What's new

720p? 1080i? 1080p?! AHHHH

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I used to think I understood displays, HDTVs, and all the new resolutions but apparently I don't. I need some help making sure I get the best setup with my current devices.

Devices:
47'' Vizio 1080p 120hz TruLED (M470VT)
Input: Multiple HDMI, 1 Component Input, 1 red/white audio thing, one VGA
Output: 3.5mm Headphone jack, Optical

Vizio Soundbar
Input: 2 red/white connections, 1 optical

Time Warner Cable DVR
Output: HDMI

Xbox 360 First Generation
Output: Component and red/white audio

Questions:
  • Is my Xbox getting the best quality it can get with Component? Is there a way to get the first gen versions to HDMI? What about the audio quality?
  • What's the best quality Netflix I can get out of xbox? The streaming doesn't seem like it's ultra high def to me.
  • If Netflix via Xbox is poor, should I get a bluray player w/ apps?
  • My DVR only has settings for 420i, 420p, 720p, 1080i, and auto; but when on "auto" it always adjusts the picture to 720p. Is this better? Should I manually set it to 1080i? If I get a different box from TWC, will I get 1080p?
Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I should also point out that I turned off that Smooth Motion stuff on the TV because I can't stand that "Soap Opera" effect. Is that just for sports or something? There's no way people can actually like that setting...

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I dunno about the Xbox stuff, but I doubt you are getting top quality through component.

If you decide you need another device, we just got a Roku box and love it. It's one of the few devices that does Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon, which is why we got it. It does HDMI out (cable not included, though) and works pretty well for us. Netflix streaming looks good.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Component will keep you 420p i believe

Netflix's content library is encoded into three bandwidth tiers, Of these, the lowest tier requires a continuous downstream bandwidth (to the client) of 1.5 Mbit/s, and offers stereo audio and video quality comparable to DVD. The middle tier requires 3 Mbit/s, and offers "better than DVD quality". The highest tier requires 5 Mbit/s, and offers 720p HD with surround sound audio.
As of October 2011[update], several devices also have the ability to stream Netflix content at 1080p resolution, including the PS3 console and Roku2 series set-top boxes which require 8 Mbit/s.

Oppo BR players are tops in the business for what you are describing.

Keep it at auto ...720p on a 47" is perfect, 1080p starts to shine at 60" ...

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I used to think I understood displays, HDTVs, and all the new resolutions but apparently I don't. I need some help making sure I get the best setup with my current devices.

Devices:
47'' Vizio 1080p 120hz TruLED (M470VT)
Input: Multiple HDMI, 1 Component Input, 1 red/white audio thing, one VGA
Output: 3.5mm Headphone jack, Optical

Vizio Soundbar
Input: 2 red/white connections, 1 optical

Time Warner Cable DVR
Output: HDMI

Xbox 360 First Generation
Output: Component and red/white audio

Questions:
  • Is my Xbox getting the best quality it can get with Component? Is there a way to get the first gen versions to HDMI? What about the audio quality?
  • What's the best quality Netflix I can get out of xbox? The streaming doesn't seem like it's ultra high def to me.
  • If Netflix via Xbox is poor, should I get a bluray player w/ apps?
  • My DVR only has settings for 420i, 420p, 720p, 1080i, and auto; but when on "auto" it always adjusts the picture to 720p. Is this better? Should I manually set it to 1080i? If I get a different box from TWC, will I get 1080p?
Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I should also point out that I turned off that Smooth Motion stuff on the TV because I can't stand that "Soap Opera" effect. Is that just for sports or something? There's no way people can actually like that setting...
this article may help

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/122868.html

most cable companies don't broadcast at more than 720p which is essentially 1080i. 1080p is still only available via blu ray essentially. I'm told the directv and dish broadcast at 1080p, but I'd rather get a signal when it threatens rain.

http://www.geek.com/hdtv-buyers-guide/resolution/

just like cigars, taste is subjective. Find the look YOU like best and stick with it.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thanks for the tips, guys. I will look into some Roku boxes. Although, I need a Blu-ray player eventually anyway and it's probably best to get one w/ internet apps included so I have one less box.

My internet speed is 20Mps so I'm not sure why the Xbox Netflix stream doesn't look super high-end. Maybe I'm only paying for the low end? I'll pull up my account and actually take a look at what I'm paying for.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If you get yourself an hdmi cable for the xbox you will notice the difference. The netflix streaming will change based on your connection quality from standard to hi def. It got to a point I coouldnt watch it via wireless it would literally change back and forth during a movie, I had to plug it in via ethernet cable. So you might have it deliveded from twc but your router might not put the speed out.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
HDMI is digital and the others are analog. If you want that 1080p bluray or other source to be at its best, then a short hdmi is the way to go. The next step down is component then s-video and composite.

We have a sony bluray that has a lan cable or wireless capabilities and netflix apps etc loaded in already. We don't use it for that, but it's there if I want to signup.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitally get yourself an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360; you will notice a big difference! At only 120hz refresh rate you might be thrown off while gaming as the 360 plays much better at 240hz IMO.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Component video (separate RGB) is capable of 1080i and visually is as good as HDMI (though no audio). Not to be confused with composite video (usually a yellow jack) which is strictly standard def.

Netflix does not yet stream beyond 720p regardless of device: PC, XBox. Roku. You may get a better picture via the Netflix app in a Blu-ray player due to upscaling, but the native resolution will be unaffected.

I'll bet your DVR does not always switch to 720p. It may be dependent upon the channel you're watching. For example, Fox and some others broadcasts at 720p. Others are 1080i. (There are no 1080p TV broadcasts.) Your DVR is just going to report the signal fed to it.

Blu-ray is currently the only source for 1080p and thus the highest picture quality. Whether that's discernible over 1080i to the human eye is up for debate.

Blu-ray over HDMI is also the only source for high resolution lossless audio, such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD, if that matters to you.

Yes, Smooth Motion (other MFRs have their own names for the same thing) is meant to minimize the jerkiness that some people claim to see in fast moving pictures such as sports. And, yes, many people dislike it as well. That's why there's always an option to disable it.

(Also, SD is 480 pixels not 420.)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you watch a lot of streaming Netflix, I'd suggest you take a close look at the interface of any device you're considering. In our household there are 3 BD players, 4 iPhones/iPods, a 1st gen Roku, a Tivo, a Kindle Fire, and a bunch of PCs that can all play NF. Anything that does NOT have it's own dedicated keyboard is a PITA if you want to search for a title. And there does not seem to be a standardized NF UI. They're all somewhat different. Short of a PC, the Roku is the best.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
All set up and looks great. I picked up an optical cable on the way home from work and hooked up the soundbar. It's all as good as it will get until I get a bluray player or roku box. For now the soundbar is just sitting in front of the TV because I'm moving in a month and don't want to add unnecessary holes in the wall.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
....and in my opinion when you can go with 240hz compared to 120hz.

I too went with an optical cable when I hooked up my sound bar! :thumbsup:

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
another option you have with the xbox is to make it a media center...thus negating the need for a roku...hook it up to a 1tb external drive, make divx copies of your movies...and all your music.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Switch to HDMI for your Xbox. Keep all your HDMI cable lengths to 6' or shorter if possible. A $60 heavily shielded HDMI cable isn't necessary like it was with an analog signal.

1. Are you using the TV speakers or an AV receiver (with HDMI in/out)?

2. if you are serious about streaming content and/or Blu-Ray disc ... GET AN OPPO! The BDp-93 is expensive ($500), but well worth it IMHO.

3. If sound and video quality is important to you consider using Vudu. It is what Netflix wishes it was. Depending on quality of the stream it can be expensive though.

4. If you have your own media, who doesn't have .mp3, etc, then look into streaming locally with DLNA. Wired is 100000 times better than WiFi.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
You will want to switch to HDMI.

1080p is the best, but most content isn't 1080p. Blu-ray from a good player (PS3, etc) is 1080p, there are a couple of source boxes that do 1080p, but if the content on the box isn't 1080p (which it usually isn't), then it doesn't matter.

That said, NOT ALL 720p/1080i CONTENT IS CREATED EQUAL!! If you have HDNET and channels like that, check out some of their exclusive content. The quality of that stuff is usually WAY better than movies on the same channel, or other channels. There are a number of factors there, such as how the content was shot originally, and the bandwidth of the channel your watching.

In some areas OTA (i.e. antenna for live local tv) is awesome quality, in other areas the same content will suck on OTA because they throttle the bandwidth. When I was in Dayton, OH I had a cheap $25 antenna and got better video quality via OTA than the same "local channels" package via DISH. When weather was bad it would go out, though, and then I'd have to switch to the DISH channels.