What's new

A kinder, gentler FDA thread -- now with facts! (TL/DR, the sky is not falling)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FDA is dedicated to protecting the health of Americans.
People actually believe that ?

I don't know even where to begin. It leads into areas completely outside of the relatively minor realm of cigars. I haven't read too many people asking how is it that government bureaucrats get to determine how thousands or hundreds of thousands of people live their lives. (Using 'administrative law'.) And is the excuse they use "it's for the children" even valid or relevant in this case ? (I don't know any kiddies smoking stoggies.) And why now ?
Some believe in Santa Claus and some believe that the 'big people' in D.C. are looking out for "little ole' us", because they love us and are great humanitarians. - - But, usually these decisions involve a grab for money and for power.

Those who believe the FDA and other such agencies are filled with those wearing angels wings, really need to do their homework. These agencies are captured by outside interests & run by bureaucrats always seeking to extend their reach & budget.

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/use-of-term-fda-should-always-trigger-a-warning/

And as for the 'positive' interpretation of the FDA power grab, - politicians & bureaucrats also said 'you can keep your doctor' and 'your health insurance premiums will go down'. (But later admitted that they purposely lied on both counts.) How did that one work out for the American people ?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new on this cigar forum.

I'm not new when it comes to researching broader health issues, the FDA, and capture by special interests.

Lots of information is out there. Start with the link I provided and see if the stats bear out what that investigative reporter has found.

An ad hominem attack is that made of the speaker/writer rather than his evidence or arguments.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - and this is a completely wild azz brainstorming based on nothing at all but speculation at this point.
If they follow through on all this, and that isn't a foregone conclusion, - - it wouldn't surprise me in the least
in a few years, to find the cigar industry consolidated and dominated by a few players with very deep pockets.
That pattern is seen in many industries. (Banking, for instance.) "Cigars are small peanuts" you say? True, in the bigger scheme of things -- but don't forget that the USA is the biggest premium cigar market in the world.

Again, IMO, - the question should be asked. - - Why now ?

Last edited:

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Received the following reply from my Senator today. Thinking that I should probably reply with more detailed information but not sure if it will make a difference or not.

June 29, 2016
Dear Brian,
Thank you for contacting me about S.441, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2015. I appreciate hearing hearing from you on this issue.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates tobacco products for the public health of all Americans. As you know, tobacco is harmful not only to the smoker but also to those who breathe secondhand smoke. While it continues to remain a personal choice whether to use these products in private, Congress has charged the FDA with regulating tobacco products so that their private use does not cause public harm.
Currently, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009 gives the FDA regulatory authority over tobacco products, including cigars. It also established a premarket review process for new tobacco products, defined as products that enter the market after February 15, 2007. Products that were already commercially marketed in the United States as of February 15, 2007 are "grandfathered" under the law. This means the products may continue to be marketed, so long as they comply with all the provisions of the Tobacco Control Act. The FDA has established several pathways for marketing new tobacco products, including allowing exemptions for products that have the same characteristics as tobacco products that have been grandfathered under the Tobacco Control Act. Products that do not meet those criteria must go through the premarket review application process before being marketed in the United States.
On May 5, 2016, the Department of Health and Human Services finalized the FDA's tobacco deeming regulations, which stated that the grandfather date would remain as February 15, 2007.
Senator Bill Nelson of Florida introduced the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the FDA. This bill was introduced in the Senate in February 2015 and referred to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP), of which I am a member. I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind should this bill come up for consideration.
Again, thank you for contacting me, and please don't hesitate to do so in the future on this or any other matter of concern to you.
Sincerely,

Al Franken
United States Senator

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Received the following reply from my Senator today. Thinking that I should probably reply with more detailed information but not sure if it will make a difference or not.

June 29, 2016
Dear Brian,
Thank you for contacting me about S.441, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2015. I appreciate hearing hearing from you on this issue.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates tobacco products for the public health of all Americans. As you know, tobacco is harmful not only to the smoker but also to those who breathe secondhand smoke. While it continues to remain a personal choice whether to use these products in private, Congress has charged the FDA with regulating tobacco products so that their private use does not cause public harm.
Currently, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009 gives the FDA regulatory authority over tobacco products, including cigars. It also established a premarket review process for new tobacco products, defined as products that enter the market after February 15, 2007. Products that were already commercially marketed in the United States as of February 15, 2007 are "grandfathered" under the law. This means the products may continue to be marketed, so long as they comply with all the provisions of the Tobacco Control Act. The FDA has established several pathways for marketing new tobacco products, including allowing exemptions for products that have the same characteristics as tobacco products that have been grandfathered under the Tobacco Control Act. Products that do not meet those criteria must go through the premarket review application process before being marketed in the United States.
On May 5, 2016, the Department of Health and Human Services finalized the FDA's tobacco deeming regulations, which stated that the grandfather date would remain as February 15, 2007.
Senator Bill Nelson of Florida introduced the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the FDA. This bill was introduced in the Senate in February 2015 and referred to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP), of which I am a member. I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind should this bill come up for consideration.
Again, thank you for contacting me, and please don't hesitate to do so in the future on this or any other matter of concern to you.
Sincerely,

Al Franken
United States Senator
Lol, I got the same horseshit from Diane Feinstein. Bottom line: The Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act is our last hope to prevent the FDA from destroying our industry.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

June 29, 2016
Dear Brian,
Sincerely,

Al Franken
United States Senator
Got the same thing. Started a list of people that need to be slapped back to rationality.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gotta love it when there's a mix of Government regulations to tell us they are looking out for our interests by taxation. Aren't there more things out there for them to protect us from....to debate what the Gov't is going to do or what it wants to do is a bottomless pit of complete and arbitrary BS as they will do what they want to do. It's our plan to buy what we want before the Gov't totally screws it all up and over the years as the industry yo-yos their own pricing up and down I find that I still get great deals on cigars I like w/o feeling the pinch. Look for deals that give us 10 - 20 % off.....free shipping....etc. I've bought enough cigars for 2 lifetimes and ensured that I bought cigars I like when they were on sale...same with pipe tobacco.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love it when there's a mix of Government regulations to tell us they are looking out for our interests by taxation. Aren't there more things out there for them to protect us from....to debate what the Gov't is going to do or what it wants to do is a bottomless pit of complete and arbitrary BS as they will do what they want to do. It's our plan to buy what we want before the Gov't totally screws it all up and over the years as the industry yo-yos their own pricing up and down I find that I still get great deals on cigars I like w/o feeling the pinch. Look for deals that give us 10 - 20 % off.....free shipping....etc. I've bought enough cigars for 2 lifetimes and ensured that I bought cigars I like when they were on sale...same with pipe tobacco.
Well, we can also look at them as 'hard assets' ! In all the Mad Max type movies guns & ammo, booze, good lookin' women, and smokes are highly valued :jimlad: :droid: :cigar: