What's new

9/11 Never Forget - What will you smoke in Rememberance

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Today, as we all know is the 14 year anniversary of September 11, 2001. I know we have a what did you smoke today thread, but thought it would be interesting to see what you will light up in remembrance and share our stories.

I was a freshmen in high school going from gym class to career explorations when I heard someone say a plane hit the world trade center. I thought it was some sort of small private plane that had an accident. When I got to my class our teacher turned the TV on and we watched the news unfold and the second plane hit the tower. I just remember that hollow feeling and fear what was happening. Basically the rest of the day was watching the news at school, no one said much. The coming together of a nation over something so tragic was amazing to watch and hard to watch all at the same time. Never forget.

Tonight I will be smoking a Las Calaveras 2014. I know it is for the remembrance of those who passed on the year before but I still feel it is fitting to remember those we lost that day.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the eighth grade and had no idea what was really happening at the time. The school advised it was an act of terror and we watched the news the rest of the day. When I got home my mom updated me on what was going on and we worried about my uncle who worked in downtown nyc (he was fine). That was before instantaneous news and social media. I never knew what cnn really was before that day.

Don't know if I'll smoke anything, but hopefully I'll get that chance and we'll all make it through the day safely.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I fired up a Bull City Cigar Company "Ecuador Habano Torpedo" at 8:45am. I didn't take pictures and really didn't even think about it. This is always a rough day for me. Thinking of the thousands that lost their lives in the attack and the thousands of soldiers that lost their lives afterwards is always hard.

I was twenty years old when it happened. I remember walking into work and seeing it going down on the TVs all around me. I was in shock to say the least. All I could do was call relatives to see if they were okay and if they were going to be heading home. Even though it happened hundreds of miles away I was still scared for everyone I love. It really rocked me and honestly I was in a fog all day. Now that I'm older it strikes me differently. There isn't as much anger as deep sympathy for the families and a profound sorrow over the loss of so many lives.

Shrody234

Jimmy
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was in college in Poughkeepsie, NY (1.5 hrs north of NYC). One of my fraternity brothers was watching the ordeal on TV. His father worked in one of the towers. After the first tower was hit he was relieved because his father worked in the other tower which had not been hit, yet. Then that tower got hit and things started to change for him. Cell phone communication was impossible at that time so he had no way of making contact with anyone. His panic stared to set in and shortly after the first tower fell. Things got worse, but as far as he knew, it was the other tower that fell, not the one his father worked in. Then as we all know the second tower fell. His life was unfolding in front of him as he could only expect the worst. Thankfully, his father was on a floor below where the plane hit and was able to make it out unharmed. All was ok for him.

For my wife (who I did not know at the time) things were not as lucky. Her life long next door neighbor, "Uncle Danny," was home in Staten Island on his day off. Danny worked Rescue 2, FDNY. Those who work Rescue in the FD are the elite and provide services that the normal FD units may not be able to. Danny's specialty was close-quarter rescue, typically for people trapped in small spaces. From the stories I hear he was an exceptional Fire Fighter and extremely dedicated. His dedication is what obligated him to leave home on 9/11, never to return home. He made his way into Manhattan, surely helping and saving many lives, but after the towers fell all contact was lost. After a few days of not hearing from him everyone pretty much knew what happened. His wife was in denial as she held out hope that for some reason he would come home, but he never did. Months went bye and eventually part of Danny was found among the wreckage. His name was Daniel Libretti, one of the many who selflessly gave himself to help others that day. Never forget 9/11, ALL who were affected that day and still are.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was in college in Poughkeepsie, NY (1.5 hrs north of NYC). One of my fraternity brothers was watching the ordeal on TV. His father worked in one of the towers. After the first tower was hit he was relieved because his father worked in the other tower which had not been hit, yet. Then that tower got hit and things started to change for him. Cell phone communication was impossible at that time so he had no way of making contact with anyone. His panic stared to set in and shortly after the first tower fell. Things got worse, but as far as he knew, it was the other tower that fell, not the one his father worked in. Then as we all know the second tower fell. His life was unfolding in front of him as he could only expect the worst. Thankfully, his father was on a floor below where the plane hit and was able to make it out unharmed. All was ok for him.

