What's new

22 years ago today

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
So I was going to post this in the mental health thread, but to me it didn't do it justice. Twenty two years ago today my mother lost a best friend, I lost a father, and the people of the small Barco NC area lost a friend to all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415242200.840274.jpg
Me mom and pops

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415242231.727494.jpg
Pops me and my brother

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415242258.702235.jpg
1992 after chemo and a terminal diagnosis.

In early 1992 my farther started to lose peripheral vision and fine motor skills. Being a honkey and hard worker he assumed it was fatigue. By mid '92 my mother (while studying to become an RN) began to take notice of the changes that were taking place and urged my dad to see a doctor. To not draw things out, he was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He was 37 years old when he lost his battle with cancer on November 5 1992. He left behind two boys(7 and 9) and a wife.

Honestly I needed to post this somewhere and Facebook and Instagram just didn't seem right. So I posted this here where my brothers could share this memory and serve as a reminder; go talk to your doctors about anything that's bothering you. From mental to physical to "just not feeling well." So many things can be treated with early detection.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415243351.141381.jpg
Love you and miss you dad.

William Thurlo Garrenton Jr
5-26-55 - 11-5-1992

Last edited:

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I'm glad you could find comfort Among us enough to share such a personal story. I'm sorry you had to lose your father at such a young age, remember him well and peace be with you Tag.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
You are a strong brother to share such a personal and unimaginable difficult part of your life. Thank you for sharing and prayers are being sent for you and your family. Rest in peace William

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
TA, I cannot imagine what it was like to experience that as a child. Losing a parent as an adult has been mind numbing at times. I will certainly keep your dad in my thoughts and prayers today, and smoke and cigar in his memory.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Tag, know that we will always be here for you. We maybe a bunch of Internet guys who love cigars but this site has become something special. We have all grown together and faces loss together. The pain you must have felt as a child and even growing up and the anniversaries are a pain that few of us know and those that do will feel your pain.

You speak so highly of your father, he must have been a great man. I want you to take just one thing and know and believe that he is up there watching over you. He's has never left your side and is more a part of you then you could ever believe. May God bless you and your family brother. Much love.
JM

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Tandy, you have my condolences I do not know what this is like yet but if I try to imagine it it is devastating already. If you need anything feel free to PM me.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Thanks for sharing man, I'm very sorry for the loss and empty feeling that you and your family have. It's great you are celebrating his life with people you know, always keep him in the forefront and stay positive, it's what he would want I'm sure. I'm right around that age and have 2 very young kids, I can't imagine leaving them without a father right now. Sorry again for your loss.