What's new

80's Update!! That's a Swatch on your wrist!?

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
So my oldest son (22) gets a package in the mail Saturday and openned it up last night in front of us bragging about his awsome watch he got at a good deal. I freeked out thinking he bought a Rolex on a college income! Well he pulls it from the packing and at first I thought it was a nice looking watch maybe a sport style timex. Then he told us what it was...A Swatch!
Holy cow, really, a Swatch? Now, I was a teen in the late 70's/80's and remember actually having a Swatch. LOL Oh man that was such the 80's trend. He told me that these are the new thing with all the kids and so it gave me a good chuckle.
Does anyone else have kids that's sporting some kind of 80's trend you thought would never make a come-back?
Check out the link below on the watches.
http://www.swatch.com/zz_en/home.html
All I know is if he comes home with a pair of parchute pants on...I'm gonna beat him down! HA!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Give it time parachute pants are coming. The current college students are adopting style from the 80s left and right. First was skinny jeans, then old too small tshirts, shaggy hair, bold bright colors, and now swatches.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess swatches ain´t too bad...
Rather that than parachute silk stuff and shoulder pads...
Or David Hasselhoff (shiver)

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
and the trend setters can leave the big hair at home too!!!

When I was in that game the big thing was to wear several on the same arm. It was kind of a sad, sad status symbol; 3 swatches was better than 1

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Gnarly!! I saved so much mowing money as a preteen in the 80's to get my one and only Swatch!! Then, you could buy different bands... different "guards" for the face of the watch, which was only a rubber band type thing that went over the face!! LOVED that watch... LOL I wish I still had it somewhere. A lot of my 80's stuff that I owned was tossed by my evil stepmother long ago... *sigh* Sucks. Would love to be able to show my son some of that stuff. And my old collection of glasses from McD's, Pizza Hut, etc... Had Smurfs, Muppets, Flintstones. LOL Sorry, I'm rambling... you could get me going forever about all the cool things from the 80's!

I will leave you with one thought... Disc cameras!

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Hahaha! I also had thoes bands that went over the face! Thats funny...But I also had my Harley Chain Belt...just incase you made fun of my watch! LOL

Last edited:

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I know swatch has kinda dissapeared from most people's minds but they are still one of the largest watch makers in the world and probably the largest swiss maker. They produce pretty good watches for the money and are one of the cheaper alternatives for mechanical watches as well.

Posted via Mobile Device

Musterion

Don't stare....
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should dig up my old "Members Only" jacket and see what that could be worth.
Wonder if the girls are going to start wearing leg warmers again?

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Swatches aren't that bad in comparison to other trends going on now. Hipsters are the worst of the worst in my opinion.

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Swatches, Neon Shades... I'm waiting for the slap-bracelets to come back and replace these bright rubber, "live strong" thing-a-ma-bobs.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Holy hell...I shit you not! Another box in the mail yesterday and this time he ordered a pair of "Ray-Ban's"...Like from the movie "Risky Buisness"!
WTF!!!
I knew I should have saved all my old shit...could make an ebay killing!
I think I still have my old Levi jacket hanging at my mom's house with some ACDC, VanHalen, Door's, and other pins on it. HA!

Last edited:

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Holy hell...I shit you not! Another box in the mail yesterday and this time he ordered a pair of "Ray-Ban's"...Like from the movie "Ricky Buisness"!
WTF!!!
I knew I should have saved all my old shit...could make an ebay killing!
I think I still have my old Levi jacket hanging at my mom's house with some ACDC, VanHalen, Door's, and other pins on it. HA!
Can you say Xmas present!