What's new

2012 Cohiba Piramides Extra

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I've been waiting for this release to come out. I received one of these from the festival but didn't want to fire it up as I heard that the festival releases had medio tempo in them.

I wanted to see what the regular production Cohiba Piramides Extra was to give it a fair shake. The festival version still lies in the humidor.

The Cohiba Piramides Extra is a imposing cigar. It comes in at 54 ring gauge and 6.3 inches in length. This is now part of the Linea Classic line. It joins the Lanceros, Espledidos, Robusto, Panatelas, Exquisitos and Corona Especiales.

It also sports a new band, designed to deter counterfeiters from copying it. 3 holograms are on the band. One on the top, one on the bottom and the cohiba indian head also has a hologram. Should do well with the Bling Bling set. LOL

This is a well made cigar. No soft spots whatsoever. The triple cap is well constructed. The cigar just glows (or maybe that is me in anticipation of smoking this cigar :) )

The wrapper is a golden brown, almost a leathery sheen to it. Very smooth to the touch. No apparent veins Very nice!!!

The aroma of the wrapper is pure mocha and leather with a touch of honey.

The foot of the cigar is fully packed. This should be good.

Time to take out my Palio and see what this is all about....

The draw is a little firm. Might need to take more off the top but will see how it goes.

Grassiness, earth, cream and a touch of leather is revealed in the cold draw.

Time to take this to the flame....

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

First Third
I've been using a soft flame lately to fire up my cigars. I find I get a more even light vs. using my torch lighter. Slow is good I guess.

Initial puffs reveal black licorice, cream, cuban twang, grassy notes and a big shot of leather. Very nice flavours so far.

Draw is a little firm but doesn't stop me from getting some good pulls from the cigar. Nice smoke production so far. No need to cut any more off yet.

The ash is a 'Dirty' white. Nice and even. The burn is slow and razor sharp. This is gonna take awhile.

Strength is on the medium bodied side. Not as strong as other Cohibas that I have had. More subtle and refined vs. full on power.

The grassiness, cream and cuban twang really come out in the after finish. Not bad at all.

Second Third
Very earthy and grassy. The creaminess has dissapated a bit. The leather notes are popping out here and there.

Some chocolate notes are starting to come through. Nice way to compliment the earthy, grassy notes.

Strength has picked up like a tiger waiting in the bushes. A full medium bodied smoke right now.

Draw has loosened up a bit. I tend to give the cigar a squeeze when I draw from it. Seems to allow for more air flow.

The after finish is quite long. Chocolate, grassiness, earthy tones and a touch of cuban twang for good measure.

Final Third
The cream is back and grabs chocolate by the shoulder and says 'Let's take the lead. Grassy and earth notes take a seat back and somewhere find leather to join them.

Strength is consistently medium bodied right now.

There is a nice depth of flavours in the after finish that linger for a long time.

The cigar takes one final turn and profiles leather bitter chocolate at the end. The grassy and earthy notes accent it and the cream exits stage left.

The flavours have gotten bolder as we reach the end. Interesting that no cedar notes came out throughout the whole cigar. Interesting......

Final Impressions
This cigar had a number of twists and turns throughout the smoke. A little surprising for such a big smoke. Worth picking up a few to give it a try.

Nice complexity throughout the cigar. Glad to see that the strength increased over time.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
No negatives from the youth of the cigar? What month is your box from?

Argh, this is making it so difficult to leave mine untouched in the cooler!!!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
So Art, I love me some Cohiba, but do you think these cigars are worth the price tag over a full box of CoRo's or Sig VI's?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They taste very much like a Cohiba Siglo VI. I think they are worth having in the humidor, price notwithstanding.

If push came to shove, I would buy a box of Siglo VIs as I don't smoke a lot of figurados....

Hope this helps

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Thanks for the review. I love the Siglo VI. Can't wait to try these.
Some reviewers have said these are just like the Sig VI but cost much more... Of course it's worth a try, but I would keep expectations in check.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the review. I am thinking of not touching these for a while, but they are just so inviting...need....help....hands......off.....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great review... Its nice to hear these may actually approach being worth the price point. Out of curiosity does anyone know if the new band is coming to all Cohibas or is it just for the PE?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Great review! Looking at getting a box... But I'm pretty sure every time I went to smoke one I would have a problem actually lighting it lol

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great review! Unfortunately, a BIT out of my price range, haha.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Finally got around to burning one...

Short notes... the cigar had a couple flashes of brilliance, but generally speaking it wasn't quite up to expectations. A decent cigar. Not a huge fan of the vitola/size, but that aside, I'm left hoping that age helps bring out the bright spots more - I think that is possible. Given the price, these are a poke and hope for me. I'll keep the box buried in the bottom of the humi and try them every now and then. This box will probably last me for a while. I think it is very plausible that they become really good with age, but fresh they don't warrant the price tag.