What's new

.38 Ammo Recommendations?

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What ammo do you guys recommend for use in a snub-nose .38 special aluminum alloy gun for self-defense? And how about for the same type of gun but steel construction? TIA.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Glaser Safety Slug. Can't go wrong with either of the three for this caliber (Super Auto, Standard or Plus P) all 80 grain. Although my preference would be the +P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glaser Safety Slug. Can't go wrong with either of the three for this caliber (Super Auto, Standard or Plus P) all 80 grain. Although my preference would be the +P.
I'm not sure how safe it would be to use a +P in the alloy one. Are Glasers legal in most states? I'm mostly concerned with DE, LA and PA.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Don't overlook the old FBI load...158 gr hollow point wadcutter. Not real sexy, but I'd have no problem betting my life on them. I believe this is what Massad Ayoob recommends for snubbies. I keep my SP101 (3 1/16") loaded with these.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't overlook the old FBI load...158 gr hollow point wadcutter. Not real sexy, but I'd have no problem betting my life on them. I believe this is what Massad Ayoob recommends for snubbies. I keep my SP101 (3 1/16") loaded with these.
Do you recommend any particular brand?

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Do you recommend any particular brand?
Mine are Remington, that I bought from Midway. +P lead hollow point, # R38S12.

The Ayoob recommendation is from his "Combat Handgunnery" book.
"Head and shoulders, the best .38 Special is the old FBI load, developed by Winchester in 1972. It is comprised of an all-lead semi-wadcutter bullet with a hollow point at +P velocity. The soft lead slug seems to open even when fired at lowered velocity from short barrels and even when fired through heavy clothing. The FBI load is a legendary man-stopper." He goes on to note that Winchester used the hardest lead and Remington the softest, with Federal in between.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speer Gold Dots are awesome rounds! They are what my Glock G22 likes to eat. The gunsmith at our local shop was at a demonstration put on by law enforcement and Speer Gold Dots penetrated curved windshield glass better than other rounds tested.
They came and did gelatin test at the city PD here and it out performed all other loads anybody else brought up there. But keep in mind I don't they where shooting any snub nose .38s. I carry nothing but Speer Gold Dots myself but don't own a .38.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Federal HST is my favorite defense round. Do a google search for the results, you wont be disappointed.

The 38sp ammo is called P38HST1. its a bit hard to find, but can be found for $25/50