What's new

2009 Hamlet Robusto Extra closed foot, pigtail custom roll

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

The 2009 Hamlet Robusto Extra Custom Roll is a long cigar. 7 inches by 48 ring gauge. It has a closed foot and pig tail triple cap.

The wrapper itself is a gorgeous, golden hue of colorado brown. No visible veins and silky smooth to the touch. There is a little give when I sqeeze the body of the cigar. The aroma emanating from the wrapper reminds me a Jersey milk chocoate bar. Creamy, milk chocolate with a touch of coffee and toffee.

The tobacco used for this has been aged 3 years and has been sitting for a year since it was rolled. I haven't smoked one in a while as I am down to my last 11 (now 10 after this LOL). This bundle has been aging for 3 years now at the bottom of one of my coolidors.

My punch goes through the expertly constructed triple cap with ease. Inital cold draw reveals spice and chocolate covered almonds. The draw itself is perfect. An easy pull with slight resistance. Just the way I like it.

Time to take this to the flame.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Initial puffs brings an instant memory of an Oh Henry Chocolate Bar. Waves of rich, creamy chocolate, nuts, and caramel. There is an faint touch of spice. Delightful.

The smoke off of the cigar is significant. Copious amounts of smoke both through the head and foot. The draw is mesmerizing. Amazing that this cigar is fully hand rolled with no molds used at all. The burn line is razor sharp.

A clean tobacco aftertaste lasts a long time. A little earthiness and expresso bean is starting to make an appearance. Starting to get into a zen like state as I watch the cars drive past my front patio.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

As I enter the 2nd third, all I can think about is a caramal mocha cuppucino with nutmeg. Beautiful flavours of expresso, creamy milk chocolate, caramel and spice in perfect harmony.

Burn light continues to be razor sharp. Aromatics from the smoke reminds me of freshly baked molten lava chocolate cake. Delicious!

Draw is incredible. The smoke itself has a cool mouthfeel however, the billows of smoke coming off of this cigar is impressive. Pairing this cigar with water to keep the flavours pure. The aftertaste is pure, unadultered tobacco. Fantastic!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Entering the final third. In the home stretch now. I licked my lips and tastes expresso and cocoa. The cigar is still burning well. No touchups or relights required.

The ash started off whitish is now a dirty grey. Little white bubbles has shown up on the ash.

The core flavours of creamy, milky chocolate, caramel and nutmeg are still there however, they have taken a back seat to earthy, expresso flavours. The overall strength of the cigar has picked up as well. As I smoke through the final third, there is a bit of hay and cream coming through. Reminds me of a montecristo, just amplified.

Nice robust flavours continue to keep me engaged in the journey. The aftertaste is strong expresso coffee and lasts even longer. It's like I am chewing the flavours.

Final impressions to follow shortly.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

A total 180 at the end of the cigar. As the final third drew to a close, a wave of leather, earth, dried nuts,black coffee and spice came to the forefront. Didn't see this coming. An explosion of flavour like fireworks on the fourth of July! A total surprise!

Final Impressions: In a word: awesome! 3 years in the humidor has done this cigar well. That last blast of strength makes me think back to when I initially received and smoked these. Pure power. A reminder of past cigars. Mucho Fuerte!

The first 2 thirds brought me through a cornucopia of flavours, both robust and delicate. The final third really kept me guessing, particularly when I hit the boldness.

A well made cigar. The final 10 will be earmarked to enjoy annually. A product of a truly great friend and roller.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Great review again Art, thanks. I loved the few Hamlets I've smoked and hope to get more, great cigars!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Excellent review. Since Taboada retired, IMHO, Hamlet makes the best custom rolls. He seems to have access to the finest tobacco. I'm almost finished a bundle of Cervantes from 2008. Very strong & earthy tasting cigars- just the way I like them. Personally, I prefer Hamlet's cigars on the fresher side. Prime time being 1-3 years of age, but that's just my taste.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great review! Sounds delicious! Too bad I don't have much access to custom rolls such as these, they sound fantastic.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Don't listen, Art...... the crowd will NEVER be happy. First, they said your reviews were useless without pics... now they need to be in color. This is why a buddy and I started slowly compiling our reviews on a private site - silly us... our pics were with lousy camera phones because we don't typically travel with a professional camera wherever we go and choose to enjoy life without pausing to snap photos of it all... our pics were sometimes too blurry for the crowd.

Guys...... they look like cigars...... on fire...... and then ash................ just read the guy's review as if you're actually interested in this hobby and care what he has to say! If you're not interested..... or just want to see pictures of lit cigars...... plenty of those empty cigar reviews exist with loads of fantastic pictures and two lines about how it tasted - just keep these type of comments elsewhere.

I do care, btw... so thanks for all the reviews, Art... keep it up (pics, no pics, black and white pics, whatever...) Have fun smoking and I'll continue having fun reading your thoughts and tasting notes!
Hell, Art could put together his reviews with cut out letters from from a newspaper like a ransom note, and I'd still love them!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I will only be posting my pictures in B&W as I like B&W pictures and it differentiates my reviews from others.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No worries Jim. Thanks for the post. Happy to share and put them up for people to enjoy. At the end of the day, it's one person's thoughts. I think I have found my 'style' of reviewing now and won't be changing it. No worries.

Glad that you are enjoying the reviews. Hope to see you and the family soon.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Wow!

best fuggin writeup since memory can serve Bro!
with a crazy good sounding smoke to boot....

lemme know if you need a second non biased verifier to authenticate your findings lol !

btw, shoulda nubbed that bitch abit more.

love the b&w pics :applause:

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I loved the review and I respect your choice for the B&W photos...but I have to say that I agreed, I would have loved to see just one pic in color to see the color of the wrapper on such a rare cigar. I hope the other post-ers comments weren't taken the wrong way because I was thinking the same thing. Please don't take that the wrong way, sorry I just had to comment because everyone seemed to jump down his throat.

I hope everyone agrees that someone's choice of how they review a cigar is well respected. I truly appreciate a review short on words, short on pics, etc...the time to share the experience is a joy in itself, though I might not comment, I read every review. :smile: