What's new

A day in the life........

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm curious to know what it's like to work for a cigar manufacturer. I've been in Sales most of my life and have always dreamed about being a cigar rep, but I'm curious. What's it really like to be a Rep?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I'm guessing the hours are long, the pay is moderate at best, and you're traveling 90% of the time. Guessing you really, really gotta have a passion for cigars and a really outgoing personality to make it work.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I used to think I'd like to do it but I know a few people now and you sacrifice a lot. The job is definitely better for single people without a family. Long 80hr weeks with lots of driving and constant nagging from superiors. It's a very competitive and driven environment. If your mind is right you can thrive but if you value personal time and family time it's definitely not a great choice. That is my take at least.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I used to think I'd like to do it but I know a few people now and you sacrifice a lot. The job is definitely better for single people without a family. Long 80hr weeks with lots of driving and constant nagging from superiors. It's a very competitive and driven environment. If your mind is right you can thrive but if you value personal time and family time it's definitely not a great choice. That is my take at least.
This. I talked with a rep when I was at the B&M. She said her average week was over seventy hours and she hadn't had a weekend off in months. A lot of shops do their best business Friday through Sunday so to meet the most consumers that is the time to be there. It isn't just glad handing shop owners. You have to get out there and talk to the consumers. You're trying to grow the complete customer base.

The other thing she mentioned is people constantly nagging about free samples. Every shop owner wants something for free. Even the ones that give you one box on the shelf. Then there are the consumers. She said it isn't uncommon for people to try to get multiple free sticks to "make up their mind." Then the bosses want to keep a tight reign on promo sticks so you have to be judicious and use a lot of good judgement. Even though a guy is buying five of your brand you might not be able to comp him because there is another mooch in the corner that will be waiting to talk about your company because he bought nothing and got nothing.

She said she covered from southern Virginia down to South Carolina and most of eastern North Carolina. I can't imagine how many miles she drives every week.

It didn't sound like much fun.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
It sounds like when I sold insurance. It took me about a month to say, no mas. After putting 6,000 miles on my car in a month and logging right at 370 hours I knew it wasn't for me.
Lol, yeah driving is all part of it. Living mobile

I did alright for a few years then 2009 happened. Was flipping hud homes and other $1k-12k houses in @TonyRome neighborhood until everyone ran out of money. Did property management for a few after that while starting back where I currently work. What a roller coaster those few years were.....

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I used to help a snowboard rep for a major company when I lived in OR by doing on-snow demos. Real cool gig, but I was single, it was only Fri-Sun, and I got to snowboard in some cool places. I also got the newest gear, because we had to look and live the part. Easy enough!
The rep though, he was busy all the time. Meeting accounts, driving to meet accounts, meeting higher-ups from the company to talk business, driving all over the Pacific Northwest to meet accounts, shmoozing with customers and dropping promo, dealing with parents giving sob stories as to why he should give them a free board for their kid b/c of..., drive some more, get snowboards ready for demos, set up more events, fly over-seas for work, fly back, give out more promo, etc.
He got a certain amount of promo, and when that ran out, he had to usually purchase more. He only got a set amount of boards to sell, which he had to purchase, and if they all didn't sell he ate the difference.
He loved it, but he was always on the road or busy with work. Being single helped him as well.
Different industries, but still reppin' all the same.
Just my 2 cents!

Last edited: