What's new

A Bad Cigar

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Good evening Brothers. I've had a chance to smoke 2 sticks this week so far and they were both very disappointing. I've only been smoking since February and I'm constantly trying new smokes, which leaves me open to toasting up some that I may not enjoy. Maybe I'm overreacting, but the anticipation and excitement I feel leading up to my burn time coupled with my limited opportunities to smoke can lead to quite a let down when I find a stick unsatisfying. I was just wondering how often some of you veterans run into a "bad cigar". How do you personally deal with this aspect of the hobby?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you are referring to disappointing flavors, that is just some trial and error to find out what you prefer. Maybe check out some of the reviews of a stick before buying to try and avoid some flavor profiles you know you won't like.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Gotcha. These were the particular two I was referring to:

Honestly, I found them both to be disappointing in several ways. The flavors and burn on both were bad to me, and the Inch had a tight draw. Both stored in my desktop humidor at 64%-66% humidity and 69°- 73° temp for almost a month.

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
This is a tough one. Cigars are a natural product, so there are a myriad of ways you could end up with a crappy stick. It could be over or under humidified, it could be poorly made, it could be in a sick period (cigars can go through additional fermentation after being rolled that leaves them "sick" for a little while), or it could just be made with poor quality tobacco in the first place.

For those of us more seasoned smokers, we have a number of ways we try to mitigate this:

1. Get your storage right. Make sure you have a suitable environment for your smokes that prevents them from being "shocked" by drastic rH and temp swings. Lots of threads here about starting tupperdores, coolidors, wineadors, or even how to just get a good traditional humidor (which, unless you're going high-end, should be your last resort). If you're already there...
2. Let 'em rest. Especially for those cigars coming from B&Ms with high rH, and mail order cigars, a little rest will often help ensure the smoke you choose will smoke well. Often online retailers and many B&Ms will keep with cigars at a >70% rH. I personally find nearly all cigars burn too hot and acrid and bitter at a high rH, and much prefer them lower. However, it takes time for a cigar to acclimate to a lower rH. There's debate about "sick" periods with cigars, but many guys here will tell you that a lot of cigars from online vendors do much better with a few months of rest at a proper rH. How long did those two cigars rest in your humi?
3. Give it a whiff. Check the cigar when you pick it up. If it has an ammonia smell to it, let it rest for a couple months and pick up something else.
4. The above things will help avoid many problems, but some cigars just suck. So read reviews before buying a stick. Ignore advertisements, look for reviews from well-respected reviewers. Pay less attention to the scores and more attention to the flavor and quality descriptions. Find a reviewer -or a BOTL here- that has a similar palate to yours and follow them.

Also... don't smoke 60rg cigars! I know that sounds snooty, but I've really only had one or two good 60rg cigars. Most just suck. IMHO :D

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Ninja touched up on a lot of things. I'll add that most Sosa are mediocre, in my noob opinion. Those inch are by EPC if I remember. If you disliked that one, don't give up in the brand cause they make some good stuff. Couple suggestions on things to try, that I personally tried when I first started, and showed me the good side to cigars for a good price
Arturo Fuente 858/chatue fuente
Cinco vegas A (dirt cheap)
Man o war(all good in some way, maybe get the 3 cigar sampler)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Also, check out the thread about everyone's go to cheaper brands. It is filled with a variety of cigars that are in the regular rotation of some of the guys here. Good way to try a lot of new, quality stuff for a good price.

Cardinal

Conscientious Objector
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One other thing, sometimes you just get a bum example out of a normally good cigar line. If you've got everything above lined up and the cigar still sucks, I say just chuck it and light up a new one. Life's too short to smoke a bad cigar, and since I usually only have time to smoke a couple per week I just won't sit through a bad one anymore. I have the same philosophy on wine.

As far as how often? I would say I average 2-3 cigars per week, and over the last year since squaring up my humidification and acclimation policies I've thrown away maybe 5-6 total without finishing them. Once I got my storage conditions right and quit trying to smoke cigars as soon as they came in, I had far fewer bad experiences than I did my first 6-8 months smoking.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I feel like I have my humidors fairly squared away. I would like a little less fluctuation, but I don't think I can get it much better. As a general rule, all my sticks get at least two weeks rest. I don't have the storage capacity to do much better than that.

And StogieNinja, no more 60+rg sticks. Got it. :)

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I feel like I have my humidors fairly squared away. I would like a little less fluctuation, but I don't think I can get it much better. As a general rule, all my sticks get at least two weeks rest. I don't have the storage capacity to do much better than that.

