What's new

2006 Fuente Anejo no.50

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I haven't done a review for BOTL in a while, but when WB handed me this 5 year old Anejo, I knew I had to write it up for the forum! This no.50 measures in at 5.25x50. I haven't had an Anejo with this much time on it before, so I am pretty interested to see what it will taste like!

The wrapper on this Anejo has retained a nice amount of oil that you can feel against your fingertips. The overall construction looks good and it has a firm, even roll to it without any soft spots. The aroma at the foot is of aged tobacco, a musty cedar and an almost boozy characteristic. After a very clean cut with my Palio the draw has some resistance but is nowhere near being tight. The prelight draw shows a dark, fruity flavor.

Once lit, this Anejo starts off very smooth and rich with flavors of dusty cocoa, a hint of that dark fruity flavor I noted on the prelight draw, and an underlying sweetness. This cigar has a lot of flavor, but is light and crisp on the palate. The burnline is dead even and the white fell at just over an inch. After the first inch the fruity flavor has really backed off and the flavor profile has darkened up a bit. Now I am getting some leather and espresso and the dusty cocoa has become more of a dark chocolate flavor. There is a great complexity to this cigar, with new flavors coming and going with each draw. I would say at this point that this is a medium strength/full flavored cigar. At the halfway point the flavors have stayed pretty consistent.

Entering the final third and I am really enjoying this cigar! The smoke has gotten a little heavier on the palate and the flavor profile seems to be getting even darker and richer, with the dark chocolate and espresso being the two main flavors. The underlying sweetness on the finish has taken on an almost syrupy quality. The burn has been even so far without needing any touchups. I enjoyed this one until I was just about burning my fingers.

Overall I really enjoyed this Anejo no.50! I havent ever really chased down Anejos, smoking maybe one or two a year but this one makes me want to keep a few around! This blend has aged very well, and while 6 years isn't what a lot of people consider a truly aged cigar, you can definitely taste the difference compared to a fresh one. I found this to be a full bodied/flavored cigar with a solid medium/full strength level by the end. Thanks again to WB for this great cigar!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Reviews like this just keep upping my motivation to find a job here at school.

Thanks for sharing brother!

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review!

I've got a bunch of these, in several different vitolas, and I've smoked a few, rested up to 15 months, and haven't been overly impressed. I was thinking about selling the rest, but your review is convincing me to hang onto them and see what another year or two does to them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review. I have a few sampler packs from Tampa Sweethearts resting since last Xmas....gonna let 'em rest as long as possible.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
All the good Fuentes get MUCH better with age. 5- years vs 15-months will yeild a big difference. I personally love them, but the are nowhere near as dynamic (i.e. change in flavors throughout the smoking time) as the Casa or Opus, so I can see how some may not.

BTW, I consider these to be the world's first and best infused cigar.