What's new

72% RH and 75 degrees good?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I feel like most people will say that's a bit high in both respects. The old benchmark was 70/70, but a lot of people like a little lower humidity, 65% is popular as Boveda makes bags at that percentage. Lower humidity gives you a bit more of a cushion against mold forming and the slightly drier leaf burns more easily. It's also not so dry that you lose much (or any) flavor.

What's your humidification mechanism in the humidor?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Everything said above plus I think 72% and 75 degrees is just asking for mold problems. There really is no cushion with those numbers.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Welcome to BOTL! Most guys go a bit lower than that, I do something different entirely - I like 100/30. To achieve 100% humidity at 30 degrees, all I do is submerge my cigars in water and freeze them. I know it sounds unconventional, but consider that the remains of mammoths and cavemen that lived tens of thousands of years ago have been found perfectly preserved in ice. That's science, and it really is the best option imho.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Welcome to BOTL! Most guys go a bit lower than that, I do something different entirely - I like 100/30. To achieve 100% humidity at 30 degrees, all I do is submerge my cigars in water and freeze them. I know it sounds unconventional, but consider that the remains of mammoths and cavemen that lived tens of thousands of years ago have been found perfectly preserved in ice. That's science, and it really is the best option imho.
Pure genius! A recreation of the ice age. Are you concerned about climate change and all of the cow methane? Did dinosaurs fart?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
That's some solid advice there, Jamie. :LOL:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I say 65% at 70 degrees, and increase RH at lower temps, IE 70% at 60 degrees and below(as far as bovedas) For me, I switch bovedas during the winter to higher RH. Why? Easy: Cold air holds less moisture, so you need more agressive humidification. During the winter, my 65% RH bovedas only get my humi up to like 60-62% RH, while during the summer they keep it perfectly at like 64-65%.

TL;DR: Its situational.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say 65% at 70 degrees, and increase RH at lower temps, IE 70% at 60 degrees and below(as far as bovedas) For me, I switch bovedas during the winter to higher RH. Why? Easy: Cold air holds less moisture, so you need more agressive humidification. During the winter, my 65% RH bovedas only get my humi up to like 60-62% RH, while during the summer they keep it perfectly at like 64-65%.

TL;DR: Its situational.
How would you recommend lowering and also maintaining a temperature. I live in an apartment so I can’t put the humidor in the basement. My house is usually ranges from 72-78 degrees and it seems that the inside of the humidor takes the same temp as the house. What should I do?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you recommend lowering and also maintaining a temperature. I live in an apartment so I can’t put the humidor in the basement. My house is usually ranges from 72-78 degrees and it seems that the inside of the humidor takes the same temp as the house. What should I do?
Should I have bought an electric humidor?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Winter is coming so will the house be cooler? Only problem is that if you run the heater your indoor humidity will be pretty low and you will have a different problem. You can use a good, weather seal Tuperware to help with the humidity, only thing that will help the temp is some time of refrigeration or keep your house cooler. Lowering either of the numbers for the short term will put you in a safer zone. Most of us run around 65% 65 degrees. You can also just let your cigars rest for a week or two and them smoke them. Mold will not have a chance to become a problem if you keep the cigars cycled but if you want long term storage you'll have to be a bit more proactive. May want to check out some Boveda packs. They seem to be the go to choice for small humidors.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Should I have bought an electric humidor?
I think your OK. Just keep your RH monitored. 65% is ideal. Get a boveda hygrometer ccalibration kit(they are cheap) a decent hygrometer and some bovedas. I recommend 65% for summer and 69% for winter. But you can always just keep the 65s in and it won't hurt anything. Like, 58 to 69 rh is a totally acceptable range of variation.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
You shouldn’t have any issues with 75deg. Get it lower if you can, otherwise don’t worry about it. You need to drop that RH though. Shoot for 65%. I used Boveda 69 in my desktop and it holds 65-66%

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Lots oh good advice here. Just remember, to much humidity causes excess moisture in your cigars that will hurt the smoking enjoyment and cause potential mold issues in the long run.

65 to 69% humidity should be perfect imho. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought a brick of Boveda RH 72... found that it was much too high for my taste. Switched to Boveda RH 65 about a month ago and feel that the cigars are a bit better already. Hygrometer consistently reads 63% for my desktop... before it was 70.