What's new

A different way to cut

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did a quick search but couldn't find anything like this so apologies if it's been done.

Was at my local B&M last week and the proprietor should me something he was shown on a recent multi city trip across the US. He's been smoking cigars and pipes for most of his life and it was new to him so who knows.

You take your normal cutter and close it lightly against the cigar. Then rotate the cigar for a full circle. The cap then just falls off leaving the leaf uncrushed .

I tried it on a My Father last night it worked great.

Just passing it along for folks to try.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Oddly enough, this is how I first taught myself how to cut cigars. I'd never seen anyone else do it before so I applied my knowledge of pipe cutting and went to work. Always worked like a charm for me. Sometimes when I get lazy I just lop off the cap and I have torn the wrapper or got an uneven cut as a result.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I've been doing this lately because my cutter has been crushing the shoulder on the cigars. Didn't know it was an actual accepted method!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
In the past I used this method a lot more frequently than I do now. I tend to save it for when I borrow a cutter that I have never used before.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Interesting. Thanks Flyboy! This might make some of my shitty, old, now-dull cutters useable again.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I have tried this in the past with mixed results. It all depends on how the cigar is rolled as well. if the cigar is rolled with a blunt square end it works quite well if it has a rounded head then it does not work as well as if you just slice off the end then there often is not enough of a draw for me. If you try it further back you leave some tobacco protruding past the cut which I don't like. In the end I stick with throw out the crappy dull cutters and buy something that does not require the extra finesse.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have tried this in the past with mixed results. It all depends on how the cigar is rolled as well. if the cigar is rolled with a blunt square end it works quite well if it has a rounded head then it does not work as well as if you just slice off the end then there often is not enough of a draw for me. If you try it further back you leave some tobacco protruding past the cut which I don't like. In the end I stick with throw out the crappy dull cutters and buy something that does not require the extra finesse.
What he said ^. I feel the exact same way. I will use this method on certain types of cigars as some factories teach their rollers to push the wrapper tobacco down into the middle of the cigar before applying the cap, and thus basically plugging up the cigar. This method makes for a very hard draw if the whole top cap "end" isn't cut off, but most of the time, it is no problem. I know that it works well with Padron X000 series. :applause: