What's new

A beginner's journey...

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

Oliva Serie G Maduro

Size: 6 x 52 Torpedo

Wrapper: Maduro

Smoke time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Pre-light thoughts: I've been eagerly awaiting this experience. I purchased a box of these with my brother and he smoked one last week when we were hanging out. He enjoyed it, but his tastes tend to lean more towards Cuban cigars, whereas I tend to like more Nicaraguan and Honduran.

This cigar is simply GORGEOUS. Beautiful construction, a rich chocolatey colour, seams are nearly invisible, a perfect triple cap. The smell is (typical of a maduro) of sweet tobacco and cocoa.

Let's get her lit up...

First third: Right off the bat it's a very tight draw. I'm having a hard time getting much smoke out of this, though what there is has a very rich palette of flavours - cocoa, coffee, and a slight spiciness at the back of the throat.

The burn is a little wavy but nothing wrong with it - I've just been spoiled by that Capoeira, whose burn could have been used as a ruler.

Very nice start.

Second third: I snipped a little bit more off the foot in hopes that I just hadn't cut enough off, but no, there is still very little smoke coming out. I'm not having any issues with the cigar wanting to go out; I can leave it for 2 or 3 minutes and it doesn't even begin to extinguish. It's just not putting off much smoke.

The flavours are very consistent. Cocoa and coffee, and a spiciness on the (short) finish.

Final third: This is the first time this has ever happened - I have a good inch and a half, maybe even closer to two inches, and already the smoke is getting very hot. Personally, I don't like really hot smoke. I like it to be nice and cool in my mouth, which is why I often stop smoking when there's about an inch or so left in the cigar.

This seems to be happening very early.

Again, the flavours are consistent and rich (albeit a very short finish) with a relatively small smoke output.

I think that if it hadn't started getting so hot so early, I probably could have gotten another 15 minutes out of this. But I'm practically burning my lips at this point.

Ending thoughts: I enjoyed this...just not as much was I had hoped. I was expecting a real flavour house with some transitions, but it remained fairly consistent all the way through.

I could see this being a good "anytime, anywhere" stick for when your mind is elsewhere and you don't want to sit down and analyze the cigar experience.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I must reinforce that yes, having something that's very high in sugar really does help nicotine sickness.

It's happened to me twice in the last week and both times I just chugged a soda, and in less than 10 minutes I was right as rain.

MattBell

Will work for Dirty Rats
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
First off, I don't think I ever welcomed you, so, well, welcome!

I just read the whole thing, and I really like the idea behind the thread. It's fun to follow you through and see something new!

As for the sampler you got from CI, I'm going to have to agree with pretty much everyone else. There are some OK sticks in there, but I HATE Gurkhas. I had 2 of them. I smoked the first one gave the second away.

I will say, however, I really like the 5Vegas Golds. I got a box of them for a cheap "daily". You can get them for $35-40 for a box of 20, and you really can't beat that for a box of pretty good, mellow cigars.

Anyway, I look forward to your next review!

Matt

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I think I've found a new favorite, guys...

Padilla Signature 1932

Size: 5 x 50 Robusto

Wrapper: Corojo

Smoke time: 1 hour

Pre-light thoughts: First cigar in NYC! The smell of this cigar is delicious - almost like a slightly muted chocolate bar.

It's a firm, dense pack - the cigar has some weight to it. No soft spots at all.

It cuts perfectly clean, and a pre-light draw gives a flavour of rich tobacco, as well as a hint of spiciness. Can't wait to get it lit up.

First third: The first few draws are very peppery. It leaves a strong tingle in the back of the throat. It's almost like you've just swallowed something very spicey.

The tobacco flavour is balanced by a rich cocoa. It's really nice. It's got some power to it, too. About 15 minutes in and I'm already getting a little buzz from it. Nothing unpleasant, it's quite nice.

Second third: The flavours morph into a woody earthiness, with just a hint of that deep spice remaining. There's an aftertaste of nuts and chocolate.

I am almost thinking I prefer the corojo wrapper to my usual maduros. I'll have to keep my eyes out for more of this type!

Final third: The flavours have transitioned once again to a deep leathery wood. The spice still lingers but it's not nearly as dominant as it was in the first third.

The flavours are just so rich. It's very enjoyable. The power has remained consistent throughout - that is, it's got a kick to it, but it's nothing that's going to put you on your ass (especially if you've had a meal, which I did beforehand).

The burn has been absolutely razor-sharp. For the first inch or so it was a bit wavy but that was due to a very poor light (my fault!). It corrected itself, and then burned perfectly through to the end.

Ending thoughts: This is truly one of the most enjoyable cigars I have ever smoked.

It's rich and complex, giving off tons of thick smoke with layers of flavour.

I'm not sure if it's the corojo wrapper (as opposed to maduro which I smoke often) but I found this cigar had many more flavours on display. This is something I haven't experienced a lot of in my cigar smoking so far, and I think I can see myself preferring these more complex smokes.

