What's new

11% of kids have ADHD

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
New data reveals 11 percent of children 4 through 17 have been diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, otherwise known as ADHD.

The statistics, which were compiled from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data by the New York Times, also showed that almost one in five high school boys have ADHD.

Children with ADHD often have trouble paying attention, controlling impulsive behaviors and/or are overly active. Symptoms also include daydreaming a lot, not seeming to be listening or being easily distracted from schoolwork or play, forgetting things, talking too much, acting and speaking without thinking, not being able to play quietly, having trouble taking turns, interrupting others and squirming or fidgeting.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57577267/11-percent-of-school-aged-kids-diagnosed-with-adhd/

Oh, they mean the same behaviors that kids everywhere have exhibited since the beginning of time. What a load of BS. Big pharma, with the willing aid of psychologists (which is itself a BS profession, but that's another rant) has done one helluva job convincing educators and parents that their kids need to be doped up to conform to some non-existent standards of normalcy.

Parents, don't buy into it. When you medicate your kids, you're telling them that there is something wrong with them. Being a kid is already tough enough without being saddled with some artificial handicap. You're also unconsciously giving your kid the go-ahead to behave inappropriately. After all it's not him, it's the ADHD. We'll just increase his dosage.

11% my ass.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I agree that our newer generations are over medicated for anything. They blame everything on ADHD and then drug up the kids.

I also believe attention spans are just plain shorter due to the advancements in technology. We are able to have everything now and at any place that we have killed our own ability to have patience.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Here's the thing. With all the crap they get in their food, and all the TV and video games, I actually believe that kids have more behavioral problems today than they ever used to.

The learning disabilities children have today are very real, but the solution is not big pharma, they and the massive food companies are to blame for this mess because of what they're putting into our food. The solution is feeding kids healthy, natural food, knock it off with the green yogurt and the bright yellow mac n cheese, and the pink ice cream, and the McDonalds, and the giant, hormone-laced chicken breasts. Give them natural food raised naturally, and wean them off of the media and make them play in the yard or at the park.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
My nephew has HDADD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's AMAZINGLY clear.”

― Steven Wright

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
By that description I had ADHD when I was a kid. My father kept it in check without any visits to the doctor’s office and drugs. I used the same parenting with my kids and they did not have ADHD. I'm not saying there are not real situations where these kids have a problem and need medical attention. Appears to be the easy way out, might be time get back to basic parenting.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was heavily medicated as a child and heavily medicated myself as a teenager and young adult. Now that I am totally free of all drugs, prescribed or not, I feel way more normal than I ever have. Fwiw. I think the behavioral health field is going to have a hell of a time dealing with such a medicated population. Certainly believe that powerful ADD drugs played a part in all of my issues. Go figure I'm doing better in things like school and work where my "ADD" should be screwing me now that I'm unmedicated.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
To be clear, I don't believe that ADHD is a totally fabricated malady. I just don't think that it's anywhere near as widespread as we're led to believe. From the article:

The number is a 16 percent increase from 2007, when only 9.5 percent of parents reported that their child had been diagnosed with ADHD. It's gone up 53 percent in the last 10 years.
If you're seeing a 53% increase in anything over 10 years, the first thing you should suspect is that your methodology is flawed.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
there ARE people who do benefit from ADHD type medications. a friend of mine recently (and VERY cautiously) got a perscription for himself after working with his primary physician for years, and is grateful for it.

one tenth of our kids having ADHD, though, is crap. it sounds more that parents and teachers lack attention to give, and want a shortcut. and money grubbing drug industry types. i am immensely thankful for a catholic school upbringing, where a book hurled across the room at me did more for my attention span than any drug could, and left a longer lesson.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gee I think every one I knew (including me) had all them symptoms when we where young. Back then it wasn't know as ADHD, it was called being a kid, the usual medication was spanking, grounding, or the good old slap to the back of the head.

The problem is that too many kids get lumped into the classification, making it harder for the kids who really do need help.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I would like to point out psychologists don't prescribe drugs, psychiatrists do. They have no connection to big pharmaceutical companies. If the therapist feels they cannot make progress with mere counseling, behavioral conditioning, etc. then the decision is made to refer the patient to a psychiatrist who can then prescribe drugs. Every case is different but many skip seeing a psychologist and or getting a second opinion before allowing pharmaceutical treatments to be given. Misdiagnosis is a very real problem and no matter how experienced people make mistakes. Be informed and seek out conventional treatments when you feel or someone at your child's school suggests there is an issue.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Big pharm loves these kinds of studies. Anyone ever see the South Park episode for ADHD and how to deal with it?