What's new

05 EL Showdown: Upmann Mag 50 vs. Monte D

Christofer

Helluva Habano Herfer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
tubaman said:
It's been an EL kind of weekend for me, smoking a Cohiba Sublime on Friday, H. Upmann Magnum 50 on Saturday night and a Montecristo D today (enjoying a RyJ Churchil from 98 as I write this:yes: :yes: ). So I decided it might be interesting to make a comparison. Anyone who knows a little bit about me knows that Upmann cigars get my blood going, especially Sir Winnies, so you should keep that in mind as I write this.

The Mag 50 is a BEAUTIFUL cigar. It has such a great feel, nice and solid construction. If you like Mag 46's but wished they were a little stronger, this is the cigar for you. The flavor was a bit rough which will round out with age. The burn was quite good until the last third, then it got pretty messy, and the flavor really turned south at this point as well. If this ages anything like the Mag 46, it will be a tremendous cigar.

The Monte D is a great looking cigar with a well made cap. The recent Monte EL's have gotten some bad press lately, especially the C, but many people have found they are starting to come into their own. The burn on the cigar was good. I had to touch it up a few times, but I was also chatting online with some friends, so keep that in mind. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of this cigar. Obviously, it's quite young and tastes it, but it is very "Montecristo" in character. As much as I like the Magnum 50, I think the Monte will be even better. Only time will tell, but I liked it alot.

But I'm still an Upmann whore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
I'm your Huckleberry... :devil:

I'm going to hit the itchy finger on a bunch of boxes including the Mag 50's,
but I was wondering about the Monte's...I think I'll kill a box based on this review for some longer term patience.

I *really* want to try the RyJ Petit Pyramides!

You had those yet, Tuba?

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Christofer said:
I'm your Huckleberry... :devil:

I'm going to hit the itchy finger on a bunch of boxes including the Mag 50's,
but I was wondering about the Monte's...I think I'll kill a box based on this review for some longer term patience.

I *really* want to try the RyJ Petit Pyramides!

You had those yet, Tuba?
Why Ike, you madcap!!

Yes, I've had several from different boxes, and I have been very unimpressed, but that's just me.

Christofer

Helluva Habano Herfer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
tubaman said:
Why Ike, you madcap!!

Yes, I've had several from different boxes, and I have been very unimpressed, but that's just me.
Aw, crap.

Oh well, I guess I'll just stick to the Dunhill Cabinettas
and make the best of things. :tongueout

Couldn't you have just attributed it to the ROTT syndrome
and said you'll let them rest for 10 years?

Why so negative!? :rofl:

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to see for myself. One man's EL is another
man's treasure (or 5-pack distro source in trade for something smokeable!)

Chris

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Chris,
Vipe liked the RyJ Petite Pyramid...Variety is the spice of life!

Also thanks for the review Tubaman...I have a 5'er of Mag50's waiting to be smoked. Might light one up tommorrow.

vewyphishy

Smoking fish
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Monte D didn't do anything for me. However, the few Mag50s that I've had from my box have all been excellent. I've got a few more set aside for smoking in the near future. The rest are going away to get some age on them. Looking forward to what they will be come.

I've got a box of the RyJ PPs coming in. Hopefully, they'll be as good as I've read some reviews to be.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
If you can stick to cabinettas, more power to ya!!!!

I just didn't like the RyJ, it didn't fit what I like. I found it to be very harsh, which will probably round out with time, and one dimensional. Also the burn on the 4 or 5 I had was always poor. They came from the same box, so maybe they were just a bad batch.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Well I also fired up a Mag 50 on saturday evening as well. I found mine to be a very substancial cigar with a very nice looking wrapper and feel to it. It burned well but found it to be quite tight and took some puffing to get nice smoke in the draw. I also found it to be Tannic and quite young. I think it will age very nicely and needs some serious down time to rest and come together. I have half a box of these and will possibly fire up another one to revisit around the New Year and see how it is progressing then.

Christofer

Helluva Habano Herfer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
tubaman said:
If you can stick to cabinettas, more power to ya!!!!

I just didn't like the RyJ, it didn't fit what I like. I found it to be very harsh, which will probably round out with time, and one dimensional. Also the burn on the 4 or 5 I had was always poor. They came from the same box, so maybe they were just a bad batch.
:eyepoke:

There are just some cigars you really want to like; be it size, shape, vitola, etc.
and I really *do* hope I like these. I generally do not care for the RyJ profile
as much as others but given when/where I smoke, a "petit" anything is usually
a welcome diversion.

As far as the Cabinettas go, I'll "stick" to 'em once I actually get to try one. :headroll:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give 'em a whirl and see what I find.

I *am* very much looking forward to the Monte's however.

Chris