For my wife (who I did not know at the time) things were not as lucky. Her life long next door neighbor, "Uncle Danny," was home in Staten Island on his day off. Danny worked Rescue 2, FDNY. Those who work Rescue in the FD are the elite and provide services that the normal FD units may not be able to. Danny's specialty was close-quarter rescue, typically for people trapped in small spaces. From the stories I hear he was an exceptional Fire Fighter and extremely dedicated. His dedication is what obligated him to leave home on 9/11, never to return home. He made his way into Manhattan, surely helping and saving many lives, but after the towers fell all contact was lost. After a few days of not hearing from him everyone pretty much knew what happened. His wife was in denial as she held out hope that for some reason he would come home, but he never did. Months went bye and eventually part of Danny was found among the wreckage. His name was Daniel Libretti, one of the many who selflessly gave himself to help others that day. Never forget 9/11, ALL who were affected that day and still are.
This brought me to tears. Surely he will be remembered as well as all those who selflessly ran towards the chaos while everyone else ran away. True heroes.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im a Paramedic. That day I was home asleep after working afternoons at my job working Security/ Fire/ and EMS at the GM Proving Grounds. We were all Firefighter/ EMT's there. My wife woke me up in time to see the second plane hit. As the towers fell I just had a hollow feeling because I knew.
Tonight I will smoke a Liga 9 in rememberance of the forgotten ones. The 6 private EMS personnell who were lost. They are not included in the 343 lost of the FDNY, they're rarely mentioned when the rescuers are spoken of. Usually it is just FDNY, NYPD, and PAPD.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

Reminiscing with the Las Calaveras 2015. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who did the same....

I was only 15 at the time, in biology class in high school. We went on lockdown as someone said we were under attack.

Later in the day, in history class. I really saw what happened. My teacher sobbing, trying to hold it together as we all watched the events that unfolded earlier in the day. I went home to watch TV some more...all I remember was the anger I had and all the crying....asking my parents why did this happen!? Who does this!? To this day, I still have that anger and hurt. The skyline is never the same. I still can't come to the fact this happened.

Since joining my local FD at 18, I now met and became great friends with many fellow brothers (and sisters) from all branches- NYPD, FDNY, PAPD. Some will tell stories, some don't say much at all if they responded that day.

I could write all of you a novel with the bond of friendships I have with many who lived to tell their stories and some who are currently battling cancers and illness from being there trying to find friends, family, anyone....

At the time I was living 4 houses away from the funeral home, walking down the block to a sea of blue covering the roadway, their respected apparatus front and center with an arched flag across the roadway. Those men were the father and son FDNY Firefighters Joseph Angelini Sr of Rescue 1 and Joseph Angelini Jr of Ladder 4. They both resided in my town. I was unable to get inside and instead silently said a few prayers outside.

A very beautiful detail was finalized in our brand new firehouse which is being dedicated later today. A memorial was made and a piece of steel was placed at the base with the times everything unfolded. The memorial reaches pretty high and my picture was from the 2nd floor landing looking down, prior to the steel being placed. The picture I'm going to attach does no justice as to how simple yet powerful it truly is. It just leaves me speechless.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0

Sounds like a great man. I read a couple articles about him after reading your post as well. Here are the links for those interested

http://www.silive.com/september-11/index.ssf/2010/09/daniel_libretti_43_fdny_excell.html
http://bravestmemorial.net/html/members_individual/libretti_daniel/fflibretti_newsday_article.html

May he and the rest of his brothers and sisters who made the ultimate sacrifice that day Rest In Eternal Peace.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0

Reminiscing with the Las Calaveras 2015. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who did the same....

I was only 15 at the time, in biology class in high school. We went on lockdown as someone said we were under attack.

Later in the day, in history class. I really saw what happened. My teacher sobbing, trying to hold it together as we all watched the events that unfolded earlier in the day. I went home to watch TV some more...all I remember was the anger I had and all the crying....asking my parents why did this happen!? Who does this!? To this day, I still have that anger and hurt. The skyline is never the same. I still can't come to the fact this happened.

Since joining my local FD at 18, I now met and became great friends with many fellow brothers (and sisters) from all branches- NYPD, FDNY, PAPD. Some will tell stories, some don't say much at all if they responded that day.

I could write all of you a novel with the bond of friendships I have with many who lived to tell their stories and some who are currently battling cancers and illness from being there trying to find friends, family, anyone....

At the time I was living 4 houses away from the funeral home, walking down the block to a sea of blue covering the roadway, their respected apparatus front and center with an arched flag across the roadway. Those men were the father and son FDNY Firefighters Joseph Angelini Sr of Rescue 1 and Joseph Angelini Jr of Ladder 4. They both resided in my town. I was unable to get inside and instead silently said a few prayers outside.

A very beautiful detail was finalized in our brand new firehouse which is being dedicated later today. A memorial was made and a piece of steel was placed at the base with the times everything unfolded. The memorial reaches pretty high and my picture was from the 2nd floor landing looking down, prior to the steel being placed. The picture I'm going to attach does no justice as to how simple yet powerful it truly is. It just leaves me speechless.

That is a beautiful tribute. Thank you for your service sir. You bring up such a great point. It is so sad that we as a society have not done more for those first responders who step up as living heros and then suffered long term illness from their heroism

Today I smoked an LC15 in honor of all those who paid the ultimate price. For the families of those lost and for the men and women who paid for all those who continue to pay the price.

image.jpg

Shrody234

Jimmy
Rating - 100%
14   0   0