What's new

15 Year old Tobacco?

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
However, Lew’s articles did make me question the apparently large quantity of quality tobacco available now when some of the more well known sticks at the time apparently suffered for lack of stock to maintain their previous quality.
I agree 100%...it's the large quantity now that makes my spidey-sense tingle.

But I still believe that SOME tobacco slipped through the cracks here and there. Not any substantial amount, mind you, but a bale or two here, a bale or two there. Forgotten stuff, mislabeled stuff...you know, all the crap that happens in the 3rd word that those of us here in the 1st world have trouble even imagining.

Overall, I agree with Lew...it's his sweeping generalizations and blanket statements I disagree with.

Well, unless he's omnipotent. :angel:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I never knew the wrappers were from '90 and '92. I thought it was just another marketing gimmick like '64 and '26 lines from Padron. Interesting read guys :thumbsup:

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There were and are still some tobacco farms, albeit smaller, that keep very fine, aged leaves. My friend who is 5th generation gets this tobacco from his family in Latin America and other parts of the world. If his family does not have it, he gets it from other families. The leaves he buys range from 8 to 40 years old. There is a definite difference between the aged leaves and the younger leaves in appearance and taste. As far as what big manufacturers get and claim, I do not know.

As far as using leaves from the top of the plant, those are usually referred to as ligero leaves and are used rather extensively for many stronger cigars. Ligero leaves get the most sunlight and are thus the strongest.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
OK my $.02.

First off I love the RP 92's. Mmmmmmm (no mater were or when the tobacco came from. LOL)

It seems that if they were getting the tobacco from "here and there" it would be hard if not impossible to keep the lines (90's and 92's) consistent. Instead of guessing, I'll see if I can find an email address for RP and see what they/he has to say. It would be interesting to see there side of it.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What a Co-inky-diny ... I was in my local last week and they had some "Legal Cubans" for sale. "Legal" because they claim they found this pre-Castro cuban tobacco in a warehouse in New Jersey. Supposedly, this tobacco has been sitting around for some 50 years ... so they "just" rolled it and VOILA !!!!!!! legal cuban cigars !!!!!

Who maintained this "lost" stuff for 50 years ??? Was the temp and humidity controlled to give the best aging conditions?? How much of that wonderful New Jersey smell seeped into the flavor of the leaves ???? Are they sure they didn't find it under the Brooklyn Bridge???

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
What a Co-inky-diny ... I was in my local last week and they had some "Legal Cubans" for sale. "Legal" because they claim they found this pre-Castro cuban tobacco in a warehouse in New Jersey. Supposedly, this tobacco has been sitting around for some 50 years ... so they "just" rolled it and VOILA !!!!!!! legal cuban cigars !!!!!

Who maintained this "lost" stuff for 50 years ??? Was the temp and humidity controlled to give the best aging conditions?? How much of that wonderful New Jersey smell seeped into the flavor of the leaves ???? Are they sure they didn't find it under the Brooklyn Bridge???

If they are anything with Pinar in the name, it is legal pre-embargo tobacco. But if I were you, I would run like hell and not even think of buying to even try a stick for the price most are asking.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
PM sent :waving:

Thanks man!

Here is a copy of the email I sent.

eMail said:
To: Rocky Patel

Hello. Recently the subject of the age of tobacco in the RP '90 and '92 lines came up on one of the cigar forums that I frequent. There is speculation that the tobacco comes from a bunch of "Mom & Pop" farms, or that it's just a marketing ploy. So instead of just taking another UNeducated guess (LOL), I thought that I would go strait to the source and ask. Where does all the aged tobacco come from? I don't expect you to give away trade secrets, so just the general idea will be fine. Also, I would like your permission to reprint your response on the forum that brought up the question. Thank you for your time and keep up the great work!!

~ Rodney (SmokinAFuente)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Re: Pinars. A local B&M sells them. The family that owns the particular chain here in San Antonio is owned by “the colonel”, as this patriarch is known, who is a past president of RTDA and seems quite honest and reputable. Anyway, I was skeptical but here is essentially what they told me. Just before the embargo this company has tons of cuban tobacco in a warehouse in the Northeast. The person who owned the company died and this asset as wells as millions of dollars of other assets were frozen (not literally, this is a term of art) and ordered preserved while the family and others fought over the assets for many years. eventually the prevailing party sent the tobacco down to - I think- the DR where it was rolled into cigars. THATS the story anyway - can't vouch for it but what I can tell you is that the Pinars I've smoked from this shop are exquisite. my two cents for what its worth.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I tried one of the "puro" Pinar I think 3000 or something like that :dunno: Was a turd rocket all the way. Certainly NOT worth the $12 bucks I paid for it and the $10 for the other turd I tried to smoke before tossing it away after a few puffs. The second was the 75% Cuban filler and DR wrapper I believe.

The Pinar tobacco was stored in some warehouse for years in Tampa or outside the city where they used to roll Cuban tobacco before the embargo. They call it Pinar for the Cuban Provence was said to be from, same story I got at our local B&M. These fall under the never try again category.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I tried one of the "puro" Pinar I think 3000 or something like that :dunno: Was a turd rocket all the way. Certainly NOT worth the $12 bucks I paid for it and the $10 for the other turd I tried to smoke before tossing it away after a few puffs. The second was the 75% Cuban filler and DR wrapper I believe.

The Pinar tobacco was stored in some warehouse for years in Tampa or outside the city where they used to roll Cuban tobacco before the embargo. They call it Pinar for the Cuban Provence was said to be from, same story I got at our local B&M. These fall under the never try again category.
Couldn't say it any better!!!! TURD Rocket!:thumbsup:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've always wondered where the decade+ aged NC tobacco comes from for some of these cigars...and how long can they keep producing the cigars? I mean if you still see RP 90's and 92's 5 years from now pumping out thousands of cigars a year, you have to wonder when they'll run out....if it actually is aged tobacco.

Interesting thread Dan!