What's new

A. Fuente Anejo - Cameroon Shark

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
So today is a kinda weird day for me--I sold my Jeep. The very thing that I let define me for the better part of a decade, the single most important possession in my life since 2001, the vehicle that I spent more money in modifications on than the actual original purchase price, my horse for all those boulder strewn trails I trailer'd it out to for all those years...gone.

It was time, tho. I'd neglected it, hadn't even started it in over 2 years, and had only taken it out once the year before that. It'd just been sitting in my garage, begging to go out. But I'd sold my tow rig ('cuz diesel fuel was almost $5 gal) and didn't have any way to haul the Jeep around. Then last year, I finally decided to sell the trailer so even renting a tow rig to go out became out of the question. So I put 'er out to pasture today.

So in celebration of my Jeep's glorious life, I decided to go pull something out of my humidor that I'd been hoarding for just too damn long: this A. Fuente Anejo 77 Shark with the Cameroon wrapper.

The Cammy Shark.

I got this from Holt's in the Dec 2006 "Carlito's Way" sampler pack. The Cammy Shark is a little bit rare--not particularly so since everyone who wanted one was able to buy a sampler--but moreso than the average cigar, and it's certainly the rarest thing I've got left in my humidor. It's also a great example of me sitting on something for a long assed time...which is exactly what I've done with the Jeep. Poetic justice, you might say.

The cigar is exactly what the name suggests: a standard Anejo Shark, but instead of the Maduro wrapper it has a Cameroon one. If you're a fan of Fuente cigars and are familiar with their history, you're certainly aware of their background with Cameroon wrappers. In my opinion, no one does Cameroon better than Fuente. And then putting it on a Shark, one of my very favorite Fuente sticks? Getthefugouttahere you know it's over.

Having smoked a ton of standard Sharks over the years, I can tell you that the flavor of the Cammy wrapper really does change the overall profile of this cigar. It's noticably sweeter than a standard Shark, and is somewhat more mellow. It still mostly has that same 'bite' as regular Shark, but is perhaps just a bit less pronounced. Of course, some of that might be due to the fact that it's been sitting in my humidor for 3-and-a-half years, and I tend to smoke my regular Sharks within 6 months of acquiring them. They're just too damn tasty not to burn up, ya know?

Is the Cammy shark better than the regular Maddy shark? No, I don't think so.

But it's definitely a welcome change.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go smoke the rest of my cigar and honor the best horse I ever had.

- Duane

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
wow.. first time i'v ever seen a sand shark... heard the term thrown around a bunch, used to think it was an opus shark!

thanks for the review on this HTF, especially the bottom like that it's equal to the anejo

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Glad to see you around Duane. And you put it a litlle mildly as to how rare they really are. They may not have been so hard for a long term botl like yourself but for many they very hard. Love the fact that you weren't expecting it to be the end all be all in cigar. And. With that took the rare cigar and enjoyed it for what is was a great cigar that is a change of pace and great experience for a special day.

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
Sorry to hear you had to sell it, but all good things must come to an end. Thanks for the review and pics. Sounds like a nice smoke.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Thanks for the comments, guys.

And Gibble, nice to see you around too--and glad you understood where I was coming from on that cigar. I smoked it like it was intended, that's for sure. It was a good stick, but in the end the sentimental value I'll forever have from smoking it is the best thing of all.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Smoked one of these a few months back (when I still liked fuente cigars, and DC Robusto was one of my favorites!!) I was not impressed with it. It lost everything the anejo is about, and gained nothing... I agree with you that no one does Cammy like fuente... but this is just the wrong stick for it.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I always wondered what folks were referring to when they mentioned "sand sharks." Now I know :) Thanks for the nice review

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Buddy, I know just how you feel. I sold my Jeep last year before deploying to Baghdad for a year, and I'm still kicking myself. I've got a sand shark sitting in the humi getting older as we speak. Guess I'll have to come up with an auspicious occasion to smoke it some time.....

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Buddy, I know just how you feel. I sold my Jeep last year before deploying to Baghdad for a year, and I'm still kicking myself. I've got a sand shark sitting in the humi getting older as we speak. Guess I'll have to come up with an auspicious occasion to smoke it some time.....
I've never conversed with you before (since I'm not on here much nowadays) but let me go ahead and say, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service to this great country. It's men like you who make me proud, very proud, to be an American. Stay safe out there my friend.

:usaflag: