What's new

2011 Monsdale Custom Roll

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
2011 Monsdale Custom Roll

Enrique Mons is a prominent figure in the Cuban Tobacco world. *He is known for creating the 'Monsdale' which is a pig tailed, closed foot elongated lonsdale.

Recently, Mons retired as the manager of the LCDH in Club Habana however, his legacy continues as Jorge Lopez, who has been rolling with Mons for many years, *still roles Monsdales to Enrique's specifications.

The tobacco is still sourced by Mons and the blend is just fantastic.
The Monsdale is a 7 inch, 42 ring gauge cigar that is just mouthwatering to look at.

The wrapper is a nice light brown and is silky smooth to the touch. *No veins at all. *

The cigar itself is very packed. *No soft spots. *Construction of the triple cap pig tail is first rate.

A beautiful array of aromas emanate from the wrapper. *Rich chocolate, sugar cane and a slight barnyard aroma start to make me salivate.

The closed foot gives only a sneak peek that the foot is well packed. *The triple cap takes to my punch with ease. *

Forgot to give this a cold draw to check the pull. *Too excited to get this lit. *:)

Time to take this to the flame...

First Third
The Monsdale takes very easily to the flame. *Very deep, rich, robust earthy, leather and bitter coffee *notes come from the first initial puffs with a very slight sweetness at the back end. *There is no shyness in the flavours of this cigar. *It is 'in your face' fuerte.

The draw is perfect. *Tons of smoke come from both the foot and head of the cigar. *Soooo nice!!!

The ash is a 'Dirty' whitish grey. *Judging from the ash, this cigar is packed to the gills of pure cuban tobacco goodness.

Strength is full bodied at this point. *Starting things off with a bang and a full flex of power. *

Second Third
The initial booya strength has dissipated and now is at a medium tone. *Some floral notes have come in to join the earthy, leathery tones. *Bitter coffee has given way to cocoa. *Not much sweetness coming through at all as well.

The after finish is very full. *Roasted nuts, cedar, coffee with a hint of cream combined with earthiness and leather. *Very robust after finish that lingers for a long time. *

The flavours and after finish remind me of an old school Bolivar with a little La Gloria Cubana mixed in. *The boldness, robust earthy and leather notes combined with touches of floral notes throughout the second third bring me to this realization. *Very interesting profile.

Final Third
Complete 180 degree turn in the flavour profile. *The final third is composed of woodsy, creamy and caramel notes that just coat your palate with joy. *A nice honeyed sweetness claws its way to the top and dances with the woody notes. *What a change!!!!

The burn continues to be strong and the smoke is very generous, even as I get to the nub point.

Final Impressions
This is a wonderful cigar. *Full of complexity and nuance. *Had the pedigree to enjoy now and can age as well. *Will add this to the buy list when I am in Havana in November.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great review. I love the size of these stick. Maybe one day I can get into smoking some custom rolled Havanas.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Another nice review of a great cigar. I've smoked a couple of these. Personally, I preferred the Hamlet cervantes from Toronto LCDH in 2008, but the Monsdale is a damn good cigar- and of course fresher. I almost always like top notch custom rolls pretty fresh- 2 years or less.