What's new

2Day's Special 2/4/09 ***Mexican Week - Cochinita Pibil***

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ok, here's a thought. The first week of the month will be dedicated to a specific country's cuisine (this is the Mexican week, thus). This will be decided from suggestions taken during the month before from all of ye. I had planned to put up a recipe for "meat and potatoe" blokes, but that one will come next Monday; So now we go from the Center of Mexico (Sopa Azteca), to the Southeast in the Yucatán region. Where me ma's dad comes from, as well as the habanero peppers.

INGREDIENTS

• 2 pounds pork butt roast with bone
  • 2 tablespoons achiote paste
  • 1/3 cup sour orange juice
  • 2/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 red onions, sliced into rings
DIRECTIONS

1. Poke holes all over the pork with a fork. Rub achiote paste all over the pork, and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the orange juice, lemon juice, and habanero peppers. Mix in the cumin, paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt and pepper. Place pork in the mixture, cover, and refrigerate overnight, turning two or three times.
  2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Wrap the pork and marinade in aluminum foil or banana leaves (the latter being ideal) that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes. Place into a casserole dish, and cover.
  3. Bake for about 4-5 hours, until the meat falls off the bone. The slower you cook it, the better it is.
  4. While the pork is cooking, make the sauce. Bring the red wine vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan. Add onions, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender. Pour sauce over pork, and serve with white rice and corn tortillas. Each person can make tacos or fajitas with the pork, the rice and the sauce.
It will look similar to this:

Here's a link to a xnipec salsa recipe. It only lacks to state that ye mince the peppers and dice everything as small as ye can. And i means "Dog's Nose" not "Breath" (Because ye get a nose all wet). Don't think this sauce is kind to the weak!
http://www.xnipec.com/Receipies/xnipec_salsa__dave_dewitt.htm

Last edited:

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Pork Fajitas!?! good damn!
Most Americans I've met have them that way. I meself go for tacos all the time. (Or panuchos, where ye soak each tortilla in hot oil without getting it crunchy (just wet and "puffed"), fill it inside with beans and top it with the cochinita)