What's new

A good beginners cigar?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Yeah, my personal opinion is that Cuban cigars are no better or worse than Nicaraguan, Honduran, Dominican, etc.

There are some Cubans that are absolutely stellar, creme de la creme smokes. But there are also Nicaraguans like that, and Hondurans, and Dominicans.

There are also some Cubans that are cheap crap, just like there are cheap crap cigars from every country.

Like FireDoc said above me, I think much of the allure of Cuban cigars in the USA is the fact that they're illegal. Kind of a "forbidden fruit" type thing.

JCJ

All for the glory of God!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aria - Welcome! I too am a beginner and have quite a few questions when it comes to cigar smoking. My first (and usual) cigars were from CAO. I always thought the CAO Gold was a nice mild cigar that I could deal with until I was able/ready to progress. Don Diego is also a mild cigar. And of course, everything that other BOTLs are mentioning I'm sure are good as well. Shoot - I might have to order me some of the cigars that are being suggested. Take care.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Yeah, my personal opinion is that Cuban cigars are no better or worse than Nicaraguan, Honduran, Dominican, etc.

There are some Cubans that are absolutely stellar, creme de la creme smokes. But there are also Nicaraguans like that, and Hondurans, and Dominicans.

There are also some Cubans that are cheap crap, just like there are cheap crap cigars from every country.

Like FireDoc said above me, I think much of the allure of Cuban cigars in the USA is the fact that they're illegal. Kind of a "forbidden fruit" type thing.
Each there own brother but in the 2 plus years I've been here I would have to disagree with certain things.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Each there own brother but in the 2 plus years I've been here I would have to disagree with certain things.

Cubans make great cigars, no doubt, but I can't help but find how they are almost universally seen as "the best" to be a little hyperbolic.

I guess what I'm trying to say that I don't think any one country makes "the best" cigars - they all have some incredible blends and brands.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
The Oliva sampler on CigarMonster right now wouldn't be a bad start for the Oliva family of cigars.

http://www.cigarmonster.com/

2 Famous 70th Oliva Toro Natural (6 x 50)
2 Nub Habano 466 Natural (4 x 66)
2 Oliva Serie G Robusto Natural (4 1/2 x 50)
2 Oliva Serie O Robusto Natural (5 x 50)
2 Oliva Serie V Double Robusto Natural (5 x 54)

28.98 shipped.

Rev

Perfecto Lounge
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oliva is a decent choice to start with but the smokes are somewhat one dimensional.

I always recommend an Joyo de Nicaragua Cabinetta (many sizes...all of them good) as the flavor profile changes dramatically as you smoke the stick.

First 1/4 inch = Somewhat spicy (white pepper...VERY common flavor in cigars) with hints of leather.

After that, the spice completely disappears and the leather flavor becomes more pronounced but takes a back seat to roasted hazelnut and cafe creme without any overbearing sweetness. These flavors continue to build as you smoke. At the band (newbie tip #110 - DON'T SMOKE THE BAND :thumbsup:) you'll notice the wrapper changes color to a nice, dark rich brown. The flavor profile completely changes to reveal cappuccino and cocoa without the sweetness...almost like baker's chocolate.

Great beginners stick to pay attention to the varied flavors of cigar tobacco's!

Have fun!!!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
the punch magnum is a good one to start with. Good price and decen flavor. Padilla 68 is another good one when you can find it under $5 per stick. The tatuaje havana angeles is a great stick at around $5 and well worth trying. Good luck brother.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
You can probably find better prices on the Internet, but I think you should go to a local shop near you. Develop a relationship with them and they will help you to discover your likes and dislikes. Local shops are the backbone of our hobby and we need to support them as much as possible. Plus you will meet new people that share your passion for cigars!!
Well said
Ditto... From personal experience, a year and a half ago i was gifted my first cigar by a friend because I was curious. Once i got back home, i bought some Don Kiki Red's from a discount tobacco store (not a b&m) and found my first cigar that I really liked. A couple of weeks later, i made my way into a b&m on a whim, and ended up being befriended by the shop owner and some of the guys there. The shop owner started suggesting cigars to me according to what I explained, and i continued to try different things to familiarize my palate, and learn more about cigars in general.

Then on a whim, while doing research on a cigar i was interested in, i found this site and the rest is history! I've learned so much since becoming a member of BOTL, and the friendships that I've developed are even better! So as the brotha suggested, continue searching the forums, and asking questions, and find a local shop where you feel at home! You'll be all the better for doing so!

Centro33

Smoke. Quaff. Sleep.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has been hit in other responses; but, for me, the Fuente 8-5-8 is an ideal cigar for the beginner. It has great flavor -- not too full bodied, not too mild -- and is a wonderful baseline for what a person might like. If it doesn't have enough flavor, move up to Illusione, Joya de Nicaragua, Tatuaje, etc., if you'd like it even smoother go with a Dunhill or Camacho Connecticut, etc. Add to this that the 8-5-8 is a sub-$7 cigar even in comparably high tax states, and it is a no-brainer.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Why are Cuban cigars considered the best cigars?

Is this a whole new thread topic?
I wouldn't say they are. I have 1 Cuban in my top 10 cigars. It's different for each person. Certainly 20 years ago and earlier Cubans were the best cigars in the world, but the popularity of cigars took off in the 90's and so did the production. Within the past decade the domestic cigar industry has really closed in on the Cuban cigar industry.

Not sure if you like Maduro cigars. Maduro is a type of wrapper that has been fermented. It becomes darker and a little bit sweeter. They are my favorites.

You can get Oliva Series 'G' Maduro's for around $2.50 a piece.

Padron 2000 Maduro's you can get for around $3.00 a piece. They are one of my favorite cigars regardless of price.

My first real cigar and one of my favorites to this day is the CAO Brazilia. They are normally around $7.00 each but you can get a 5 pack of them on CigarsInternational.com for $14.00. $2.80 a piece ain't bad at all.

One of my more recent discoveries is a Saint Luis Rey Maduro. You can get for $2.50 a peice. http://seriouscigars.com/Saint-Luis-Rey_Cigars_3872_details

If your looking to try some single cigars I would recommend SeriousCigars.com. They sell singles of everything they own. They are a great company.