What's new

100% Virgin

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's what I am to coffee, but I would like to start or try drinking it...I may have had a sip here and there as a kid, but the only thing I can remember is that it tasted horrible! Of course I know a lot more now and my tastes have changed so I want to give coffee a try again. Any rules/suggestions that I should stick to or stay away from?

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Our sponsor Black Dog Coffee has some very tasty stuff.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
black dog has a sampler, but I think it is whole bean. I always just take my whole bean coffe to the grocery store and use their grinder, so you can work that out. Starbucks is a little over roasted for a lot of coffee geeks, I like several, but the black dog and Tatuaje coffes are better.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Try the Black Dog club. You need to buy a small grinder and you will get shipments every couple of weeks. the opportunity is great. You will try some amazing and different coffees and gain some knowledge about different beans from different areas. Email Brian, tell him you are new to coffee and he will work with you. Consider it having a friend in the business. You will not be disappointed. You could start with store brands but with Black Dog you get quality and diversity. Its fun and an easy way to get started.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Just like others have said check with Brian at Blackdog. After drinking coffee on and off for a while then trying his I always have some on hand. I like to compare Brian's coffee and roasting skills like this. Compare an Illusione Cg4 to a grape flavored Philly Blunt. That's the difference between Maxwell house or Folgers canned coffee to Blackdog brew. His coffee has such a great flavor I can't bring myself to drink coffee at work with the OLD assed starbucks beans or whatever else they have. I have spoiled myself with Blackdog.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Well, I have to say that I've been sold on Black Dog - I'll be trying that out asap.

One thing I have to ask is: Why start?

It's really not very good for you.

If you insist, who am I to get in the way of a man & his vices?

Go to Dunkin Donuts, go to Starbucks, get your afternoon headaches & sleepless nights (because these are the dues of a coffee drinker.)...

Besides - how will you appreciate a good cup if you don't experience a cup of mud now & again...?

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You guys bring up a lot of good points, especially about the samplers from Black Dog! Why Start? Well, I need a pick-me-up in between class and work and I'm tired of drinking Pepsi, so I thought about trying coffee out.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Well, I have to say that I've been sold on Black Dog - I'll be trying that out asap.

Go to Dunkin Donuts, go to Starbucks, get your afternoon headaches & sleepless nights (because these are the dues of a coffee drinker.)...

Besides - how will you appreciate a good cup if you don't experience a cup of mud now & again...?

Afternoon headaches? Sleepless nights? I doubt those are going to be side effects from a cup of coffee in the afternoon. Maybe for the used car salesman (No offense to any of you) that drinks bad coffee ALL day long. The kid of guy with brown teeth adn terrible coffee breath. Then maybe i could see it. But not a single cup.

I personally drink one HUGE cup every morning, it hold like half a pot. Occasionally i'll have another smaller cup sometime during the day, and i've never had a headache because of it. Now i will say that if i have a cup in the evening, and my cups are bigger than the standard size, then i will probably sleep a litte uneasy or may take a while to get to sleep, but only if i drink that cup after 9 pm.

I say drink up Havana Joe. I started ont he coffee during the winter months. It helped that it was cold outside i think. I also started on really good coffee. I think i bought some Tanzania Peaberry from a private roaster for my first go...i liked the name. If you try bad stuff first, then you're not going to like it.

Just my .02

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Also, as others have said, starbucs is generally strong coffee. i would recommend against it as your first experience. Try to find a little gourmet coffee shop that grinds there own beans. But starbucs woudl be better than dunkin donuts or the new Mcdonalds coffee.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I don't get afternoon headaches. Then again after I drink coffee in the morning I drink water all day long. I even recall reading someplace that a cup or two a day is actually good for you. The unhealthy part of coffee is the oils in the beans that you can get if you don't use a paper filter. The paper absorbs the oil (and the flavor it imparts) so that's why hardcore people use something that does not remove the oils.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
HavanaJoe,

I noticed that you're NW of Philly - where about? I think it's time for a Northeast Herf - how about you?

Anyway - Headaches - I'll get them in the afternoon & be a zombie by 3:30 if I have not had any coffee (at all) - I drink one big one in the morning, and one cup late afternoon - sometimes in the evening on weekends. It can be a slippery slope. That's all I'm saying.

Same thing with smoking - If you smoke too much, you get a habit & can potentially spend too much of your roll on smokes, etc.

I don't drink, so I smoke my cigars & drink my coffee... I'm not complaining, just accepting that these types of activities have their cons - for me, they are outweighed by the pros.

No- a 'cup of joe' in the afternoon will not likely lead to sleepless nights.
But nicotine and caffine are two of the more potent & habit forming drugs in the world. To deny that is to deny common sense.

ps- Good point: Gale - Starbucks is WAY strong! & Eodcole - plenty of water does help!

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm in Limerick, a little north of King of Prussia/Philly...A NE Herf would be awsome!! I know that there are some other bros in this area too! As far as the coffee goes, you guys are making my mouth water!! :yes: So Starbucs is out of the question, at 1st, I'll have to keep you guys posted with what I try first.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
go witht eh black dog or the tatuaje coffees. If i had any Jamaican Blue Mountain left i send you some of that. best stuff in the world!

I'll be buying another 5 lb bag for christmas, so there'll be some of it going around here after that.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0

Ah. But anything can be done to excess. I used to drink coffee like I drank scotch for the buzz. Not necessary. I love to taste different coffees. I dont drink Dunkin Donuts or MacDonalds because I want to taste the coffee, saviour it. Same with cigars. I can get cheap bundled cigars that will give me a nicotine kick but why bother. I can get that from cigarettes. I see coffee a lot like cigars. Different flavors and blends, strengths. All up for the trying.