• Rustication (completely rusticated)

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'm down for blast or partial blast. I know smooth can greatly add to cost plus I kind of like the blasted look. So blasted or semi-blasted is game here!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Cody, maybe you can share what we talked about with benefits to different finishes and also about how no two pipes will be exactly the same since each block of briar moves you in different directions to make the best possible pipe. Or, I could copy and paste if it's easier...
(forgot to do that when I created the poll)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
These are some snippets from my late night conversations w/ Cody that I really would have liked to have included at the time of posting the "FINISH" poll, but just didn't have the time to put it together.
I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew he is not up-charging for beautiful grain like you would normally see in an artisan pipe, and I'd hate to think anyone voted not for what they really wanted but with the intent to try and save a buck. I don't want to bias anyone's opinion, but a lot of times I see rusticated pipes as hiding flaws, either in materials or workmanship. For anyone that is curious, Cody addresses this in the comments below.

crperkins said:
Not every pipe will be a 100% copy of one another. Grain structure is different between blocks, some briar colors slightly different, if there is a blemish in the wood causing the pipe to be say 1/8 shorter then the one before it etc I will take those changes on a pipe to pipe basis. They will still all be made on the same platform and basis, they just run the risk of variance as to make the highest quality pipe I can. To me I see this as a positive as it negates getting a pipe with a pit in it if it was only made slightly to suite the block itself. This also ensures the guys will be getting a BOTL platform pipe but it will also be unique to them as no two pipes will be exactly identical.
Having said that any briar with large imperfections that will sacrifice quality or totally skew the pipes design will not be used.
The joy of handcrafted work in my eyes.
crperkins said:
I would think most would want smooth but who knows.
Only problem with smooth is if there is a small little pit they will have to live with it. Where as blast or rust would hide it, but at the same time blast or rust you might lose some beautiful grain. Tough call.
crperkins said:
Each briar block is going to be unique in its own right, regardless of grade you never know the final out come. Some pipes will come out with an amazing tight straight grain or a spectacular birds eye. Other times you will have a block that is better suited to a blast as the ring grain that lies within it will yield a very cool blast. However I can order and sort my briar to what I feel will cater to a sharper blast or overall better finish, you start to identify the characteristics with the more briar block you work with making your odds better out of the gates.
However briar always holds a large unkown, many times you will open up a small pit or small imperfection that can easily be removed if you are to only shape it slightly undersize, add a larger bowl bevel etc. These small changes can yield the difference between having a good pipe and having a great pipe, as in my eyes quality is in the smallest of details. You will see with many factory pipes where a run of pipes will be a carbon copy of the one before it, these pipes will very often have the pits and imperfections gouged out and filled with filler then stained and finished over top. I refuse to use filler and I will not leave an ugly imperfection in any one of my pipes if it is as simple as changing that pipes shank length, slight diameter..etc. I am to build the best pipe with what the wood will allow, this is why it is so important to start with the highest quality briar and what makes an artisan pipe unique in the craftsmanship that has been placed in ever pipe.

Will you be receiving a pipe built to the design and style of the chosen BOTL style and finish? Yes.
Will you be getting a carbon copy of the pipe before it or the pipe after it? Hell no...very similar but not identical.
Will you be receiving a pipe unique to you, finished to the highest quality possible from that individual block of briar? Hell ya!

*Having said that no blocks with any major flaws yielding a less then acceptable product will be sent out.
crperkins said:
In reality a smooth pipe or a nice blasted is the best bang for there buck as I won't be raising the price point. Also a rusticated won't make much of a price difference at all as the price is already at a fair price point in my opinion for a commissioned piece