What's new

2nds/Seconds/Overruns/Mistakes Guide

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Personally stopped smoking RP regularly a long time ago. Got sick of constantly changing blends while keeping the same brand mark.
Some overruns "may" be near identical to regular. But think about how many retailers always have them right beside regular production lines. Every factory can only produce so many cigars a year.
While this may not be the case with RP based on my personal experience many marked as seconds/overruns tend to be slightly tweaked or lower quality.
Typically using lower quality tobacco and rolled by lesser skilled workers. So the taste and construction vary. One tastes identical and the next one is muted to meh.
One draws fine and the next one tunnels or is tight.
At the end of the day all that matters is what you actually like.
Yes. Among those categories (seconds, overruns, and such), some sticks can possibly be sub-par for all the reasons you described. Isn't it a general understanding that these are 'premium' grade fallen into place of 'value' sticks at lower end market due to QC barrier? As a matter of fact it's an outstanding marketing strategy.

In one scenario when time permits you yourself alone with everything around you freeze for your "state of meditation" so to speak, you may celebrate it with premium stick such as Padron 1926 or your like. However in another scenario, when it's time to focus and zone into your demanding work, where you desire one occupied in your hand but may lack adequate attention to it, it'd makes better sense to let one of those value sticks entertain you organoleptically at the background of your primary focus. At such circumstance it is a little challenging to wrap one's head or senses around and fully appreciate the experience of premium stick. The difference in organoleptic quality is negligible. IMO.

In that regard, overruns/seconds haven't let me down so far. One important caveat though is to give it adequate aging time in your humidor for at least 3 weeks or more, in order to significantly enhance organoleptic quality. Generally speaking, I find better overall experience with one brand than the other. For instance, in my experience Oliva 90+ rated sun-grown overruns/seconds in value-pricing bundle come close or up to par with its regulars, Series V. (Yes! I have thoroughly enjoyed overruns and regulars back to back for weeks, and am not affiliated with Oliva)

Recently I started buying a wide variety of RP lines to support RP's involvement in war on cigars. Some lines are much more enjoyable than the other. So if I were to go down that path of seconds/overruns, then I'd like to invite the favorites to my humidor.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot to be said for the subjective nature. IMO price has much less to do with cigar enjoyment than the people & memories. Glad to hear seconds are twirling your rotor! I've smoke many seconds...

QC is another matter entirely. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

There is a lot of time and care that goes into growing, cultivating, harvesting, aging, blending and ultimately rolling cigars. Why? To ensure quality. But you need to separate the MARKETING from the PRODUCTION of cigars...

The sole purpose of marketing is to sell. How do you verify the claims made in a brochure/catalog/e-mail? The truth is you can't do much. Take any marketing claims with a grain of salt.

After fermentation (typically in big bales) the leaves are sorted by color, length, texture etc. This is done for the binder, filler and wrapper. When the allotments of tobacco are given to rollers during a shift is is inspected once again by the roller prior to use.

That is quite a process tobacco goes thru before it gets to the rolling stage!

Yes mistakes happen and remember tobacco leaves are cut to size. Left overs are often used for short filler lines.

Some is used to make caps. Some may also be used for small patches with vegetable glue.

As far as color? Well most every factory I have been to includes a dedicated team to sort cigars by color. When was the last time you bought a box of cigars that had wildly different wrapper colors?

:cigar:

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting an update to one of my favorite post by Ramza.
CI has the Ligero Lazed up again F H and Ms.
They also have the V VMaduro Master Saizon on the Oliva Seconds which is a bit pricy for seconds but they are really good. The new Ps might be Padillas? Not sure.

I have also been smoking Nic Overruns and Nic Factory Overruns from JR and Serious Cigars for a couple years now and I can safely say the Nic Overruns are all AJF sticks and Nic Fac Overruns are MF sticks.
Nic Overruns are crap shoots even by sizes but generally maduros are the potent ones which ages very well, habanos are med full best while fresh.
Nic Fac Overruns were Jaimes and some Pepin sticks in the first batch which were awesome. Now the second batch with broadleaf wrappers are Tat Resv Broadleafs which I do not recomend the toros and the torpedos. They are very bad sticks even after aging.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
So noob question are seconds really worth it
If you buy the right ones! I've had factory seconds that are FANTASTIC that I picked up on sale at 1$ a piece cause the caps sucked. But I've also had seconds and over runs that are un smokeable. Usually stock up on them and regular production yard gars (buy at 80%off when possible) before summer. Nice to have cheapies for gardening and yard work etc during the summer.

Stupid Tapatalk

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Hard to beat the cpage nicaraguan Overruns especially the maduros. They aren’t always available though, you have to keep watching for them.

Ezra Zion sells their seconds for $25 a fiver, definitely worth it.

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hard to beat the cpage nicaraguan Overruns especially the maduros. They aren’t always available though, you have to keep watching for them.

Ezra Zion sells their seconds for $25 a fiver, definitely worth it.

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy

Any idea what those cpage overruns are?

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... my fave "2nds" if you will are the EPC 2nd's & the Famous Nic 5000 *after 18 months rest they are are tittays!*
I still have the Cardinals with bands, Core line Natural and Maduro and Inch which ages very well. All from EPC 2nds... Crazy deals those were and I too went nuts after them.
Not sure if the Famous 000 series are seconds but I agree with the 5000. They are far better then the 3000 by Pepin.
Speaking of Famous, I read some where that Famous Maduritos are Placencia TKO seconds. Sizes and taste does match, and they do age very well for years. One of my favorites too.