What's new

3/5King's Blind Reviews

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
3/5 King’s Blind Review C
Size:
Lancero, 7.5 by 38ish

Construction/Appearance: Got a wrapper split, may get ugly. Feels a little squishy. Couple veins. Pig Tail Cap. Colorado wrapper. V cut, almost botched it.
Pre-Light/Cold Draw: Some resistance. Sweet tobacco flavor.

First Third: Pepper blast, with some sweet tobacco undertones on first blast. Burn is a little crooked. A very light creaminess on it all fades in and out quickly. Got a lot of pepper on the finish. Behind the pepper now is the sweet tobacco, and a sort of earthy, mineral taste mixed in. Retrohale is mostly very smooth, a slight sting to the nostrils. Draw is still good, burn is still a little wonky, but nothing crazy. Halfway through the first third, the pepper subsides a little bit, and I start to get sweetness coming back, somewhat similar to cookie dough. It lingers on the lips for a moment after the exhale. Ash held on for an inch or so, then landed on my sweater. Shit… As the first third wraps up, the sweetness is still a little fleeting, with the main flavors being tobacco, and a earthy/mineral taste. Pepper has definitely taken a step back; reminds me of something rolled at the MF factory…

Second Third: Into the second third, its very consistent. This sweetness is almost fun; it shows up and as soon as I try to find it again, it’s gone. Burn is starting to go crooked, but self correcting. Sweetness morphing from cookie dough to a milky chocolate. My lips aren’t as numb from the pepper anymore, and the “blast” seems to have subsided. Sweet milk chocolate bounces to sweet tobacco, back and forth. Halfway through the second third I’m getting some cedar on the front end of the draw, but it goes away as soon as I place it. Stick is at a solid medium strength and body. Transitioning to the final third, I get a dried fruit sweetness in the mix.
Final Third: POP. The wrapper cracks, as I predicted it would. Milk chocolate sweetness is morphing into a raisin type. Smoking real hard, and real hot, gotta be careful with this one. Dried fruit and milk chocolate, with a hint of bitterness (from the heat, I presume). Goes out one, two, than three times. Trying to be real ginger with this one. Getting a savory taste every so often; a roasted garlic maybe? It’s hard to place. Smoking like a chimney, draw is getting to be real open. Hard to keep it from getting too hot. With about an inch and a half left, getting bitter, and falling apart, I decide it’s time to call it quits.

Final Thoughts: This stick wasn’t badly constructed, by any means. A few relights were necessary; my wife came home and we were gabbing during the final third, which I think caused the stick going out. Had a split wrapper (I probably did this on accident cause I’m an oaf), but it didn’t complete explode at the beginning of the final third, which I was expecting. The burn got ugly at the end, probably because it starting to fall apart. It was a little loose throughout, but nothing crazy. For taste, it was fairly diverse. The core profile of mineral, to sweet tobacco, to chocolatey was nice. It had a lot of subtle nuances to it that crept in and crept out quickly; probably way more than I was able to catch. All in all, I’d say this is a cigar that a palate way more developed than mine can really appreciate.

Thanks for the great stick, Dave! A Tatuaje Havana Lancero, or My Father No. 4?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Nice review brother! Sorry about the split wrapper. This stick was a Paul Stulac White Blinding Light.
Nice! That was one heady stick man. I'm sure I split the wrapper just being a klutz, don't apologize! Thanks so much for the awesome stick! I will definitely pick another one of these up, I'm going to take another swing at this one.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
3/5 King’s Blind Review A
Size:
Lancero, 7.5 by 40ish
Construction/Appearance: Box-pressed, chocolatey wrapper with some water spots. Got some seams/veins. Not sure I've ever seen a box-pressed lancero before... The wrapper is really intriguing color wise. Mexican San Andres, maybe?
Pre-Light/Cold Draw: Very little resistance. Sweet tobacco on the front, a light fruit flavor on the finish.

First Third: First couple retrohales are very smooth. A nice, chocolate and vanilla taste, with a syrup on the finish. Sounds overly sweet, but it’s not, it’s very subtle, and stands on its own nice. Draw has more resistance than I first thought it would, which is nice. Not a lot of smoke production. Flavors shift from sweet to savory. I’m getting a bit of campfire now. Chocolate comes back, and the savory taste shifts to the back again (so it basically switched for a drag, then switched back). Almost kind of bouncing back and forth on it. Halfway into the first third, it opens up and starts pouring smoke. It’s smoking really well, with a lot of syrup sweetness. Holding the smoke in my mouth gives me a little bit of a peppery tingle on the tip of my tongue; feels medium-full strength. 2 inches in, sweet tobacco with that syrup on the finish. Retrohale has a little more pepper now. Theres some wood on the finish as well.

