What's new

3 month old humi

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone my name is Stu from Johnstown, Pa. my question Is my humi Is on my dining room table already seasoned accrd. to direction when you buy them it is a bally 100 ct. the problem is it reads constant between 60rh and 80rh most of the time 68rh to 74rh as soon as I put stick in it shoots up to 80rh highest 83rh this is with analog hygrometer i just bought a digital hygrometer an help to keep this humi at 65rh and 75rh were its supposed to be p.s. on dining room table theres a window there and the humi has a glass top should i move it. Also i have the humidification device they give you with the humi should i ditch it and get something else thanks in advance.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Hello, Stu. First, you should go over to the introductions thread and say hello to everyone and read up on the forum.

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/forumdisplay.php/23-Introductions

Second, you have a number of problems. Searching the storage threads will do you a world of good.

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/forumdisplay.php/11-Storage

In short, take it away from the window, sunlight though a window, even when it's cold out, will dramatically change the temp, thus affecting RH. Get rid of the humidification device that came with the humi and get yourself some boveda 65 RH packs, this will take care of your problem quickly. Also, depending on the instructions that came with the humi, you may have over seasoned and need to leave it sitting open for a day or so. You can just throw the cigars in a baggie with the bovedas for the time being. You may not have over seasoned. Just get the bovedas and put it somewhere away from the widow where there's not much temp fluctuation and then see what happens. Later you can check into kitty litter or beads, you'll learn a lot about those in the storage section. Just get rid of the foam piece that came with your humidor. You also need to calibrate your digital hygrometer using the salt method, you may be surprised that the RH is not as high... or as low... as you think. You can find this in the storage section as well or just google it.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Few things, ditch that humidity device and get beads or kitty litter. They're the best thing you can do for easy humidity stabilization. Second, make sure that hygrometer is properly calibrated. Very important lol. And imo, I like to keep my sticks in a cool, somewhat dark place. For example, my wineador is in my closet, which is out of the way of direct sunlight. All my 2 cents. Other bros will help out more

EDIT: Didn't hit refresh before posting this so its exactly what ATL said. My bad haha.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Direct sunlight on a glass top is going to effect your temp.. which in turn is going to effect your RH... Id recommend moving the box somewhere else..

the digital hygro was a good move.. just make sure its calibrated so that you know youre getting an accurate reading.. analogs are notoriously inaccurate...

as far as the humidification device that came with your humi.. I am assuming its either a puck or a rectangle with florists foam inside? If so, I'd consider upgrading to something a little better.. foam is only going to release moisture, and it isnt going to do that at a constant.. youre going to have to keep adding distilled water to it, and at different levels depending on the time of the year, temperature, outside RH, etc.. lots of maintenance involved (although you can make it work if you have to)..

consider humidity beads, or going the litter route for the lowest (IMO) maintenance solution.. lots of other options out there as well ranging from boveda packs to gel jars, etc.. or any combination of all of the above... it really just depends on your needs, your budget, the size and value of your stash, etc..etc..

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Hello Stu and :welcome: from Chattanooga, Tn. We are glad to have you join us here. I am sure you will enjoy the website and knowledge many of our brothers have.