What's new

18 mile skydive

Nemo

batsh!t crazy
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
This guy has a major set of balls on him! Good luck and Godspeed! I had heard it was supposed to be at 23 miles up? Did they change it?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I believe its 23 miles as well.

And yes, this dudes balls are soo huge which is one reason he will drop at the speed of sound....... I keep looking at pics of the previous jump, and I think I would have crapped my space suit.... To stand out of something and look at the curvature of the earth... Holy space balls batman!

Good luck Felix (not that you've ever seen BOTL)

-Chrisso

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
youre right.. its 23 miles...

his "test" jump a few months ago was at 18 miles..

Felix is a wild man.. google him.. he has done some incredible stuff with his wing suit..

I think its cool that Colonel Kittenger (the guy that has held the record since the 1970's) is coaching him and will be on the radio talking him "down" through the entire jump...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
And yes, this dudes balls are soo huge
I think they had special pouches sewn into his space suit just to hold them lol....

Im a skydiver/parachutist... I cant even imagine the work it takes to make something like this happen.. traveling at 500+ MPH, literally one slight mistake in body posture, and he could send himself into a terminal spin that he cant get out of...

This isnt like jumping at 12,000 feet where mistakes can be made and recovered from...

He is going to have to make a perfect jump, in every aspect....

This is some serious coolness..

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This thing is freaking crazy. But probably one of the coolest things that is not getting enough main stream coverage.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Had no idea this was happening but read and watched the videos about this guy....amazing that the mind can even accept the feat of doing this with all of the obstacles that are in front of him. Imagine at the very start of the jump and actually seeing how far up you are....enough to make anyones testicles revert back to where they started. He has to do an hour and a half pre breathing exercises before doing this...I can't get my head around something this big. Thx for the story and links...very amazing thing here.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like the mission is currently a go. Once inflated, the helium balloon will take 3 hrs to reach altitude. The red bull site says the balloon material is 1/10 the thickness of a ziplock bag. Scary!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aborted for today. I happened to be watching in real time and stuff was blowing around, including the balloon. As I'm thinking "the balloon hitting the ground can't be a good thing", I hear the work abort. Oh well.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Wow, the old record was set 52 years ago 18 miles up as an Air Force tester... guy went 614 mph in his free fall!?! This guy wanted to be the 1st guy to break the sound barrier in his free fall! :wtf:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
10 mins ago they said the main ballon cant be inflated more then once...... Ooooops. Only one back up left now.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
During the live stream, as the balloon was blowing into the ground by a gust of wind (remember, it's 1/10 the thickness of a ziplock bag), the camera in mission control focused on the meteorologist . He looked like he was going to puke! If there is only one balloon left, he better not get the next forecast wrong.