Second Third: As it transitions into the second third, milk chocolate and a sweet, woody flavor. Burn is a little bit wonky, but nothing really worrying. I feel like this is the first cigar since I quit smoking cigarettes that I can feel the strength of (my head is starting to swim a bit from the nicotine). A bit of dark cherry creeps into the finish. This cigar is starting to remind me of drinking a dark, sweet, Brazilian coffee; same sweet finish with a bit of tingle on the tongue. There’s that savory piece that is starting to come back again in the middle of the second third. This cigar is smoking perfectly construction wise. Burn has self corrected. It doesn’t smoke when not pulled, and it pours smoke when dragged. Good amount of tooth that wasn’t evident in the wrapper is seen in the ash. I’m very curious about the origin of this cigar; is this a Mexican wrapper? It’s so spotted.

Final Third: Shifting to the final third, sweetness is going to the back of the finish. I’m getting a lot of bitter coffee. Sweetness is shifting back in, then we’re back to that Brazilian coffee taste. Deep chocolate on the finish. A little bit of mint leaf coming in at the very end. This cigar is extremely heady, a true connoisseur’s cigar, I think. With a few inches left, it very suddenly goes out (weird). Relight has a little bit of bitterness, nothing crazy though. The cigar ends with a strong woody tobacco, with chocolate and a light floral on the finish. Also seems that the strength has evened out at medium-full.

Final Thoughts: I really enjoyed this cigar; the box press is something that I’m starting to come around to (see the quote in my signature). A great milky chocolate base, but it took turns, shifts, and brought in different flavors. This stick gave me that thing that Dave frequently mentions in his reviews; every time I thought it would do something worth noting, it would “make me a liar”. I liked it though; it kept me on my toes. This was real heady, and I feel like there was a lot to follow along with on this stick. I don’t really have a number scale, so… A-?

Thanks Dave! What is this thing, anyways?

Final Smoking Time: Around 85 minutes.

Last edited:

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Great job on the review Andrew.
Epicurean Carnavale

Wrapper: Jalapa Oscuro
Binder: Broadleaf/Honduras
Filler: 10% Brazil , the remainder is Placencia Estate tobacco normally reserved for their private blends.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I finally found the final one today. Remember this, @3/5King ?
3/5 King’s Blind Review B
Size:
Lancero, 7.5 by 38ish

Construction/Appearance: Light wrapper. Practically no oils. Straight cut, nailed it.
Pre-Light/Cold Draw: Some resistance. Cedar and hay off the foot. Sweet tobacco flavor on the cold draw.

First Third: Struck it up with a match. In the beginning is some blasts of pepper on the mouth and nose. Tastes sort of like a Dominican at first. That gives way to a vanilla bean, or a very light chocolate mousse type taste. As I work through the first third, I start getting a lot of creaminess, and an oily coating of the mouth. Turns to a light milk chocolate taste. Construction is impeccable. I get hints of roasted nuts here and there, and every once in a while, a graham cracker/marshmallow type sweetness; think sort of campfire mallows. That good good.

Second Third: Into the second third, this is a mouth feel of chocolate, through the nose is smooth and creamy. About halfway through the sweetness subsides to a cedar and tobacco taste. More pepper starts to come back. At the end of the retrohale there is a distinct twang; I'm thinking this is a Cuban, based one the way the wrapper looks (almost that matte finish that some Cubans get), and the very distinct twang. This thing is awesome though, I'm a huge fan. Construction is still amazing, top of the line.

Final Third: Into the final third, I have to pace myself on this; I don't want to smoke it hot. It goes out on me a few times, but never gets bitter on relights. It's more of the same tobacco and cedar, with the sweetness jumping in and out briefly. with about 3/4 inch left, I regretfully decide it's time to call it quits on this thing.

Final Thoughts: This thing was great. The flavors were wonderful, morphing and changing, but there was a lot of subtlety to it. It never got bitter, never burned hot, and besides a few relights, the construction was spot on. Burn was razor sharp throughout. A fantastic example of, what I think, is a Cuban cigar.

Great way to end these blind reviews. Dave? Trinidad Fundadores?

Last edited: