What's new

775% increase in tax on pipe tobacco proposed

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 was introduced on January 13, 2010 and would raise the tax on pipe tobacco 775% from $2.8311 to $24.78 per pound .

As a service to the pipe smoking community and the industry of pipe makers and pipe tobacco producers, Pipes Magazine has set up a free service that will automatically send emails to your Senators and Congressmen.

In 15 seconds - Email Your Senators and Congressmen for FREE
Stop a 775% Tax Increase on Pipe Tobacco!

A tax increase of 775% on anything is ludicrous. This will kill many small businesses and an historical tradition.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
This is evidence of the political clout of "Big Tobacco." Phillip Morris is behind this, trying to insure that every other tobacco product ends up being charged the same tax as cigarettes (therefore making cigarettes look cheap still compared to pipes and small cigars).

Make no mistake, folks--if the current Congress has their way, cigars will be taxed at this rate soon as well. It's just a matter of time the way things are going right now. I'm not trying to make a political statement here or start a "discussion board" thing, just a sad fact.

Rating - 100%
596   0   0
i got a couple of email letters back. both say the same thing...nothing!

Dear Mr. Stacy,

Thank you for contacting my office about opposing H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010. Your input is important to me and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

I understand your concern that such a proposal would result in a dramatic cost increase for products that many Americans enjoy every day and could potentially negatively affect small businesses who sell tobacco products. The Tobacco Tax Parity Act is currently in the House Committee on Ways and Means. Should the bill be introduced into the Senate, the insights you have provided will certainly help my staff and me as we look into the issue.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

Dear Ronald,

Thank you for sharing your opposition to H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act. Hearing from you helps me better represent Middle Tennessee.

H.R. 4439 would impose the same tax rate on pipe tobacco as is imposed on roll-your-own tobacco. The bill was introduced in January and has been referred to the House Ways and Means Committee, of which I am not a member. I will keep your concerns in mind should this bill come to the full House for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to call on me in the future if I may be of assistance to you or your family.

Stay in touch,
BART GORDON
Member of Congress

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Their thought process is "the tax on pipe tobacco should be the same as it is on RYO tobacco..." when they don't seem to see that they shouldn't be trying to legislate our decisions by unequally taxing certain products anyways. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
That is just ridiculous! Sent and shared with many friends.

"You are the 292nd person from Georgia to sign this petition!"

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just got a reply....

Dear Mr. Stewart:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me and share your views about the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 (H.R. 4439). I appreciate knowing your concerns.

As you mentioned, this bill was introduced on January 13, 2010, and was referred to the Committee on Ways and Means for further review. To date, no further action has taken place regarding this bill. If this bill moves forward in the legislative process, I will keep your comments in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. With best wishes, I am

Sincerely,
Vernon J. Ehlers
Member of Congress

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is a response I got from Senator Debbie Stabenow...
Thank you . . .

. . . for contacting me about tobacco regulation. I understand your concerns.

In June, Congress passed, and the President signed, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (P.L. 111-31) with broad bipartisan support. I supported this important measure because tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of disease and premature death in the United States, resulting in 400,000 deaths each year including one-third of all cancer deaths, nearly four out of five lung cancer deaths, and one in five deaths from cardiovascular disease.

The new law authorizes the FDA to regulate tobacco products explicitly and restrict tobacco advertising, prevents the sale of tobacco to children, requires stronger warning labels, and ensures that tobacco companies bear the cost for regulation. Additionally, the FDA will have the authority to review companies' claims about the health effects of new types of tobacco products. This law will make a significant dent in one of our nation's greatest public-health challenges, protecting our children from becoming addicted to smoking.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

And my response...!

Senator,
Thank you for you reply. I understand the risks of using tobacco and it must be understood that all people who choose to use tobacco products knowingly assume the risk. That being said, I also must note that I dont smoke cigarettes. I believe that a distinction needs to be made between cigarette tobacco and pipe/cigar tobacco. The two are vastly different in their production and processing which results in two vastly different products. It has also been apparent to me that no study on the health affects of tobacco has made this distinction which may show major differences in how the use of both products affects the human body.

Aside from the physical and chemical differences between cigarette tobacco and pipe/cigar tobacco there are many differences in their use that are completely ignored in all health related tobacco research. For one, cigarettes are habitually used by addicted users who may smoke 10 to 20 cigarettes a day where as pipe and cigar smokers smoke purely for the pleasure of the flavor of the tobacco and characteristically smoke only once a day or maybe only a few times a week. Personally, I usually only enjoy one cigar a week. Secondly, the difference between each product and how it is consumed by the user is vastly different which I would also expect to change the outcome of medical research considerably. Unfortunately for responsible, educated tobacco users like myself, these differences are never considered when it comes to anti-tobacco legislation and It is tax payers like myself that are punished.

If you and other leaders in our government are so concerned with the health of the general public then why don't you cite the leading cause of death in the United States; heart disease. Since one major contributor to heart disease in the United States is obesity, which is fueled by our country's love for fatty foods, would it be fair to say that fast food kills more people in the U.S. than tobacco, considering that the American Heart Association noted over 425 thousand heart attack deaths in 2006? As far as I'm concerned it is that kind of logic that groups us cigar/pipe tobacco users with the problems of cigarette tobacco users. If you wish to be a fair leader PLEASE research and consider the differences I have outlined above.

Lastly, I would just like to say that prohibition, which is essentially what leaders like you are promoting for tobacco, has historically failed to control the substance in question. And not only does it not work, its bad for a struggling economy like we have here in Michigan.

Thank you for reading,
-Steven Stewart