What's new

10 Count Plastic Travel Humidors?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Cigar Caddy by Otterbox. I have used the cheaper ones and although they appear to be the same, they are not. Broken hinges and tabs. I still have my original fiver otterbox that is ancient. I also have the 10, 18 and 50.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Cigar Caddy by Otterbox. I have used the cheaper ones and although they appear to be the same, they are not. Broken hinges and tabs. I still have my original fiver otterbox that is ancient. I also have the 10, 18 and 50.
All the Cigar Caddy products use Otterbox cases?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
As far as I know. Cigar caddy is otterboxes name for their cigar case

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive got a Cigar Caddy 5 count.. and a Herf-a-Dor (Humi-Care brand) 5 count... (Ive also got a 40 count "Black Watch".. which is really just a relabeled "Herf-a-Dor")...

I agree with CWS.. they are not "equal".. the cigar caddy is much better built.. Seals tight as a drum, etc.. The Herf-a-Dor works fine.. but you can tell its not made as well.. cheaper latches, cheaper plastic, etc.. and the seal isnt as "tight"...

Truthfully.. for short term travel.. both work fine... If you need something that will protect your sticks, keep RH problems at bay for a week, etc.. you cant go wrong with either (IMO)...

But if you require "the best" or simply wants something rock solid/rugged.. its hard to beat Cigar Caddy...

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Ive got a Cigar Caddy 5 count.. and a Herf-a-Dor (Humi-Care brand) 5 count... (Ive also got a 40 count "Black Watch".. which is really just a relabeled "Herf-a-Dor")...

I agree with CWS.. they are not "equal".. the cigar caddy is much better built.. Seals tight as a drum, etc.. The Herf-a-Dor works fine.. but you can tell its not made as well.. cheaper latches, cheaper plastic, etc.. and the seal isnt as "tight"....
I'm interested to know when you bought each? The reason I'm asking is I have two of the older Herf-a-dors, a 5 and a 15 count. They're made of smooth ABS plastic, seal incredibly well, and are well built from ABS plastic.

I received a 10-ct Cigar Caddy last year that was not made from ABS plastic, but a ever-so-slightly more flexible material with a matte finish, and construction that didn't appear as fine. A little more bow to the plastic here and there, a seal that didn't look as tight. Dissatisfied, I ordered another Herf-a-dor, and discovered that it too was now made of the cheaper, matte-finish plastic.

My older Otterboxes have the same smooth, ABS plastic my old Herf-a-Dors are made of. I'd be interested to know if it's just the cigar versions that are now cheaper plastic, or if Otterbox outsourced all their cases?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
The cigar caddy is pretty old.. Not really sure when I bought it.. but it would have been at least 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer?).... It is ABS plastic..

the Herf-a-Dors are newer.. the 40 count I picked up probably a year ago.. and the 5 count probably 6 months ago.. neither of them are ABS.. but are the cheaper plastic you are referring to..

Something I should have mentioned in the earlier post (not really a response to lilninja's RFI).. is I beat my travel cases to hell... they travel long distances.. get thrown, dropped, etc while they are inside other bags.. get bounced around while traveling hundreds of miles on rocky/dirt roads... etc.. I dont really make any extra attempt to "care" for them.. I just fill them with sticks.. throw them in my carry on bag (usually a northface backpack).. and off I go..

And NONE of them have ever failed me...

I can just tell my Cigar Caddy is the best built of the three, uses the highest quality materials, etc..

I wouldnt hesitate to buy another "Herf-a-Dor" or "Blackwatch" case if a good deal came up on one.. they have served me just fine.. (and again, I ABUSE them.. much more than I would think most other BOTLs would..)..

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The cigar caddy is pretty old.. Not really sure when I bought it.. but it would have been at least 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer?).... It is ABS plastic..

the Herf-a-Dors are newer.. the 40 count I picked up probably a year ago.. and the 5 count probably 6 months ago.. neither of them are ABS.. but are the cheaper plastic you are referring to..
I think my suspicions are now confirmed. Your old Cigar Caddy and my old Herf-a-Dors = ABS plastic. Your new Herf-a-dors and my new Cigar Caddy = cheaper plastic.

That sucks...

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
These Herf A Dors do a great job of humidification and I can attest to the ones I won off CBID about 3 years ago...not sure about the quality after that. I have a 15, 10 and 5 count set that work really well for my travels. I agree with how they are hard to get into after being pressurized in the air but it's easy to use a dime or nickel to pop the hinge. I use one pillow for humidification but sometimes even a small pillow will be more than you need so the smart money is getting a boveda pak at around the 65% mark....works for weeks which is perfect when I take 12 to 25 day cruises.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
My 50 cigar caddy I bought used. Scuffed and not pretty it has given me years of service on planes etc. I can sit on it at the airport and read. The newer items lose the snaps and hinges. Sad

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...

As something to watch out for when ordering these newer units, here's the issue I had with the 5-count Herf-a-Dors.
Notice a nice tight seal in the middle between the latches that curls and spreads outside towards the ends.
You can actually see open space in the close-up of the gasket.
They sent me a replacement that had the same issue. Needless to say, both got returned and I didn't try again...
This thread gives me hope for finding a nice 10-count!

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
There is a company called Grammworks on IG they just put up a video today of a drop test of a herf a dor VS their product. It wasn't pretty for the herf a dor. But I don't really see myself dropping my sticks from 6 feet in the air. I mean come on unless your @skullnbones your sticks probably wont be that high in the air. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
As something to watch out for when ordering these newer units, here's the issue I had with the 5-count Herf-a-Dors.
Notice a nice tight seal in the middle between the latches that curls and spreads outside towards the ends.
You can actually see open space in the close-up of the gasket.
They sent me a replacement that had the same issue. Needless to say, both got returned and I didn't try again...
Yep. The other thing on the newer ones is if you open it up and look at the grey gasket, you'll notice a little line where it meets the other side running around most of the gasket... and no line where there's gaps due to the poor molding of the newer cases.

Honestly, I'm only getting the Xikar ABS cases from here on out, because the quality of their build is better now, even though I prefer the look of the Cigar Caddy/Herf-a-Dor

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Xikar 10ct is on today's Monster Mashup for $20.
May have to take the leap of faith based on your reco...
Yep, just picked one of those up from the monster. I am gonna just do a 65% boveda in there along with the sticks and call it good for my next vegas trip early december. Casa Fuente better be ready