And StogieNinja, no more 60+rg sticks. Got it. :)
My advice is to upgrade to a 28qt cooler. They're like $26 on Amazon, cheaper than most cheapo chinese-made crappy humidors. That will help mitigate rapid temp swings, and give you some breathing room, allowing for longer rest. Two weeks really isn't enough for a cigar to acclimate properly, in my experience.

I was kinda kidding about the 60rg thing (smoke what you like, like what you smoke, who am I to judge) but I do find that most cigar makers have a hard time getting a good blend down in that large of a format. The DE FFP is an example of one that works... I can't honestly think of another that I really like off hand.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with Spanky on the Sosa. Though they can be pricey if not bought at auction, I've found them so, so at best. I also agree with Nija on the 60 ring sizes. I've only found a couple that where worth smoking again. This hobby is a learning experience. You're going to smoke some stuff you are not going to like. Through the years I've gone through dozens of cigars I just had to toss.

Make notes on the flavor profiles of the cigars you do enjoy. Look through reviews and try to find cigars with similar flavor profiles.

Here's some real serious advice. Your palate WILL change over the next year or so. If you find something right now that you really enjoy, do not overbuy. You may find out in a year or so that the cigars you love now, you will no longer wish to smoke. Folks gave me this same advice when I first started out, but I didn't listen. Stocked up on a bunch of favorites, only to send them to the troops a few years later.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I agree with Spanky on the Sosa. Though they can be pricey if not bought at auction, I've found them so, so at best. I also agree with Nija on the 60 ring sizes. I've only found a couple that where worth smoking again. This hobby is a learning experience. You're going to smoke some stuff you are not going to like. Through the years I've gone through dozens of cigars I just had to toss.

Make notes on the flavor profiles of the cigars you do enjoy. Look through reviews and try to find cigars with similar flavor profiles.

Here's some real serious advice. Your palate WILL change over the next year or so. If you find something right now that you really enjoy, do not overbuy. You may find out in a year or so that the cigars you love now, you will no longer wish to smoke. Folks gave me this same advice when I first started out, but I didn't listen. Stocked up on a bunch of favorites, only to send them to the troops a few years later.
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely sticking to fivers max right now. But the Padron 2000 though........tempted to buy a box.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely sticking to fivers max right now. But the Padron 2000 though........tempted to buy a box.
Ok dude, Padrons are one of the few exceptions. Very few folk don't like Padron and the 2000s just get better and better with age.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I too try lots of stuff.

I find it hard to get good cheaper cigars ( in canada, anything under 10$ is "cheap" so you can feel the pain )

Some are awesome at that price point but some are aweful.

Hey. I'm a herfdog and I too hate dog rockets! ;)

I generally get one uncertain stick and one or more I am at least kind of sure of.

I read up review and comments on the forums to help direct me in the purchases. Even if sélection local to me is kinda thin.

Tonight's smoke goes in the "not buy" category... while I have cheaper smokes that are awesome.

Go figure.

But the fun is about trying isn't it?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
71   0   0

Ok dude, Padrons are one of the few exceptions. Very few folk don't like Padron and the 2000s just get better and better with age.
Agreed.
I too try lots of stuff.

I find it hard to get good cheaper cigars ( in canada, anything under 10$ is "cheap" so you can feel the pain )

Some are awesome at that price point but some are aweful.

Hey. I'm a herfdog and I too hate dog rockets! ;)

I generally get one uncertain stick and one or more I am at least kind of sure of.

I read up review and comments on the forums to help direct me in the purchases. Even if sélection local to me is kinda thin.

Tonight's smoke goes in the "not buy" category... while I have cheaper smokes that are awesome.

Go figure.

But the fun is about trying isn't it?
The search is most certainly part of the fun.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Live n learn, ironically I had one of those epc inches just last night from a fiver I bought last year, smoked beautifully as did the other 4, so u may have had a tight one, and I don't typically go for the larger ring gauges

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you on limited time, and also a cigar beginner. If I plan on smoking a cigar I am unsure I will like, I usually bring a backup robusto, and toast that instead if the first third is just not good.

Life is simply too short to smoke bad cigars.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Stogieninja touched on some great points and pretty much covered it.

I suggest trying a few small ring gauge sticks from 38 to 48 RG and see if you find it appealing for more flavor :)