What's new

A Coolidor Primer

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I had a line on a vintotemp here locally, talked to the person for about 5 days and they knew I was going to buy it just out schedules clashed a little. Then I contacted them on the morning I was suppose to buy it, they never answered for a few hours. Finally when I was just going to drive in the direction of their location they contact me back and tell me they just sold it. So I put that money into a cigar box fund! This was my backup plan!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begin!

What I didn't like with that specific cooler it doesn't have a drain hole which is a plus or minus depending on your needs I keep one exactly like that in the trunk of my car lol for when cigar shopping... I prefer using Boveda and getting some nice Cedar that is very aromatic.. The reason I like the drain hole is because you can run some decent Computer Fans into the box and for example I use a Ultra Sonic fogger + Fan in another one to charge my boveda lol... The coolers are the best in my opinion.. I went with wineadors etc when I overflowed into coolers I was like common this is so cheap and so good :) the only deal is I keep this place atleast at 69F and when am on the road with a cooler in the trunk it can heat up haven't figured out how to solve that issue.. So I end up hauling this cooler into hotels with me lol...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks Headbanger and everyone on this thread - I've been considering a small coolidor for nephew who is going away to college. Great info.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Just got into cigars after a recent Carribbean trip and am loving it... had never smoked before.

I have a Coolidor with a jar of HUMI-CARE Crystal Gel Humidification I got from CI. As such, my cooler sits at 67F/70%, which I believe to be pretty good. Nonetheless, I would like to try the kitty litter. My local pet store has unscented, crystal KL. Is that good to go, or should I be looking for something else?

I appreciate the time and effort.

Chris.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yo Chris, you can do what you want, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Are those jars two-way, as in they will absorb extra moisture? If so, you can do what I do to keep them from drying out: toss some distilled water in a bowl, and rest it in the coolidor. Once the gel has been over saturated, pull your bowl out. Piece of cake. I do this exact thing with bovedas.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Hi guys,

Just got into cigars after a recent Carribbean trip and am loving it... had never smoked before.

I have a Coolidor with a jar of HUMI-CARE Crystal Gel Humidification I got from CI. As such, my cooler sits at 67F/70%, which I believe to be pretty good. Nonetheless, I would like to try the kitty litter. My local pet store has unscented, crystal KL. Is that good to go, or should I be looking for something else?

I appreciate the time and effort.

Chris.
This post here should give you the basics of getting the kitty litter to the humidity that you want http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php/8917-A-Coolidor-Primer?p=1190694&viewfull=1#post1190694

feel free to send me a PM if you need some additional help and I will be happy to walk you through the process. I have 2 coolers and 2 desktops that I am humidifying this way and they sit at a steady 65-66% humidity with virtually no effort. About every 3-4 months the I need to give them a couple more sprays but other than that they are trouble free.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My coolidor is coming into line. I tried to hurry the beads a bit so it has taken a few. Maintaining a humidor/coolidor continues to teach me one simple rule...patience, patience, patience! With the coolidor I also learned to follow advice from this thread to the letter especially the part about buying a bigger cooler. I live in a remote area with few options for shopping around... Ordered a 125 Qt. on-line first and it didn't seal well. After returning it, I shopped around as much as I could but could only find a 48 Qt. that sealed well. When I put boxes in for set-up I realized how few it takes to fill this sucker.

All-in-all still a cheap and fricking cool (forgive the pun) option for storing cigars... Thanks for the thread!

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have been working on filling my coolidor as we speak. I have a half pound of beads as well as a pound of KL. It hold a steady 67% but in my case my basement is very cool and my temp was below 60F. So I ran a cord into the cooler and connected a 4 watt incandescent bulb in a nightlight and stick that in a small cigar box with the lid that is mostly shut. Put that on a timer so it is on for 3 hours and off for 3 hours. Right now it is a steady 64F when ever I check. Everything in the cooler is resting for the next couple of months before I will starting sneaking a few out to "test" ;)

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I just bought my NewAir CC-300 wineador, but think I'm also going to set up a cooledor that i can "hide" from myself for aging. How would I regulate the temperature to keep it between 65*-68*? I keep the temperature in my house around 74* (winter), to 77* (summer), and every room in the house has windows or is on an exterior wall, except 1 closet downstairs and the pantry (we don't have basements in SoCal). Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.