What's new

10 count boxes?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
So, I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts.

Best idea to come out of Habanos, S.A. in the past few years?

Worst?

Gimmick?

Personally I think it's a great idea from the consumer stand point. I've never been a fan of the 5x5 cardboard, 7-11 packaging that used to be the only way to get anything less than a 25 count box (or 50 cab). The 10 count boxes give the consumer the chance to sample the stick without going all out for an entire 25 count box and it also allows for those who maybe don't smoke all that much and don't really need a 25 count box. Further, it's perfect for those folks with limited space who like a lot of variety.

I fall into that last category mostly. That and they are cheaper :)headroll: ). The 10 counts ALSO allow me to purchase multiple boxes of a cigar I enjoy for aging without taking up the space a 25 count would. This way I can break into a 10 count box with no guilt to smoke it and know that by the time I get through it, the next box will most likely have enough age on it for me to start smoking from it. AND, if that turns out not to be the case, I know i've found a smoke I truly love and need to bite the bullet on the full 25 count.

I believe we'll see more and more smokes introduced in 25 AND 10 count boxes. I for one like the idea and hope it sticks.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
From my limited experience (6 years ~~) I have somewhat subscribed to the theory of "wine in a bottle" maturation when it comes to cigars. but in a slightly modified way

i.e.

Magnums (1.5 L) age better than 750mL IME and proportionally better than 1/2 bottles as well (375 mL).
So... I have noticed that my 25ct SLBs aren't necessarally as rich after 4 or 5 years as some of the wheels I have sitting. So, I could surmize (sp?) that 10 ct boxes would in turn be even worse than 25for aging (how much worse is a judgement call)

Now it's just another option in the grand scheme of things. I'd probably pick up a 10er of Party 898s (I have a lot of other Partagas aging so I don't really need these) or maybe some SCdlH's if available or even VRs. In other words, it's an option for those lesser smoked cigars at my disposal. My favorite marcas would get the attention of a wheel or bundle but some "accessory" smokes could make there way into my humi with a 10er I suppose.

In conclusion; both good & bad...

If effort is put towards odd packaging or more options in lieu of quality cigars, I say screw that. Give me the smokes!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Good points from all. I like these in that when I try a cigar one, two and even three don't necessarily cut it. I hate buying a box of 25 hoping that all will be good. Ten is a good number and will allow a very good trial. The downsize is finding a great cigar and then only haveing ten. Oh well.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I love the availability of the 10 counts...like to be able to try different smokes without having to buy 25 or more.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Definitely good for the smoke now stash. It gives those with a limited budget the opportunity to get 10 without having to sell off the other 15.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the cigars are sitting side by side as in a semi plain box of ten, I don't think that the wine the bottle theory makes sense. I can definitely see how a wheel of 50 cigars might smell stronger than a comparable wheel of 25 due to the fact that the more cigars there are bunched together, the less air movenment there will be inside the box. Who knows what really happens though, I opened a box of SLR ( a semi-plain box of 25 from nov 02) that smells richer than my Cab of 50 of the same cigar from only 3 months younger in date.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I was more referring to the Party 898 type packaging that has made a reoccurance recently in the Monte D. Was something else intended with the question?
Going along with your statement, I have not done extensive research regarding 10ct bundles vs DBs or SBNs, but I would venture to say that if sealed, the building blocks are available from the cigars, regardless of how often they touch (only on sides in a flat presentation or on top/bot & sides in bundles). The surface air in a DB is more than that between the cigars in a cab, for those who are not familiar with the theory Gators is speaking of.

If the cigars are sitting side by side as in a semi plain box of ten, I don't think that the wine the bottle theory makes sense. I can definitely see how a wheel of 50 cigars might smell stronger than a comparable wheel of 25 due to the fact that the more cigars there are bunched together, the less air movenment there will be inside the box. Who knows what really happens though, I opened a box of SLR ( a semi-plain box of 25 from nov 02) that smells richer than my Cab of 50 of the same cigar from only 3 months younger in date.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I was talking of both the Party 898V 10 ct-style packaging as well as say the P2 10 ct style packaging. One's a wheel, the other is not. For that matter, one's varnished, and the other is not as well. I don't know of too many wheel style packages that aren't the varnished type packaging. Off the top of my head I can think of Party 898V and Monte Ds.
Then you have the P2 which is what, an SBN?
Then you also have the RyJ Short Churchills that just came out. 25 ct or 10ct DB. I have to figure you wouldn't really see much difference between those two. Probably between the 25/50 and 10ct wheels, maybe between the 10ct and 25ct P2-style SBN, but I just wouldn't figure the DBs would show as much.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I like the 10ct. boxes because I can buy 10 to smoke now and if I like them then I can buy the 25ct. version to put down to age while still smoking out of the 10ct. version.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great idea from a marketing postion. Allows the consumer more flexibility and access. Probably provides a better margin for the retailer.

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like to hold on to too many sealed 25-ct boxes at a time because I'm always tempted to crack one open and try one or two from a new box, so the ten counts are great because I don't have to be concerned about opening a box and tossing the remaining 8 or 9 straight into my cedar-humidor (as opposed to keeping sealed boxes in a cooler, etc.)

So, I'm all for 'em. (I know this is in the CC forum, but there aren't too many 10 count non-CCs unfortunately.)

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Dude. Boxes of Monte No 4s should be bought in 25 ct boxes, 2 at a time! :wink:

Ha-ha! I wish I could afford to do that! I blew the doors off my cigar budget for August; I literally spent 5-times-as-much as my wife initially approved of.

She bought some REALLY expensive wine to make up for it. :headroll: