What's new

A bug in my tin of mini's?

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I went to get some cigars and I thought I would get some mini's for on my way to school. When I opened the tin when I got home there was a little bug on the paper wrapping around the bundle of cigars. It crawled real fast so I do not think it was a beetle. I quick smashed the bug and it was too small and mushed to tell what it was. The smokes are Jose Gener. Here is a pic of the things. Any way what could it have been? Are they safe to smoke (I already have smoked a couple)? If a cigar does have a beetle in it can you smoke them or would it taste really foul?

~Brett:chat:

Last edited:

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
look at the tin, i'm willing to bet that is the only thing you need to worry about search each one for bore holes, something like this:

the beetles look like this:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cigars are safe to smoke after you do one procedure: throw the tinny in the freezer for 24 hours, then put it back in your humi to rehumidify for a few days. The tobacco beetle (if that is indeed what it was) cannot live for very long periods in sub-freezing temperatures.

Good cigar importers do this with all their stock when the shipments arrive in Miami... but once in awhile beetles slip through. I should know, they wrecked an entire box of my La Aurora Preferidos, which were in metallic tubos. Riddle me that one.

I should note that this is all assuming the cigars don't look like the picture n.olson posted. If they are that bad, then it's really no use- it's similar to picking up a cigarette butt off the ground and smoking it... sure, you will get your tobacco but will it really be all that enjoyable knowing where it come from (or in this case, what happened to it)? I don't believe I could smoke a cigar that looked like that, regardless of whether or not there were dead beetles in the stogie.

The bright side is that if you don't have any of those bore holes, then you are golden and can chalk it up to being a random bug in your stash.

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
side note, those weren't my cigars, just sample photos i found on the net. bummer for those guys. and cash, i'd take jayson's advice, better safe than sorry.

and after all the bombs lately, i bet you can spare that tin for 24 hours :devilhead

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I've seen a bug before, just no beetles. I think it was some type of house bug that made it's way into my vino.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The cigars are safe to smoke after you do one procedure: throw the tinny in the freezer for 24 hours, then put it back in your humi to rehumidify for a few days. The tobacco beetle (if that is indeed what it was) cannot live for very long periods in sub-freezing temperatures.

Good cigar importers do this with all their stock when the shipments arrive in Miami... but once in awhile beetles slip through. I should know, they wrecked an entire box of my La Aurora Preferidos, which were in metallic tubos. Riddle me that one.

I should note that this is all assuming the cigars don't look like the picture n.olson posted. If they are that bad, then it's really no use- it's similar to picking up a cigarette butt off the ground and smoking it... sure, you will get your tobacco but will it really be all that enjoyable knowing where it come from (or in this case, what happened to it)? I don't believe I could smoke a cigar that looked like that, regardless of whether or not there were dead beetles in the stogie.

The bright side is that if you don't have any of those bore holes, then you are golden and can chalk it up to being a random bug in your stash.
First most residential freezers will not get the temp low enought to impact the little buggers. IF you have a subzero you can make it work but 24 usually wont do it. Never go from the freeze to humi. Freezer to fridge 24 hours then to humi