What's new

12 Days until USA!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
So after more than 3 years in Japan, I'll finally be moving back to the US in just 12 days! I haven't even been in the US in 28 months.

I'm going to be living in the Twin Cities--my hometown--where I haven't lived since 2005.

Things are going to be crazy at first--moving, jetlag, I'm speaking at a conference in Arden Hills on August 9th, then flying to St. Louis to pick up my car from storage ... crazy crazy.

But around mid-August I should be able to start meeting up for herfs and stuff, so be on the lookout, MN brothers! I'll try to party while I can, because baby #3 is due in early November!

So yea, really busy but also pretty excited. I'm NOT very excited about the international flight with just me and the two kids (3 and 5) ... yikes.

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Nice man. Welcome back to Errmerica. After picking up your car in St. Louis stop by KC. I'm sure all the BOTLs will come out and smoke with you.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Wow! I didn't know you were in Japan. When I was a teenager we lived in Camp Zama for three years. Love Japan. But oh man, that jet lag is not fun. Have fun re-learning how to drive over here. Oh, and bing me some udon and gyoza.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'm NOT very excited about the international flight with just me and the two kids (3 and 5) ... yikes.
Having done an international flight with my nephews... God's speed, sir.

Looking forward to meeting up for a smoke!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I'm NOT very excited about the international flight with just me and the two kids (3 and 5) ... yikes.
There aint no "short" way home from Narita either.. youre looking at a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG series of flights...

Hopefully youre flying ANA... they are pretty good about doing whatever they can to help you out, make you comfortable, etc.... (unlike US based carriers.. who these days basically tell you to "suck it"...)....

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
There aint no "short" way home from Narita either.. youre looking at a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG series of flights...
Best of luck with the flight brutha. I made the trek from guam 4 times (which took me through Narita), make sure your devices are charged, lol. Make sure you bring a pen with you though!!! You dont want to get stuck with the little ones at customs while you fill forms out, doing it on the plane is so much easier. Again, good luck and welcome back!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Welcome home to MN Nate.....Looking forward to meeting you in person and herfing!!!

Mdwest made it sound bad but the flight from Narita is a direct shot to MSP and (only?) takes 10 hours because of the tailwind. I've done it 21 times but have never done it with a couple of small kids though. I'll be praying for a safe flight and calm kids.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Don't suppose you can smuggle in some Suntory whisky for me...LOL
glad you making it back home brother...doesn't seem like you've been gone for three years. Time flies! I spent almost 3 1/2 years at the same base you did and loved it. I do miss it at times and have great memories. You'll have to join the Misawa FB page. Alot of good stuff on there.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thanks for all the well wishes, gang!

We're actually flying out of Misawa via a military charter (The Patriot Express). That's good and bad. The good is that we don't have to go through Tokyo (Narita airport), because that sucks balls, especially with little ones. The bad is that it's the oldest 747 known to man, so no personal video screens, etc. It's direct to Seattle, and we'll be spending the night there with my inlaws before flying to MSP the next day, which is also good

It will be great having family to help out once we get there, but I'm not looking forward to the 10-hour flight plus immigration and customs with the little ones (I do get to use the Military line, at least).

I did buy a new iPad Mini, though, which they haven't even played with yet. So that should entertain them ... i literally bought it just for this trip, though I'm pretty excited to have one now (my first iPad). Filled it with kids' games and movies, so they should be glued to that thing (as long as they don't fight over it, lol).

So keep me in your prayers for Tuesday the 30th (evening of Monday the 29th for most of you).

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I forgot that you wont be going all the way to the east coast..

I used to make the Narita - Dulles direct flight a couple of times a year...

roughly 14 hours... and 12 time zones (jet lag was bad..)..

Overnighting in Seattle.. and then picking up the rest of the trip the next day will make it much more bearable..

Clearing customs in Seattle will be a whole lot better than Dulles or Ohare or one of the other monster airports as well...

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Very cool Nate. A little proactive but Welcome Home my friend. Sage travels.