What's new

33 Year Old Port

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Port.jpg

Back in the early 90's I was really into wines. Some of my favorites where dessert wines like port, dessert sherries and others. I really loved the nutty, caramel, toffee flavors in Aussie Tawnies, and to me, they offered some of the best values on the market. When I saw a case of '81 Aussie Vintage going dirt cheap, I decided to take a chance. Opened my first bottle back in '94, and it was pure swill. Rough as can be, and tasted of grape cough syrup. I tried another bottle a year later, and still total crap. I must have opened two more, as when I was going through my basement yesterday, I found I had 8 bottles left. I figured what the heck, these are 33 years old, so why not take another chance?

Those extra 20 years have turned undrinkable swill into pure ambrosia! Deep, dark black cherries and currants. Smooth as a baby's butt. Wow! I'm sure glad I have 7 bottles left. I wonder what they will taste like after 40 or 50 years? That's if I can keep my hands off of them.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is great! It would be tough to keep them longer to try and make it to 40 or 50, but it make be worth it.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Yup, ports age great. Ideally one goes for a declared vintage. After that single quintas are your best bet for aging. Had these with my sister last time we got together

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wow, nice selection there, Fitze. I have a few '94 and '83 Portos that I haven't tried yet. Also some '87 & '88 Amarones. Big, bold fortified Italian wines, but no where near as sweet as Porto.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Port ROCKS! I've been on a Kopke white port lately but it's starting to get a little closer to winter so I need to grab a couple of bottles.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Wow, nice selection there, Fitze. I have a few '94 and '83 Portos that I haven't tried yet. Also some '87 & '88 Amarones. Big, bold fortified Italian wines, but no where near as sweet as Porto.
Actually not fortified. The grapes after harvest are dried to reduce water and intensify sugars. Its called appassimento. There is more to it but that's the simple version. Hands down my favorite type of wine, bought it while intoxicated once for my birthday on the USAF airbase in Turkey. Found the receipt the next day, surprised by the price, figured I might as well drink it instead if returning the bottle.