What's new

12 Gauge Pump Recommendations?

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my wife wants a 12 gauge pump shotgun for home protection. I would like to keep the price as low as possible, since (I hope) the gun will be shot only occasionally at the range and otherwise will sit unused. Recommendations and approximate prices would be appreciated. I assume that the first recommendation will be not to piss her off :eyebrow:, but I really am looking for make and model suggestions.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not much chance of a photo like that: our son is 31 :halfgrinw. Seriously, thanks for the suggestions, and I welcome any more that might come along. Is it possible and worthwhile to buy shotguns on line, or should/must I stick with a local dealer?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Not much chance of a photo like that: our son is 31 :halfgrinw. Seriously, thanks for the suggestions, and I welcome any more that might come along. Is it possible and worthwhile to buy shotguns on line, or should/must I stick with a local dealer?

um , yeah, that would be really f'd up

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
If you want something that you know will never fail and is a tried and true design I would suggest a Remington 870. They are such a readily available gun that you should be able to get a used one for really cheap. I have the Remington 1100(semi auto version of 870) and have never once had a problem or complaint about it.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
You can buy it online, but it must be transferred to a local dealer under federal law if from another state. You will have to pay a transfer fee, and in this state, sales tax based upon the value of the item, NOT the transfer fee, which is typically about $25. Makes no sense to buy online in this case since it would likely be more costly.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Personally I would go with a Mossberg 500 over any Remington. Mossberg is what the Navy uses and is a tried and true gun.

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Personally I would go with a Mossberg 500 over any Remington. Mossberg is what the Navy uses and is a tried and true gun.
Good call, if your wife is petit I recommend the mossberg 500 rolling thunder, as it will help control the muzzle.

Ammunition is just as important to take under consideration. If she is a crack shot stick with Frderal "tactical" 00-buck. If you are worried about shot placement during stress have the first shell be bird shot or #4.

Practice, practice, practice! Develop muscle memory for you and her both on the range AND with dry runs in the house while keeping it in your storage location up to the point of target acquisition with an unloaded firearm.

Best of luck"

Last edited:

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are the tried and true performers here. Mossberg has a little shorter length of pull and may fit your wife better...safety on the Mossberg is a little better positioned and easier for most folks to click off. Can't go wrong with either one though.
I have a Remington 870 in the marine finish (rustproof) and I love it.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Price-wise, $350 should get you a basic model new, although you can run the price up with add ons. Most gun stores will have used for around $250 or so.
While somewhat expensive, an almost must have for home defense is a forend with a light, such as from Surefire. Chances are that if you need it, it will be in the middle of the night and you need to be sure of what you're shooting at.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I don't know the stature and build of your wife, but if my wife wanted a shotgun I'd get her a Remington 870 Express Youth in a 20 gauge. It has a shorter length of pull and 20 gauge is very manageable but will still do the right job. These can be had for less than 300 new.

Regards,
Randy

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have a set of Browning BPS 12, 16 and 20. Love em all. Wife chose the 12 and likes the feel.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Have you thought about a tarus Judge?, yes i know not a 12 guage, but it will not go throught the walls. it is easy to keep in a night stand. they make great rounds for it. just something to think about

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Have you thought about a tarus Judge?, yes i know not a 12 guage, but it will not go throught the walls. it is easy to keep in a night stand. they make great rounds for it. just something to think about
Nooooooooooo.
I don't want to start a war, but I recommend steering clear of the Judge. All testing so far has shown it to be useless as a .410

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Mossberg would be my choice, I have owned one for years and I am looking to pick up another one soon. For simple point and click home defense, there's none better.