What's new

6 Extreme Canned Beers You Should Know

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I would have to add 21st Amendment's Back in Black, and Caldera's IPA. The latter of which is the best camping beer on the planet.
-Dude
Canned beer and camping go together like hand n'glove!

I also enjoy the Calderas....but my most recent summer camping I took along some Anderson Valley Brewing Hop Ottin' 6'er (which they just started doing in cans not too long ago), and a few Fort George Vortex IPAs (was new to me, and also in canned format. This is a Hop Monster for sure...lots of bitter/citrus up front).

Now you've gone and made me miss the decent weather....not that I didn't already. :sadcry:

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
My opinion of Gubna is that Oskar Blues aimed to make a IPA that weighs in at 10%abv rather than make an IPA that tastes better that comes in lower. I get it though because in today's market high alcohol sells even if the beer tastes better at a lower alcohol. It's not bad but I'd rather buy something cheaper that is more agreeable to my drinking habits.

It seems the craft brew frenzy and cigars have parallels.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have tried none of these, usually sticking to bottles, will have to be on the look out for some. Thanks for the article.

Best regards, tony
There are some great craft beers that come in cans my friend, you need to try some of them!

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I never buy beers in cans anymore even my light beers I drink during school no matter how much more the bottles are. Some reason there is always a different metallic flavor that gets picked up in cans. I feel like there is no reason for them not to just put those beers in bottles, the cost difference is minimal.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I never buy beers in cans anymore even my light beers I drink during school no matter how much more the bottles are. Some reason there is always a different metallic flavor that gets picked up in cans. I feel like there is no reason for them not to just put those beers in bottles, the cost difference is minimal.
Cost is not the issue or the reason these folks are using cans. Has more to do with light exposure, and risk of oxidation. At least thats what i've heard. There's definitely a science to it, and goes deeper than just numbers. Heard this before with lots of imported beers, as their exposure to light/heat can alter the flavor..so the beer may never actually taste as it was intended to when packaged from the brewery. I'm just going from what I recall mind you...i'm sure there are plenty here who know much more than I.

And the metallic taste is a bit of an urban myth. May have been the case in the past, but most aluminum cans these days, have an inner coating, where the beer never comes in contact with the aluminum. Buy yourself a nice 6'er of some that have been mentioned Nick. You may just be surprised with what you find.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
The cans of today are lined with the same inert PET plastic that makes soda bottles and water bottles. The light exposure thing is a big reason. I don't know how canning decreases oxygen exposure more than a bottle unless the filling machines are more sophisticated than a bottle filler. Cans come with out the top on that you open. That needs to be crimped onto the can after it's filled. So I don't know how one is better than the other for oxygen exposure.