What's new

'09 Partagas 898

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Here's the review I promised...

Construction - solid - decent triple cap - nice smooth roll - medium draw
Prelight Draw - Sweet tobacco

1st Third : Cigar opens up with some nice sweet tobacco notes and hint of green. The cigar is from 09 (not sure what month) so the green notes could still be rounding out. After a few puffs, the typical leather and spice of Partagas started to show up accompanied with some dark earthy notes. The standing smoke has a distinct cinnamon raisin aroma to it which is rather nice. I decided to 'cup' the smoke and smell it, which confirmed my findings. I also got a huge blast of pepper (I coughed like a girl). Towards the ends of the 1st third, the cigar is exhibiting a lot of dry cedar and hay notes with the spice having died down considerably.

2nd Third : Started out with some milk chocolate notes that were rather predominate and unusual for this cigar in my experience. After a handful of puffs that cigar turned back to its earthy and leathery core. The cigar is noticeably sweeter at the halfway point and is sitting right around medium bodied. The end of this third is picking up in sweetness and revealing some light honey and vanilla notes.

Final Third : By the time the final third arrives the honey flavor is coming through more predominately with the standard Partagas earth/leather backbone. The spice has died down a good amount, but the final third is where this cigar really shines. This is my 3rd or 4th 898 in the past 4 months and I've noticed that the final third is always the most enjoyable and complex. The cigar finishes with some hints of orange peel, cinnamon and creamy vanilla.

Random thoughts: The ash was unusually light for a Habano... especially a relatively young one. I find these to be the refined older brother of the PSD4, but I think I still prefer the PSD4 profile more. The 898/Dalias is a sexy vitola that should be used more in NCs and CCs; almost perfect proportions.

Rating : 90 (would have been an 88 but the final third was excellent)

Pics:

My fancy new tasting notebook.... a prototype model courtesy of Kyle (aka WarpedCigars) These should be available within the new few weeks from http://maestrollc.com

And me looking stupid :

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Solid review Ryan, nice job. The box of late 09s I split have been resting peacefully all winter. Hopefully when I revisit this Spring/Summer the draw won't be as firm as the first couple I smoked were.

As for the book, it looks nicely laid out. If I ever actually took notes when I smoked, that'd be a good format to put it in.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Great review and pics, thanks bro... nice job!

That's a nice looking tasting notes book too. If at all possible, my constructive feedback for Kyle would be to add a section at the bottom for "Overall", "Notes" or something like that to write down general thoughts/opinions of the cigar. Very nice though...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Great review, Ryan! Glad you are enjoying the notebook.

That's a nice looking tasting notes book too. If at all possible, my constructive feedback for Kyle would be to add a section at the bottom for "Overall", "Notes" or something like that to write down general thoughts/opinions of the cigar. Very nice though...
Tried to incorporate it into the layout, due to the size of the pages, it wouldn't fit comfortably. The back of each sheet is blank, can be used for just that if you so wish.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Excellent review on a stick I really need to try. I agree that it is a fantastic size that is underutilized. That notebook is great. I searched for months for a decent one without any luck. I finally just settled o a leather backed journal. Thanks for the review!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Great review. IMHO, the best current production Partagas. I'm smoking 08s, which were very harsh when fresh, but have developed into strong pepper bombs.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're ability to pull out flavors is quite impressive….I have yet to acquire the ability to dissect particular flavors like that other than 'smokey' haha