What's new

$480 more a year for my "Hobby"

Liteumup

CRA Member #202832
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I just completed my health benefits selection for next year. The difference between a tobacco "user" and non user is $40 a month. (a user is defined as having used a tobacco product anytime in the last year).

Keep in mind - this is the difference for a individual, not a family:cursing:

I enjoy 2-3 cigars a week so Im paying in essence $3 per cigar in "surcharges"

SO........:angerFU: Insurance Companies !

Thank you - I feel better now

Ducati

Monster.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't consider myself a tobacco user my any strecth of the defintion.

To each, his own.
Same. Ironically, I'm also diabetic with A1C values better than a healthy adult and the cholesterol levels of a newborn baby and neither have come up during insurance screenings. (Knock on wood.) For the piddly cigar or two I smoke a week... meh.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
That's horrible that they charge an extra $40 for tobacco users. My insurance doesn't do that, THANK GOD. That would def put a dent in the cigar budget.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Answered that I don't smoke, and didn't for a week leading up to the physical. According to them I'm not a tobacco user. :cbig::cbig::cbig:

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Same thing here, ours is $50 a month (based on my salary bracket). The good thing is the waiver only states that we have not smoked within 30 or 60 days of open enrollment.

Rauchermann

Smokin' in Iraq
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the same thing for life insurance - looked at buying a supplemental policy before deploying. Had a choice between remaining tobacco free or not taking the policy - and chose the cigars. :D