What's new

09 Alfonso Robusto custom roll

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

This was the first custom rolled cigar that I bought on my first visit to Cuba. I was staying at the Sirenas la Salinas in Varadero and was excited to visit the LCDH on 63rd Street.

I met the house roller Alfonso and asked him what was his favorite size to roll. He said 'robusto' and then he handed me one to try.

After I smoked 1, I bought a bundle. Haven't had one in a while and thought it would be a great way to spend a Satturday morning as I waited to our street party to begin.

The wrapper is a honey golden colorado brown. The aromas from the wrapper remind me of a mocha capuccino. Chocolate, cream and coffee. This cigar has a nice sheen to it. Very smooth to the touch. No veins to speak of.

The construction is impeccible. Solid, well packed. The triple cap is very flat, like a hammerhead. Takes easy to my punch.

Cold draw reveals cedar,spice, cocoa and just a touch of dried fruit. This should be interesting.

Time to take this to flame.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

woody, cedar, a hint of pepper, some earth. This reminds me of a hoyo for some reason. The ash is a "Dirty" grey and the draw is great.

The aroma of the smoke is very pleasant. This is a nice cigar to ease into the day with. mild to medium strength at this point. There is a nice roundness to this cigar. a nice combinaton of cedar, honey, pepper, earth and coffee. Goes well with my morning double expresso.

Light, aromatic, complex, with a touch of strength. A nice way to awaken my palate....

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Floral notes are coming to the forefront. Not in an intrusive way. A nice compliment to the coffee, cream, earth, cedar combination.

The flavours are smooth and light. No one flavour dominating. Nice variety in changes. One flavour makes a statement and then the other and so on and so on. Fun!!!!

No harshness at all. I wished I asked him the age of the tobacco used to roll this. Strength stays consistently mild to the occasional medium.

The aftertaste is a little short. Honey, a little nuttiness, combined with coffee and cedar. Wish it stayed around longer.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

A nice nutty, creamy, creme brulee and coffee flavour combination fulfills the final third. The afterfinish has gotten longer.

Strength has moved to medium. Such a great combination with kona coffee and cream.

Burn line remains razor sharp and the draw is impeccible. Smoke billows from the foot of the cigar. My neighbour from 4 doors dddown walks pass me on his was to the street party said that he can smell the cigar from his house and that it smells fantastic. (His wife won't let him smoke cigars I think. LOL)

Had to put this down for a bit as I went spulunking around the street party with the kids.

The relight is easy peasy. Hits of cedar, coffee, creme brulee and a touch of pepper join in for the encore performance. Delicious!!!!!

Time to join in the festivities. Burgers are up and I am hungry!!!!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Great review, Art, have fun at the party, heh.

Interesting, I would have pegged it for older than '09 from the sound of your review. Makes me wonder how much age the tobacco had on it as well.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Sounds like a stellar smoke, thanks for sharing. I think Alfonso will be rolling at the LCDH Toronto this week. May have to make my way down and snag a couple. Remy's anyone??

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can't believe I missed this review! This sounds like it was delicious!!! YUM :drool: