What's new

A Good Day

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Well, guys, It's been a good one for me.

A bit of background, Yesterday I made a cut with my Xikar and, after god only knows how many cigars it's left in its wake, it finally gums up. One of the blades would stick in when I pushed the eject level, and be resistant to moving in. Pain in the ass, but everything has problems sooner or later.

I figure I'm a smart guy, I can pull it apart and put it all back together...

Half an hour later I've finally got it disassembled (there's Loctite in the screw wells, and they take Torx bits)... Well, when I finally get it all apart :jitb:SPRING! There goes the little metal V-bar that springs the blades apart..

After a half hour of searching, I give up and send an Email to Xikar saying, in more words, Guys, I'm an effin' idiot, here's what I did... Can I use the warranty to get a new V-bar and have this thing reassembled by pros? I hit send and look at the floor in resignation... Oh you little bastard, The V spring is stuck in the lace of my shoe! That's why I couldn't find it!

So, I finally get the whole thing put back together and it works better than new! Hurrah!

Then I dropped it.

Yep. Dropped it.

The little thumb stud to actuate the spring snapped right off. It screws into a spring well, and the threads snapped off in there.

Now I'm emailing Xikar again... Tell them what happened and beg them to take pity on my idiocy, take it in on warranty.

(Wow, that was longer than I expected)

Fast forwards to today, I slept really well and feel better (Even though my gorgeous Xi3, Exotic Amboina Burl cutter is still broken) and I'm off to class. My first one ends a half hour early. Good start to Friday. Log on to BOTL in my free time between classes... Hello! I've been paired with Shuckins for the newbie sampler (and he's a great guy! Thanks for helping me get my first trade going, Ron!) Awesome. Next class goes by fairly swiftly and I'm in my favorite, and last, class of the day, Marriage and Family Therapy. There's an exam today? I did not know that. 18 Essay questions done in 15 minutes, and I actually feel confident about them.

School's done, so I'm going to break for a cigar, Oliva V double robusto. Exceptional. Log online... Guess who got a 98% on an exam that he didn't know was happening? That'd be me. Email? One from Xikar telling me, in more words "Don't sweat it, as long as you can return some discernable piece of cutter-shrapnel to us, we'll replace it, no questions... Ship it on in". I. Love. Xikar.

Fast forward again, I'm home from campus now with a big mug of delicious coffee, "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis (great book), and a La Perla Habana Morado. Not as good as the last one, but my humidor was a little damp (Overhydrated the beads) but still delicious, especially with the coffee.

Finish the day with lasagna with my family, and a bowl of nice icecream.

Man, It's been a good day for me.

Sorry for being so long winded, but it's been a lovely end to the week and I wanted to share. Good Books, good cigars, good food, good family.

And, the Cherry on top, tomorrow I'm meeting with Jack (TheGreekOne) and friends at Cousin's tomorrow for a cigar and good conversation.

I'll stop talking now :rofl:

Cheers,
Jeremy

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Been there, done that with the Xikar cutter 1st time dis-assembly. The v- bar's a tricky little bastard to get back in place. Say hi to Jack for me at tomorrow's smoke.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
We got you covered and I have JUST the cutter till you get yours back! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to some good BOTL time tomorrow!

Mr. BIG_TIME 98%! :rolling:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Nicely done. Sounds like a good day all things considered!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Now that's what I call living Doc! Making the most out of your day & life. "Good Books, good cigars, good food, good family." = Priceless!