What's new

2012 BOTL Blind reviews Cigar No.3 Updated!!

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
H. Upmann Magnum 46 USE MAR 2008

Reviewer No.1

This is a corona Gorda sized cigar wich is my favorite. Perfect RG and length. Nice looking med brown shade wrapper.

Enjoyed this cigar at my local lounge with my favorite drink Rum & Coke

This cigar cut nice and evenly with my Cuban Crafters cutter, lit it up nice and evenly and got a nice volume of thick smoke from it.

1/3rd: Right from the start a got a blast of earthy smoke. Then a few puff's later I got some good leathery flavors. Burn was nice and straight. Med to dark grey ash.

2/3rd: Getting a good mixture of earthy leathery smoke with some bitter sweet chocolate flavors on the finish. I'm really enjoying this cigar at the moment. Still burning great. I'm blowing clouds of thick heavy smoke, wich is alway a plus.

3/3rd: Getting all kinds of flavors mostly leather and earth with that semi sweet chocolate and now some spice is coming on. Especially towards the last inch and a half. Bruned this cigar down to about 1 inch and had to put it to rest.

Conclusion: An enjoyable smoke for me and would recomend if you enjoy this style of profile. I was a little worried as it had been sitting in my glove box for the last couple of weeks and I couldn't get to it. Due to a bad chest cold. Too bad some of the other reviewers didn't have the same experice.

Reviewer No.2

Cigar #3

Corona, No box press, colorado wrapper, good pre-lite draw.

Reviewed as it burns.

First Third: Dry woody smoke very short finish in the first inch. Not really warming up, very tannic. the ash is flakey not holding on, falling in my lap.

Second Third: Burn is good and ash holding on better. Flavors are still muddled and tannic, I'm guessing a very young cigar. If not a review cigar it would be out at this point. Switching from swet tea to a shot of Dip rum.

Final Third: not much else to say. I did not enjoy this cigar.

No guess but I do have some thoughts I'll share after the review is posted.

Reviewer No.3

Cigar had velvety wrapper, extremely nice to feel. Clipped easily and draw was wide open, effortless. Light was easy, noted a little ginger and grass but very light.

Smoking was nice, lots of smoke but seemed very light. Tastes of grass and slight floral.

I wasn't really grooving with this one, not that it was too light it was just too muted.

Will hazard a guess that it was a Qd'O Corona

Reviewer No.4

Blind Habanos Review No. 3
5 5/8 x 46 Corona Gorda

Pre-Light
Cigar has a light brown wrapper, very rough looking and uneven coloring. Very mottled looking cigar with very prominent veins, slightly spongy when squeezed. Foot was slam-packed with tobacco, producing a very tight pre-light draw tasting of sweet hay.

First Third
Uneven burn for the first 3/4 inch, with very light grey colored ash. Unusual for a CC, in my experience at least. Cigar started off with a simple, rich tobacco taste. Picking up on subtle flavors of herbal tea and hints of leather.

Second Third
Cigar holds a strong mild to an easy medium in body throughout, with very little changes in tastes since the beginning. The draw loosens a bit and burn line evens out. Some good flavors thus far, nothing that particularly sets it apart from others, or has "wowed" me yet.

Final Third
Overall, I would describe the flavors so far as very leathery, with big mineral flavors. Earthy, chalky, whatever you want to call it. VERY musty taste, and it honestly tastes a little fresh and green. Slight harshness to it. Cigar went out with 1.5" left, didn't feel the need to nub it.

Thoughts
Overall, not a bad CC, just not an outstanding one. Middle of the road in terms of flavor and complexity, at least to my newb palate. Flavors were there, but werent anything to write home about. My guess is a Punch Punch.

Reviewer No.5

Review #3
This cigar is easy to spot. You see before I agreed to another set of reviews with the group I had in mind a couple PCs to send in and both I was short by 2 cigars. So I substituted a slightly bigger marca and apologized ahead of time. This is a cigar I've come to love over the last 2 years. Currently I'm been enjoying one every few months or so from a cab dated USE Mar 08. This cigar measures 46x143 (CG) It is the H Upmann Mag 46.
What I love about these cigars. They never disappoint me! Always good construction, great flavor and always good looks! This cab has also been aging well over the last 2 years. While slightly ruff around the edges the last 2 years previous. Currently they are transitioning into more complex cigars but with still a decade or more of aging potential. Cuban tobacco twang right off the bat but with a slight spice(cinnamon) that builds into the 2nd 3rd but then dissipates from then onward. Only to be replaced with those core flavors of leather, wood and a cashew type nuttiness. The 3rd is presented with more sweetness and coffee once again building on the strength and boldness. I knew there were at least one or 2 newer habanos guys this time around and thought if they haven’t had this cigar they needed to try it. If you like the complexity of medium (full) of an aged premium NC (Padron) then this is a must for any current Habano smoker that still visits both sides of the spectrum. IMO this Upmann provides a little of everything a cigar smoker is looking for. Great construction, great flavors and strength (as it builds) and even a little of that Cuban profile mixed in right at the start.
I hope u guys enjoyed this cigar. It is one of my go to cigars and out of that cab I havn't had a bad one yet!

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Wow don't know what to say. I've had around 10 from this cab so far and not one has been "Unsmokable. Harsh, Green......" All I can say is I'm terribly sorry to you guys for having a bad experiance with this cigar. It wasn't meant to wow anyone but certainly not meant to turn any one off as well. This was from a cab as well none the less.... BTW Kirk the JUL SMG 08s were the Juan Lopez #1s I sent you for your enjoyment. The USE Mar 08 code is the correct code for this cab. Well its par for the course I guess as of late............. I smoked my review 46s several nights ago and thought it was very good. Can't win them all I guess.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
LOL...Way off again. WTH? As with the previous reviews, I stand by mine without regret. I just couldn't get with mine and was really surprised that it was a MAG46.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Box code and date have been corrected.

Thanks for the heads up Justin.

Rating - 98.6%
98   1   0
Looking at the cigar before smoking it, I was thinking Mag 46. Honestly was. But after smoking it, wasn't on my mind as being the right one. Hmm... :dunno: