What's new

A funny thing happened on the way to the smoke shop

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
So I trundled on over to the local cigar shop to buy some cigars (that Vault humidor isn't getting any fuller. I keep hoping they'll breed, but I think I'm weeding them out too fast:headroll: ) ... just figuring I'd get a bundle of Cusano MC's or M1's (love them for daily smokes) and a couple singles.

I walk into the humidor and there's 3 Air Force Academy cadets wandering around with a lost look on their faces. If you live in this town long enough you get to where you can pick cadets out at 200 yards. So I say hi, start chatting with them, ask what squadron they're with, etc.

Turns out all three got promoted today, and, as is the custom, they're buying cigars for their squadron mates to celebrate.

There's generally two types of cadets: The ones that had plenty of money to go to college, got the free ride, and thus bought a $50k car, and the ones that got the free ride and roll a Hyundai anyway (not that there's anything wrong there, of course). These were definitely the latter. So they're looking at AVO's and such and doing the math in their heads and freaking out. They don't want to buy some rancid cheap smokes, but don't know anything about cigars and don't want to drop $250 apiece.

So I take them over, show them the Cusanos (same I'm there to buy) and the Perdomo Frescos. Mild, inexpensive, and (I think, at least) pretty good for the money. They each walk out with two bundles and a couple higher-end singles (which I also recommended) for themselves.

I start looking around and discover that the shop's having an inventory reduction sale - 20% off selected sealed boxes, 30% off selected singles. I got all excited, grabbed up a bunch of singles (some old faves, some new recommendations ... hell I bought a few because they looked good), grabbed my bundle of MC's, and headed for the counter.

Reggie looks at my pile and goes "you sold those cadets on those bundles, didn't you?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess, why?"

"No reason."

He rings me up, I do the math, and realize I'm about $55 short of where I ought to be. I look at the ticket, and he didn't ring my bundle.

"Uh, Reg ..."

"You gonna argue, or you gonna take your cigars and get out?"

"... no, I'm gonna go back and have another go at the sales rack."

:stretchgr

So that's friggin' beautiful, but I decide to smoke one of the Partagas I bought, and walk over to their sitting area, and old Jim is sitting there.

Jim's daughter owns the coffee shop next to my business. We've solved all the world's problems a few dozen times over a cigar out front. I knew he was a regular there but never ran into him in there.

Jim is 83. Enlisted in the Army Air Corps at 17, somehow became a bomber pilot. Flew B-17's til the Nazis shot him down and captured him. Escaped, hid out for two weeks, got re-captured, escaped AGAIN, met with and fought with the French Resistance for almost 3 weeks before getting back to the American lines ... took about a week off and went back to flying bomber missions. Got out after the war and was recruited to fly for the CIA. I've seen a picture of him, just before the ouster of Batista, having dinner and Puros with Che Guevarra and the Castro brothers. He's an utterly fascinating guy.

Anyway, Jim smokes rot-gut cigars. He usually smokes "Cuban Rejects," and considers them just fantastic. For Christmas I bought him 10 Cusano (I love the brand, can you tell?) CC Churchills. He decided they were just the best cigars he's ever had.

So I walk into the smoke shop and see him - haven't seen him in a while 'cause he only comes down and smokes in front of the coffee shop when it's warm. I walk up and say hi, and he stands up and introduces me to the crowd, and starts telling them all how I gave him these great cigars.

Now, I dunno any of these folks, but you can just tell that, while they might not sneer at the Cusanos, they probably have other ideas about what a "great" cigar is. But they all think highly of Jim (he's kinda holding court), so I instantly became "A pretty cool kid."

Some of 'em also fly fish, which helps, so we're talking about this and that, and several of them are pawing through my purchases and going, "oh, you got some _________. Have you tried the _________?"

"No, I haven't." (not adding on the "because the _________'s are pretty expensive and I haven't robbed any banks lately.")

"Really? Oh, man, you gotta ... here, just a sec, I have some in my stash in the back ..."

So, long story short, I walked out with what you see below:

As well as a bundle of Cusano MC's and a bag of about 9 cigars of various, but expensive, lineage, that I didn't have to pay for.

All in all? A very good day.:eyequiver

Attachments

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Do I spy "the cigar" band wrapped sticks the pic? It's black with gold line drawn tobacco leaves of on it. I did not know you could still get them. I have not been to a decent B&M for quite some time now to see if they're still carried and I can't find them online.

Sounds like one of those days you just can't believe and will make you smile from ear to ear.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Do I spy "the cigar" band wrapped sticks the pic? It's black with gold line drawn tobacco leaves of on it.
Indeed - by Perdomo. One box; I picked up about 8 of them. No idea what the status on production was but apparently they found one tucked in a corner somewhere.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Jim's daughter owns the coffee shop next to my business. We've solved all the world's problems a few dozen times over a cigar out front. I knew he was a regular there but never ran into him in there.

Jim is 83. Enlisted in the Army Air Corps at 17, somehow became a bomber pilot. Flew B-17's til the Nazis shot him down and captured him. Escaped, hid out for two weeks, got re-captured, escaped AGAIN, met with and fought with the French Resistance for almost 3 weeks before getting back to the American lines ... took about a week off and went back to flying bomber missions. Got out after the war and was recruited to fly for the CIA. I've seen a picture of him, just before the ouster of Batista, having dinner and Puros with Che Guevarra and the Castro brothers. He's an utterly fascinating guy.
I've met Jim a few times. Guessing you were hanging out at Stag? Jim always has a few good stories to tell! He seems to have more crazy war stories than everyone else I've met combined! I always enjoy hearing the Castro ones, and how he says Castro was a great guy and it was Che and Raul who were pushing him towards the communist stuff. I've been meaning to go there with some cash so I can pick up his book.
Glad you had such a great day! I'll let you know the next time I'm going down to the Springs for the weekend. Maybe we can meet up at Stag or the 15C.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I loved those cigars from Perdomo. Would you run by and grab a few more and I'll pay you for them. I remember them being like $4 or so a piece. That is if there's still some left.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Awesome story, thanks for the fantastic read. I'll have to keep this in mind whenever I get around to visiting my buddy who's also a cadet at the Academy.