But yeah, I HIGHLY recommend this one. It was fantastic.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Wow! Two new favorites in a row...

La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial

Size: 5 x 50 Robusto

Wrapper: Natural

Smoke time: 40 minutes

Pre-light thoughts: I picked this up at a little shop in Manhattan called OK Cigar - very nice, very helpful folks there. Check it out if you're ever in town!

It's got a great handmade look to it - it's slightly toothy, the bands are wrapped tightly but loose enough that I can pull them off without force (showing that they weren't attached by a machine) and the roll seems pretty much perfect. The cigar is quite spongy but there are no spots that are softer or harder. It's consistent.

Cut the cap off easily, and a pre-light draw seems to be quite loose. The flavours are of tobacco and cedar.

First third: I can tell right away this is going to be a very quick smoke. Each time I take a draw, I can actually see the burn line going down the cigar. This is not a bad or good thing, just an observation. Actually, if anything it's a good thing because sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a 2 hour cigar.

The flavours are very rich. Tobacco, cedar, and a slightly earthy core to it.

Tons of rich, creamy smoke. It's smoking beautifully.

Second third: The burn continues to be quite fast. I'm well into the second third after about 25 minutes. I'm not smoking particularly fast, either, taking about a draw a minute which is fairly average.

The flavours are still rich and sweet. While I usually find the flavour of tobacco on its own to be a little plain, this is great. It hasn't changed much, with the cedar popping in and out and maybe a slight hint of leather coming in once in a while, but there haven't been any major transitions.

Final third: Just over 30 minutes and I'm nearing the end. It's been a very pleasant smoke and something I would not hazard to say is worthy of a box purchase.

The flavours, while not as complex as the Padilla I smoked the other day, are just as pleasant and rich. It doesn't quite have the body of the Padilla, either.

Again, while it hasn't been loaded with dozens of different flavours the few that are there are beautiful.

Ending thoughts: One of the quickest smokes I've ever had, but like I said earlier, I like that since I'm not always feeling like a 2 hour smoke (particularly once it starts to get cold).

I also attribute some of the speed of the smoke to it being quite windy today.

I really enjoyed this. I would totally buy a box of these, and I think the robusto is the perfect size.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

5 Vegas Gold

Size: 5.5 x 55 "Double Nickel"

Wrapper: Connecticut

Smoke time: 1 hour

Pre-light thoughts: I believe this is my first Connecticut - the only reason I'm uncertain is because before this year I'd smoked maybe three cigars in my life, and am uncertain what any of them were.

So, let's just say that it is indeed my first Connecticut wrapper cigar!

Right away I can see and feel that it's very well constructed. It's densely packed, very firm with no soft spots or sponginess.

A nice double cap. I cut the top cap off and the pre-light draw gives flavours of sweet tobacco and very light cedar, almost like the inside of a humidor.

First third: Again a slight breeze at the second I began to light caused it to light a little wonky, but it's already correcting itself. The flavours are very, very mild - a light pepper, a hint of fresh cedar, and the rest is just a light, sweet tobacco.

Not much else to report. It's burning well, there's lots of smoke albeit not particularly thick or rich.

Second third: About 15-20 minutes in and I'm just over an inch down. The flavours haven't changed but have (to my disbelief) actually mellowed. I didn't think that would be possibly when they're already so mild, but they've actually grown more subtle.

So far this strikes me as the type of cigar I often read people talking about as "a mowing the lawn stick". The flavours just aren't there for it to be the type of cigar you sit down and study.

That's not to say it's bad. It's pleasant and the flavours are nice. There's just not much there.

Final third: Took me just a smidgen under an hour to burn through this one. The flavours remained consistently mellow and (dare I say) a little one-dimensional throughout.

I did like it. I really did. It's just that after the flavour-houses I've experienced over the last week, this was the equivalent of 1 part maple syrup with 5 parts water to put on your pancakes. Sure it's a nice flavour, but more would be better.

Ending thoughts: I'm finding that my tastes do tend to lie more towards medium-full bodied cigars. Eat a nice big meal, get a glass of ice water, and enjoy a full-flavoured experience...that's what I prefer.

I'll say again that this was a NICE cigar. The construction is perfect, and it's nice to know I have something to enjoy when I don't feel like having my butt kicked by a full-bodied punch to the gut.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Sorry I have been neglectful of the thread as of late.

I smoked three cigars over the past week...

Nub 464 Connecticut
Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Toro
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Generosos

I won't tell you which was which until the reviews but for now, one was one of the best cigars I've ever smoked, one was very good, and one was an enormous letdown.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Just smoked an Illusione HL (Holy Lancero) - 7.5 x 42.

It was a wonderful cigar. I can't think of many other sticks I've experienced that had that many layers of rich flavour.

The first third was very spicey with some subtle hints of coffee and cocoa. In the second third, the spice and pepper was almost completely subdued, and the cocoa began to take center stage.

The final third was pure sweetness. Sweet tobacco and milk chocolate.

But man, it had quick a kick to it. I smoked it after a big meal and it left me sweaty and a little queasy.