What's new

5 Year Old Opus DC

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I stopped into the office of a friend yesterday to discuss a case we are working on. He used to be a serious pipe smoker who also dabbled in cigars. In fact, although he quit altogether a couple of years ago, he still has two desktops and numerous dusty racks of pipes in his office.

To shorten this up, he opened one desktop and gave me an Opus DC he estimated was (at least) 5 years old. The cello was yellow. But when I tried to smoke it, it had "faded" - not unlike a great Bordeaux that is past its peak drinkable years. There was little or no taste - it was like smoking a very mild Dominican cigar.

I think the cigar must have been dried out and then stuck back in the humi which was not opened for a couple of years. Perhaps it was dried up and re-humidifed a couple of times. In any event, it was disappointing. :smt022

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I've had a 4 y/o Lancero with the same results. Nuthin to the flavor except boring smoke.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
The first question that comes to my mind is...if he has had these sitting in a desktop for a couple of years with no desire to smoke them, he was actually taking the intiative to check/maintain proper RH over the past 2 years??

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sorry to hear of your disapointment. The only Opus that I enjoy are the ones with at least 4-5 years age on them. The cigar tends to be milder but the flavors are much more refined. The harshness of a fresh Opus really ruins the flavor IMO. Sounds like the one you had wasn't stored properly.