What's new

2010 Porsche Cayman S

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Well...it's that time in this guys life- 42 years old, home, girl, career and now for some need-for-speed jones to be satisfied (again). Any of you fellas driven one of the above or have one? I test drove an '09 base model, which was nice, but not enough hp for me...I am most likely going to check a couple s's out next week. Not jumping into anything yet but I am diggin' this car. Wanted to read thoughts on it. Thanks.

p.s.- Black. Manual. Hell yes.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Buddy of mine had a turbo cayenne I got to drive. Different car I know but if I had an xtra 100k+ I would get one in a heartbeat Porsche makes a damn fine automobile!!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
While I'm in no position to buy such fine automobiles, I am fortunate to have a number of [much older] friends with speed machines.

My perspective basically boils down to what you want out of the car. Will it go on the track? Is performance the sole factor, or is luxury a key component? Do you like to tinker? Etc.

I've gotten to enjoy Subarus with "the works" (quite possibly the fastest car I was in), to a stock Maserati, turbo'd 911s, couple of different Lotus, and a GT40. All very exciting, but all quite different.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I say try out a Audi TTRS , Cayman S, brand new Boxter S (it will surprise you), and a new vette. If you want bigger, Audi S4, c63, or m3.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
^ Thanks for the replies...What I am looking for in the car is something that is fantastic on twisty roads, relatively economical, reliable, and mid-engine. It will not see the track more than once or twice a year and it will be a weekend, nice-day car for me.
Not looking for a luxury sports car but something that tucks in well and pulls out better. I am not going to tinker with it so I am looking for good, solid- yet not super-hp, performance out of the gate. I did some homework on comparable cars and so far this one comes out on top, though I am not writing the check yet.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
^ Thanks for the replies...What I am looking for in the car is something that is fantastic on twisty roads, relatively economical, reliable, and mid-engine. It will not see the track more than once or twice a year and it will be a weekend, nice-day car for me.
Not looking for a luxury sports car but something that tucks in well and pulls out better. I am not going to tinker with it so I am looking for good, solid- yet not super-hp, performance out of the gate. I did some homework on comparable cars and so far this one comes out on top, though I am not writing the check yet.
Based on that, and the very limited knowledge I have of the above cars, I think a Lotus would be a great acquisition. If you can find a gently used one, they seem to fall under the economical category.

But, if you like the Porsche... I don't think you can go wrong. All of the ones I've ridden in and driven were joyous. I'm sure there are a number of independent reviews available on the Cayman S too.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Based on that, and the very limited knowledge I have of the above cars, I think a Lotus would be a great acquisition. If you can find a gently used one, they seem to fall under the economical category.

But, if you like the Porsche... I don't think you can go wrong. All of the ones I've ridden in and driven were joyous. I'm sure there are a number of independent reviews available on the Cayman S too.
I agree here. Agree reading what you want a Cayman S, Boxter S, TTRS or used Lotus Exige S would be perfect for you. I know people that own or have owned all of these and I have driven most. It will come down to preference for you.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Look for a Turbo S.... :)

With your criteria, there are a lot of cars w/ >350hp for less money. Although if I had the cash to spend I'd be looking at BMW, Porsche and even MB. BMW and MB give you good value/power and the ability to seat more than two if you absolutely have to. :)

Nothing wrong w/ the Caymen, but even the S will be eaten up by many other lower priced cars out today. I know that may not matter, but just a thought.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Nissan GTR. It's a track beast and the aftermarket is awesome. Not mid engined, but it is so well balanced I don't think you'd care driving them side by side.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
You and I are in the same boat, just minus the mid-life crisis on my part lol. You absolutely want a Cayman S, not a base. I was pricing new and a fully-loaded S was just $30K less than a 2008 Gallardo, so I'm sitting on my cash for now and enjoying my Panigale R. A friend of mine spent $125K on a 4s for hitting twisties hard, and now he regrets not buying something more exotic (i.e. Italian).

The point in all this is that the Cayman S is your best bang for the buck given your criteria. Try and get a gently-used 2011 or 12 if you can - they are better cars and are barely more than a 2010.

edit: also stay away from any car with a CCB package. For twisties you don't need it and since you'll rack up the miles fast, CCB pads and rotors will end up costing you a pretty penny. I did 12k mi of twisties a year in my last car and it was $3K for brake pads+rotors ever12-16 months. :( Save that money for tires and gas and roadtrips!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a 2011 Audi S4 and absolutely love it! Next car will be a GTR probably as if you pick up one used they are an amazing deal for the performance

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jaguar-Cx75-photo-05.jpg

How about the new Jag C-X75 PHEV super car. Mid-Engine, top speed of 205 mph and its made by Ford so you should have no problem getting it serviced. And while the upfront cost is pretty high, think of all the money you'll save on gas since its ELECTRIC!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Well I had a scare a few weeks ago and the 'c' word got tossed around (not that 'c' word...the other 'c' word)...I had to quit cigars immediately (such a frigging bummer) and it motivated me to chase a dream or two...i sought out a cayman s and everything lined up perfectly from there on... I found the most gorgeous example owned by a terrific, honest, straightforward and anal- retentive guy and then I flew down to Florida ( from nj) and bought it. He and I spent the day together and went to porsche of Orlando and had them do a full-on inspection of the car and it came back with a perfect bill of health...hell the car had never, ever even been shifted over 5200 rpm (I made certain to change that quickly). After our final hours together at the dmv I had the keys and he had his check and I was on my way...long story long I drove it 1500 miles home and I had the time of my life. There was one part that first night when I was on my way to Brumos in Jacksonville where I took an inside lane and got the car to show me what it is capable of. The thing hunkered down and gripped the road like I've never felt in my life. I kid you not- it took my breath away...so here are a few pics of the car and of me. The one is of me in the car about to make the last part of the trip from my sisters house in Maryland to see my brother and father in nj ( boy were they surprised...) and by the way- I'm no rich guy- though there certainly is nothing wrong with that- I'm a pot washer at heart who kept moving up by trying to do the right thing. Thanks for reading and being along on the journey

Oh, and I got the clean bill of health today myself. It was just a scare, but I am still not smoking (until retirement...i'll just buy and age for now- I think, anyway, haha...)

Last edited:

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Makes me feel so good reading this story. Congratulations on the dream purchase! She is a beauty!

I hope that C word was just a scare and is not anything serious brother.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Awesome story, brother! I'm excited and happy for you.

And ditto to what ENV said. Wishing you the best.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Doug, that thing is just gorgeous! Well done, and well bought...Enjoy the counless miles that that machine has in store for you!