What's new

2001 Padron 5000 Maduro

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

This is my first Padron that's been aged longer than 3 years. It's still amusing to me how they lose their "box press" over time. Without further ado, on with the review!

On lighting, I already get hints of chocolate and cedar. None of the Maduro punch is present anymore. This has "evolved" into a sweet, smooth cigar. I'd say that it's changed from a medium/full cigar to a mild/medium cigar. If it wasn't for that hint of sweetness, I'd swear it wasn't a maduro.

After the first inch, it mellowed out even more to a completely mild cigar. The main flavors are cedar, slight chocolate taste, and very (and I mean very) earthy. and the finish has a nice raisin-like sweetness. There's also a spice present in the finish (spice like herbs not like piquant). This is very smooth, produces plumes of smoke, and has a very creamy mouthfeel. The smoke feels like it coats the inside of mouth and leaves a lingering sensation after exhalation.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/sirxlaughs/IMG_0099.jpg[img]

[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/sirxlaughs/IMG_0100-1.jpg

At about the halfway mark, the strength picks up. The cigar has hints of leather now. The chocolate taste is still there, but it's more bittersweet now (think more of a dark chocolate). I'm really enjoying the finish. There's also still no piquancy to be seen in this smoke. I'm just wishing I had brewed some coffee to pair with this. This isn't a very complex smoke, but it's darn tasty. It's definitely a change of pace from the intensity of a fresh one.

Getting to the end now, and there's really not much more to say about this one. As I mentioned, it's not a complex smoke and there isn't all that much going on. What there is, though, is all good. :ccowboy:The biggest change at the end is the increase in leather and "darkness" of the chocolate. There's still a sweet taste and a smooth finish. With about 2 inches left, I start getting some mild piquancy (probably due to the heat). It doesn't linger, but being a fan of piquant smokes, this is a welcome flavor for me.
As a final word - For anyone who's ever been afraid to age Padrons - don't be. Unless, of course, you prefer them punchy and young. I'd also go so far as to say this cigar has passed its peak and am curious to see how they'd be at around 5 years. Seeing how mellow these have become, there's no where to go but "mellower." I don't see myself holding on to these for long anyway. :headroll:

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Nice review :thumbsup:. I love me some Padron, they seem to disappear from my humidor at an alarmingly fast rate which makes aging them kind of tough :laugh:.

Dan