What's new

$2.45 a gallon

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Just what I was thinking Kevin. It's still not a bargain to me, but I have to pay it.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hope to see prices that low here one day, regular is down to 2.76. Unfortunatly, since we have one of the highest gas taxes I'm not sure how much lower it will go.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's in the 2.50 region here in San Antone, I can remember when we first moved to Houston, back in '95, when reg. unleaded was .85 cents per gallon

drew

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
See this is what pisses me off living in a college town, they charge out the ass. It's $2.56-$2.59 here.

sleepydoc

Gas Passer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We've got it for about $2.43 here but we are losing 5 cents per gallon. Having to make up the difference inside the store.
Interesting.

We can get it for $2.29 or less at Sam's, $2.34 everywhere else.

Taxes........:angryteet

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting.

We can get it for $2.29 or less at Sam's, $2.34 everywhere else.

Taxes........:angryteet
It's not just taxes. Oil companies generally charge different prices for gasoline in different markets. (Whatever the market will bear, usually.) Gasoline can vary quite a bit even in the same state due to contracted prices and local market conditions. Normally we buy from Flint Hills in Waco, but sometimes Flint Hills in San Antonio is cheaper. Sometimes the local depot will have a competitive price, but not often. There is also the freight cost depending on the distance between the depot and the stores.

Competition from big box retailers like HEB, Walmart and Sam's is the biggest reason that we are losing money marketing gasoline. Good for the consumer, bad for the retailer. Sam's competitor Costco lost so much money last year selling gasoline it actually caused corporate earnings to be less than projected and ultimately dropped the stock price.

The oil companies we are buying from are not losing money. Most of our stores are branded with a fairly small regional oil company and even they cannot spend their profits fast enough. They have bought a chain of convenience stores, three refineries, a pipeline and an asphalt plant just this year. They also paid off all of their corporate debt and have a large cash reserve.