What's new

A Brother in Need (please read)

IHT

Im-Ho-Tep
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
some of you may know LasciviousXXX from here or on ClubStogie. i've come to know him pretty closely because he was one of the newbies i kinda took under my wing and shoved directly down the slope with a lot of my box splits and group buys... Dustin is a great guy....

on to the story. his house burned down this weekend (renting), the only things they could salvage were some clothes that needed a good washing. he then found out that what he thought was the renters insurance that covered everything was in fact only liability in case anyone got hurt.

so, pretty much, a total loss. he's stayed in a hotel the past couple nights and might have found a new place, that was as of my lunch break today when i got off the phone with him.

we have something going for him over on ClubStogie, and instead of having things all over the net, i'll just post the damn link and you can all check it out yourselves.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22547

anything would be appreciated.

thanks for looking.
greg

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
It is awful news... My thoughts and prayers go out to Dustin..

what needs to be done... i know that on CS they are planning on buying a humi for him and if there is extra cash do a gift certificate.... My only thought is that with a complete loss might he need the essentials of life a little more right now then cigars??? i mean i know how important these things are to our daily lives but they are not physical necessities no matter what we say...

I dont know.. those are just my thoughts if I am off-base by this then just let me know and i apologize but rationally thinking there might be more that he needs right now

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Sorry to hear of this tragedy, but at least no one was injured.

While I'm sure everyone's heart is in the right place, I really don't think a $1200 humidor is really appropriate for someone who is now homeless and who lost most everything they own. :lookaroun

IHT

Im-Ho-Tep
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
tobby4 said:
It is awful news... My thoughts and prayers go out to Dustin..

what needs to be done... i know that on CS they are planning on buying a humi for him and if there is extra cash do a gift certificate.... My only thought is that with a complete loss might he need the essentials of life a little more right now then cigars??? i mean i know how important these things are to our daily lives but they are not physical necessities no matter what we say...

I dont know.. those are just my thoughts if I am off-base by this then just let me know and i apologize but rationally thinking there might be more that he needs right now
the humi is mine.

we've discussed the priorities, and it seems like a lot of that will also be taken care of. some members are going to get him gift cards for places to buy essentials, and we've even discussed getting a gift card to a furniture store, etc, etc, etc. thats all been talked about. and if he doesn't want the humi, thats fine, he can use the money for whatever.

when i talked to him today he even said that cigars aren't on top of his list, which i agree with.
but, cigars are what have brought us all together, and i'm sure he would appreciate also getting that, along with the cigars some ppl will be sending (he'll need a place to put 'em all).

i know and understand what you're getting at. marc (opusex on clubstogie) and i discussed all that as well over the phone. we're leaving it up to those that are donating. if they don't want to donate a $50 toward the humi, that's cool, donate whatever they/you want, anything will be appreciated.

sorry so short, got things to do (when i'm blunt i come off like an a-hole sometimes when i'm just trying to get to the point).

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I will see what I can do to help.

Do you know what size clothes they wear?

Waist and inseam for pants and shirt size for him and just the size for her? And maybe even the sizes for the other things up top.

Shoe sizes

That kind of stuff.

Right now, unless they have family close, aside from food and a new place to live, clothes are probably the thing they are most lacking in.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... this is my biggest fear in life, losing everything.

Thoughts go out to him and his family. Hope i can help with something, even if it is a nice cigar to take his mind of things for an hour.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Aren't there "gift cards"/visa cards that can be loaded up with credits and used anywhere? Maybe BoTL should give one or two of those loaded up so they can buy whatever they need when they need it. It's early here, so I'll check it out later.

Yeah, here is what I was thinking. That way, if they need clothing, furniture, food, ect.......

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea visa gift cards would be best. Let us know about clothes too, I have a ton laying around.

I hate hearing about things like this

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I'm not in a very good postition to organize the collection and purchase a card, but would have no problem kicking in some $. If someone is willing to collect and purchase the card.......would save sending many. We could chip in, buy 1 card with a larger balance, all from BoTL......

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Dustin and Echo are the best kind of people, kind and generous with their time and money. This kind of thing happens, and can certainly happen to anyone, and it is a great thing when help arrives in any form from unexpected corners. I've donated but am happy to put some more toward a gift card. PM me when details are clear.

IHT

Im-Ho-Tep
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
djs134 said:
Aren't there "gift cards"/visa cards that can be loaded up with credits and used anywhere? Maybe BoTL should give one or two of those loaded up so they can buy whatever they need when they need it. It's early here, so I'll check it out later.

Yeah, here is what I was thinking. That way, if they need clothing, furniture, food, ect.......
excellent idea, my man. that's what we were thinking about for a way to get them some furniture.
thanks a ton with the link as well.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
djs134 said:
Not a problem, more than happy to help. Just let us know where to send the donations that can be used to charge up the card.....
Agree. Please post the where and how!!!

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
CWS said:
Agree. Please post the where and how!!!
Here is the info for the person heading it up:

Please mark all donations as to which they are (#1 or #2) and send to:
Marc Aub
477A Wallingford Road
Durham, CT 06422

~Mark

LasciviousXXX

One Bad M.F.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I first off want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers and any donations that you guys sent. It is definitely appreciated and both Echo and I are eternally grateful.

It was a pretty awful situation and there for about a week we didn't know where we were going to live. However thanks to good friends and people on both ClubStogie and BOTL as well as Mark at Cigarmony and the DogWatch Cigar guys, we were able to get back on our feet a little and we're trying to get life back to as normal as possible. 85-90% of our stuff was destroyed and we're having to put our lives back together piece by piece. Really the worst part was losing many of our memories, pictures etc. That was just heartbreaking.

Then on about the 3rd day, it hit me...... all of my cigars are gone. It was a terribly depressing day. Cabinet Humi and all its aged contents were gone. I have to admit I tear'd up a little.

But thanks to the overwhelming generosity of BOTL's out there everyone chipped in and not only sent giftcards and a few smokes but ended up purchasing me an Aristocrat Humidor. I must say I was shocked speechless when I found out about that. I was humbled beyond words and really don't know how to fully express my gratitude to everyone. Thank you just doesn't come close.

This is probably the biggest bombing run in Cigar Board History as I don't think anyone has ever been bombed with a huge humi before. Much less everything else that everyone has sent or is sending.

Once again thank you to all of you who were able to get involved. Its great to see the cigar community get behind a fellow BOTL that way. You guys are my hero's.

My Deepest Thanks,
Dustin
XXX

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Nice to see you're getting your life back together Dustin :thumbsup: I don't even want to imagine what you went through.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
A tragedy to say the least! I'm glad to hear that things are looking up for you and this is one great community to put it mildly.