What's new

$150 for a bottle of beer?

lambing

San Jose, CA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heard an interview with the Samuel Adams brewmaster, talking about their new "Utopius" .

No head, it competes with high-end ports and sherries, bu it's still beer.

Sounded interesting until he mentioned the price - $150 a bottle.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah it's supposed to be like a liquor, not really a beer. The bottle looks cool as hell. Dogfish Head out of Delaware makes something called Fort or Forte (can't remember) that is like this. And I think it's cheaper.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
It's $5 bucks an ounce. I have not yet purchased a bottle but will be in the near future.

If you are a beer aficionado, you will understand this is a specialty item just like specialty items with single malt scotches or wine.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yeah but at $150 a bottle for scotch, I'm getting drunk if Idrink half the bottle. $150 for a bottle of beer and I'll have to spend a Grand to catch a buzz. II can appreciate collectors items, but you are going to drink it right?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think you're missing the point.

When you spend that large amount of scotch, I would assume you're buying it for the taste and complexity of the flavor, not for the ability to get drunk.

The same applies for this bottle of beer. The complexities and its ability to age over time is why you buy it. Not to get drunk.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
You would not drink this in one sitting. A lot of beer aficionados will have an ounce per year, and reflect on the changes in the beer over the course of a few years.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Tom
Just looked it up on the Sam Adams website. It seems to be a sort of sipping beer. Now it makes a little more sense. I couldn't find the size of the bottle. Is it a 750ml?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I think you're missing the point.

When you spend that large amount of scotch, I would assume you're buying it for the taste and complexity of the flavor, not for the ability to get drunk.

The same applies for this bottle of beer. The complexities and its ability to age over time is why you buy it. Not to get drunk.

No I understand, I acctually would not drink an entire bottle of anything that expensive in one sitting. I do love experienceing a great scotch or beer for that matter. However The one great thing about enjoying alcohol is it does have a wonderful side affect. I also did not realize you would be able to open this and keep it for a year. I just figured a beer goes bad after an hour or so once opened. I know a good wine wil oxidize after being opened unless it is stored agian in an airtght caraffe.

Enjoy your beer Tom, tell us how it is.

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a few buddies here at work that are real beer aficionados and it's crazy how similar the two hobbies are. That is my cigars and their beer.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1

Sam Adams Utopias MMII™ is the only beer (domestic or import) brewed with a fine selection of Noble hops, Hallertau Mittelfrueh, Tettnang Tettnanger, Spalt Spalter and Czech Saaz. The brew is then aged in port, scotch and cognac barrels. The brew uses: 2 Row Harrington, Caramel and Vienna Malts. The aroma offers the distinctive smell of cinnamon and vanilla with subtle hints of floral, citrus and pine. Sam Adams Utopias MMII offers a rich taste that is surprisingly light on the palette, featuring a smooth, lingering finish. Samuel Adams Utopias MMII, the strongest beer in the world to date, has 24 percent alcohol by volume.

Anybody up for a "Bottle Split"! :hysterica

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not carbonated,but there is also a triple boch and a chocolate boch that
are very very good and realy hard to find.I belive that there is some sort of ale also.They are all very good,they are all ment to be sipped on.