What's new

6 Months Ago.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I posted a thread asking about the state of home sales and if a few brothers in the "know" could give me some info on selling our house. Well after listening to sound advice I started with a low price and a "gold" agent thru Caldwell/Banker. I knew it would be a hard sale and we were going to take a hit. Well I couldn't even imagine just how ugly it was going to be. After several months of nothing and cont. to fight with my shitty neighbors, I kept lowering the price. Agent: Well Justin what were you thinking a starting price.
Me: Well I have a little over 300 into it after the basement, patio, etc etc.
Agent: Well I think 270 would be good. Me: Ok We'll start at 260 then.

So she listed it 6 months ago and as I said not much. Couple walk thrus nothing of any potential. As the last 6 months go by, 260,255,250,245,and so on. I last changed the price to 243500 about 2 months ago.

Well we get back from Mexico and get a call that a buyer has been wanting to see it for a week but my agent told them we would be back in several days. So the agent ended up showing it 2 days after our trip ended. We get a call the next day that they have a initial offer. Agent comes back over and shows us the paper work. "Remember me telling you it looks like your going to be able to get out of the house with out owing even more money?" "I sure hope so, cause the 80 grand now is about our limit!" "Well I got some more bad news." "We'll lets hear it" They want(new buyer) 5k in closing cost and after all fees and commisions(realtors) it looks like your going to be paying about 4 thousand at closing. Me: So after loosing 80 thousand in cash I put into my house in 4 years. This buyer wants me to pay closing cost, plus points plus a few odds and ends. Agent: We'll Justin its the only offer in 6 months. I guess it matters just how bad you guys want to move. They also want your new washer and dryer.
Well we sat about a half hour with the agent a few nights ago and finally my wife talked me into singing the papers. Somehow I was fine w loosing the money it was already gone. I'm 29 and I imagine 80 grand hurts me as much as a 20 year old or a 50 yr old, but having to bring more money at closing :argue:. God it hurts. Also we absolutely love our house. It is perfect in size, number of bathrooms bedrooms etc. But this god forsaken area!!!!!
So the last few days it has been ruff on me. I have a little remorse signing the papers but I know it was the right thing. Also to all you guys that sent the bomb of the century, it came 2 days after this mess and I can't even tell you guys how much it told me things will be ok! Needless to say I'm sitting at my bar I hand built sipping wiskey while I type this. I took me 2 months of everday hardwork, sweat, and tears to finish my mancave. I have loved my basement like many love there 1st born. The pride I have when people sit at my bar and ask; you built this?
Well that is the big news I had coming. We have a month give or take to get every thing out. Good news is they're putting alot down and their credit looks great so hopefully we shouldn't have any snags. I'll be moving in w the inlaws(who I absolutely love). I know I hear alot from guys at work about living w inlaws but the money I'm going to be able to save over the next 6+ months should be great for the new down payment. I know things will be ok. I just needed a ear or two to listen to all my thoughts. I knew you guys would be glad to listen as always.
Thanks for your time as always,
Justin

Last edited:

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
dont even worry about losing money on this house cause you will get a great deal on your replacement home

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I think Ron has the right idea. Money in a house doesn't really count until you sell to downsize or retire to an RV. bad market to sell in means you should get a good deal when you buy. Hope every thing works out well.

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Congrats on getting your house sold and out of the neighborhood...like has been said, you should be able to get your next house at a lower price as well, so it will all work out.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sorry to hear about all of this Justin. Moving in with the in-laws is a good idea especially since you get along with them. A buddy of mine did it for almost a year and came back very strong because of it. Glad the bomb brightened your day even a little after all your going through. Keep us posted.
Good luck and best wishes,
Rick

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the money you will be able to save over the coming months and the great deal you will get on your new house, You're Golden! Congrats!

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Congrats on the sale. I know guys that have lost six figures and didn't have the option of living rent/mtg free. They had to buy another house and basically make a house note on a house they didn't own plus the new house. I am not in real estate but IMHO the housing market will still be a buyers market in 6 to 12 months so like some of the other posters said you should be able to get more house for less money. It won't do much right now to ease the pain but when you start looking for a new house it will.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Life on Life terms is hard at times but stay focused my friend. Things always work out the way they are supposed to.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Congrats on getting out of that neighborhood Justin! As others have stated you've got probably a good 3-5yrs before home prices really start going up so just save your money bro! You'll be able to getting a good deal on a home for quite sometime.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I know this does not begin to compare but I just sold my motorcycle for more than 2k under payoff. Sad truth is it was worth more than the payoff. Remember this though, the buyer made out on a deal, but now it's your turn because you're the buyer. And, when your new house kicks up in value in a few years (assuming certain political figures don't turn us into a third-world country) you'll benefit in the long run. Hey, if worst comes to worst, you have plenty of good smokes and gourmet coffee! You'll have an oportunity to build a new mancave and this one will be better because you've learned from the last one!

Always remember, any day on this side of the grass is a good day!

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
Let me be the first to offer up storage of the cigars you will not be able to take to the in-laws! I have plenty of room for your vino-temps! I will also offer visitation at a very reasonable rate! We've talked about this in person, and you know you're doing the right thing. Smoke something GREAT this week, and remember that you have the rest of your life ahead to plan your next big move. :smokingco

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I appreciate you sharing this experience. I'm getting (mentally) prepared to go through the same thing in the Spring and its nice to know there's light at the end of the tunnel. Even though the light appears dim.

Its very neat of the folks here to help you through this time with the "bomb of the century" and good on twenty5 for getting it started.