What's new

.40 Recommendations?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
At that price range, Glock is the way to go. I prefer HK, but that's just me and my hands. What feels best to you is most important. I'll skip the 9 vs 40 vs 45 argument. It gets long and complicated. A very well respected instructor told me one time, the load is more important than the round.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't intend on hijacking this thread, so I apologize for doing so.

Many of my colleagues are opting for the compensated versions of their current pistols whether it is the .45 or .40. I don't think the flash from a ported firearm will cause much distortion to the shooter's night vision. When you weigh out the factors (stress, threat-movement, etc.) which affect re-acquiring your target either in low/no light or even full light scenarios the flash from the compensated models are pretty low. The benefits of having a compensated pistol will outweigh the flash.

Having said that, I have to stress the importance of practicing in a low/no light situation. Many here will agree with me when I say that eliminating your threat is the only goal and the shooter must know what and where that threat is. I agree that muzzle flash will affect the shooter's night vision, but compensated models are not the only firearms that produce this flash.

Again, I don't want to pull this thread off topic, but no/low light shooting is very dear to me because of an event that happened years ago. Neither I nor anyone near to me was directly involved, but it has left a lasting impression on me. An individual got a firearm for home protection. In the early morning hours they fired on a perceived intruder and ultimately killed their child. Not knowing the target by not seeing the target is bad, very bad. So, I agree with the advice here about night vision, but there are other factors such as flashlights that could be help.

I truly believe that a compensated pistol will benefit the shooter and the muzzle flash isn't that major of decision to make you decide not to get one. In fact, a compensated pistol fitted with a light would be my choice. I say my choice and it may not be the choice of everyone. I'm not trying to start a problem here. I just wanted to offer my opinion. OK, I'll go back and sit in the corner now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely go check out the Beretta PX4 Storm .40 and shoot it.

It has a low recoil and is extremely easy to maintain. Although it's the only handgun I own, I've shot many and always come back to this one being my favorite. I did tons of research on what my first pistol should be. This was the one.

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah, but I think H&K's are well over the $500 ceiling I'm looking at. :sadpace:
Go to a gun show. You'll be surprised what you can find in terms of deals. If you are willing to buy used you can get a USP in that price range. I paid $500 for mine and got a 10 rnd clip and 3-13 rnd leo clips with it along with the case and lock. It is in great condition and even has factory night sites on it.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
There's a 40 somewhere in that picture? :tonguerol:rolling:
Ya thats a pair of 40 double D's concealed under that shirt.:stretchgr

You have gotten some good advice. Go Glock or H&K.

I own them both and they are great pistols. But in the $400 to $500 range. I'd probably go Glock. There's alot of aftermarket accessories available for them. Plus you can purchase 2 Glock mags for the price of 1 HK mag.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"A very well respected instructor told me one time, the load is more important than the round."

That's what she said.

NOTE: I cut and pasted this from SergeantStogie's post. I don't know how to quote individual lines.

Last edited:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yeah, but I think H&K's are well over the $500 ceiling I'm looking at. :sadpace:
Oh! Sorry brother. Actually, depends on what's on sale. The local shop I go to had some of the newer model H&K's on sale a while back for some big sale they had going on and they were under $500. Was a sweet deal, I just didn't need another one. I would think you could buy used for $500 or under as well. Taking a brief look on the FS part of AR15.com, there is a used .40 UPSC in two-tone (same pistol I have) for sale for $550. Three pages in there is a full size (with nightsights and 4 mags!) for $525.

Just have to do some digging, they are out there.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... Taking a brief look on the FS part of AR15.com, there is a used .40 UPSC in two-tone (same pistol I have) for sale for $550. Three pages in there is a full size (with nightsights and 4 mags!) for $525.

Just have to do some digging, they are out there.
Excellent --- I'll check it out. Thanks! :applause:

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I like the S/W M&P's and the Springfield XD's personally.

I think I'll pass on .40 though, much prefer a .45 over it.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
x2 on the PX4 - I own one & love it. :thumbsup:
X3!!! They have rotating barrels (the full-size ones at least) and recoil is noticeably less than other guns. I've got the sub-compact in 9mm and it's by far my favorite handgun. My buddy has the full-size in .40 and you can't beat it. There are multiple models, too -- some have a safety, others just a decocker, and one of them has no safety at all, so there's an option for every type of shooter.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 9mm and a .40 for carry and home protection (and yes a .45 is a great caliber, but I find I have faster recovery and tighter double tap groupings with the .40). I've fired Glocks, and the springfield XD and the S&W M&P, and truthfully there is nothing wrong with any of those firearms. But I'm a big fan of the Sig Sauer P226 for a full sized frame, and the P229 (my current carry and home gun). I've a Sig P229 LE, and have had run a good amount of rounds through her... no jams, a solid balenced feel in your hands, excellent sights, faster sight picture/sight alignment and like I mentioned before, great control for faster and tighter double taps. I'd post a pic, but I haven't posted enough for the forums to allow it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a small, compact handgun, look at the XD .45C. When I bought this, I was split between the .40 and the .45 and choose the .45 because I shoot it better then the .40. I choose the Springfield over the Glock for the same reason. Go to a range and shoot many rental guns in different calibers to see which one you like best.

-Joe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm selling a Beretta PX4 Type F in 40S&W. It's my only .40cal. Mostly 9mm and .45acp in my collection so Out it goes. If you're interested PM me for Pics and details.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Its been mentioned on this thread, but I'll have to recommend the Springfield XD(m). Its a great polymer striker-fired pistol IMO. It should fit comfortable in your budget as well.

If you can find one on sale or used, or don't mind stretching your budget, the H&K P2000 fixes a lot of the ergonomics issues of the USPc. Plus, it doesn't use the proprietary rail size that the USPc does if you ever plan on mounting a light/laser.

Regards,
Randy